Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It would be nice to form out of aluminum instead of using fiberglass.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 9.24.58 AM
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. I didn't want to keep picking that fight but that video did nothing to alleviate any of the concerns I'd have with cracking. I mean I did the same static cross-up test when i was debating about hanging my cap rack over the cab a little and saw much more flex out of my truck to the point my cap shifted slightly relative to the bed. All was well after but the reality is that a slow-loaded flex test tells you nothing - its the sudden and often harsh flex that comes with off-roading that will put the most strain on the structure.

With the added cage I have no doubt that truck is fine on road or down forestry roads or even light to moderate off road but an n=1 case is not something I'd trust as a universal all is well for all off-roading. It appears they have separate roof panels as well which would alleviate a lot of that stress and make it a completely different use case than a full camper. Either way, a thick foam seal to the bed and a coupling between shell and camper would likely be all you need.

But in response to your other comment, Ursa Minor is reportedly developing a Gladiator camper but it's TBD how it will be designed. Might just be a cap with a pop-up but it's something that is supposedly on their roadmap.
I agree, we have to accommodate the flex somewhere.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
IMO a truck bed has no place in what you're looking for. Removing the bed for a box design will give you a lot more space and flexibility with a larger floor. Honestly the dream for me in the distant future is to remove the bed and half the cab and build a camper box in the back with a pop-up. Even chopping a bit of the ass end off to improve departure, should be able to get about 6x8 ft of floor space in the back to build up a camper setup.

Basically the dream for me is this one you posted but on a longer chassis.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
IMO a truck bed has no place in what you're looking for. Removing the bed for a box design will give you a lot more space and flexibility with a larger floor. Honestly the dream for me in the distant future is to remove the bed and half the cab and build a camper box in the back with a pop-up. Even chopping a bit of the ass end off to improve departure, should be able to get about 6x8 ft of floor space in the back to build up a camper setup.

Yeah, I sure love the Outpost II with a four door. Removing the bed will get you a wider camper anyway. Now go from a $10K idea to a ?.

I'm with you brother! Here's a mock up of a 4 door Outpost.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Double cab Outpost

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Am I really going to have to build this or can I convince Ursaminor or Alucab to prototype one form me?
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 6.58.36 PM.png
Bite the bullet and build it. That way it will be just the way you want it with no compromises. Also no waiting, you can start this week.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Yeah, I sure love the Outpost II with a four door. Removing the bed will get you a wider camper anyway. Now go from a $10K idea to a ?.

I'm with you brother! Here's a mock up of a 4 door Outpost.
Double cab Outpost.png
Below is a true-to-scale photochop and I don't think it works with a 4 door. With a 4 door cab, it would be like having an 8 foot plus bed length on the back. It works perfectly on a 2 door Gladiator with the standard back roof top (11") as the front seats all the way back are 6" behind the seam, giving you 4-5 inches of room for extra recline and room behind the seats (12" at the bottom)
[Outpost cabin has been ghosted at 60%]
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 2v4

I'm just waiting on FCA to fill my 2 door chassis cab order with a two-tone paint job. I'm sure it will arrive any day now 🤔
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs chassis-cab-matchin

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Below is a true-to-scale photochop and I don't think it works with a 4 door. With a 4 door cab, it would be like having an 8 foot plus bed length on the back. It works perfectly on a 2 door Gladiator with the standard back roof top (11") as the front seats all the way back are 6" behind the seam, giving you 4-5 inches of room for extra recline and room behind the seats (12" at the bottom)
[Outpost cabin has been ghosted at 60%]
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 800x800Gladiator4

I'm just waiting on FCA to fill my 2 door chassis cab order with a two-tone paint job. I'm sure it will arrive any day now 🤔
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 800x800Gladiator4
I like it!

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, now it is a three piece top. Front cap, back cap, and tent. Rubber seals between each and pass through to front.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Gladiator Mule

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Another way to keep the 4 doors. Have a rear entry door, you could leave the cab/bed bulkheads and have a forward kitchen insert to mount where the back seats have been removed. Perhaps a slide-out fridge by opening the passenger rear door?
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs double-1

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Another way to keep the 4 doors. Have a rear entry door, you could leave the cab/bed bulkheads and have a forward kitchen insert to mount where the back seats have been removed. Perhaps a slide-out fridge by opening the passenger rear door?
Start the build! Nice.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!

Here's a shot of my truck with a couple more concepts like the AEV Outpost
Like the bottom one....more room for overhead bed

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
This is what I want on the Gladiator. I keep the front sun roof with a rack on top. From the front seat back the roof lifts for a walk through. I keep the back seats but when folded down, the large seat can be used or turns into a bench for the back and the small seat is where the fridge goes. Access the fridge from the front, outside, or back, and it's even next to my back seat power. I'm guessing add a roll bar tied to the front to stiffen the frame. Am I really going to have to build this or can I convince Ursaminor or Alucab to prototype one form me?
Yep, you hit the nail on the head. This is the one for me.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well if I'm going to have to build this, I'll forgo the side windows and put in a couple gull wing doors, and an Alucab awning. Next I have to figure out the rear entry, how to open up the interior, and build a wedge tent with a push up bed (walk through).
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Gladiator Mule III

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation