Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 97 TJ Sahara, 19 Cherokee Ltd
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
Who made the tent?
Could not find one that fit what I wanted, so I used some of my old camp gear and modified to fit my cargoslide when extended. Gives me options up to about an 8' long inside area.
I modified an old tent I(Cabela's I-Pod unit) by removing small end, then taped open edges and seams to make it fit. Used 3 poles from a Cabela's Cot Tree and made mounts on slide to stand them in when it is extended. My canopy is the RLD stainless steel unit, so I form a seal of the tent edges with magnets. Easy set-up and works for my purposes.
Since the below photos, I bought longer gas struts for the rear hatch to stand it at a higher angle> Then modified tent to go over the hatch to add higher inside clearance for a 32"x42" area. I can now sit inside in a low camp chair to be out of wind and weather (I do a lot of trips to mountains and desert areas.) I also insulated roof and part of sides and end with Reflectix.
I have removed the bed platform and just started working on version 3.1 to raise sleeping area and improve cargo storage. But, I will not be able to work on it again for several weeks. Hope to finish it in March for my trip to NM and AZ in April.
If I ever build a "perfect" mock-up with easy materials, I may have a duplicate professionally built from aluminum? We will see, as I had several versions in my JKUR over 5 years before trading it in for the Mojave. First formed tent from old sheets and was planning on having a tent made from my pattern, but then realized I could modify this heavy duty tent from the pattern, and it works when I want to close off the back.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 20210811_103148

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 20210706_Glad Bed 2

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 20210811_103356
Sponsored

Last edited:

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
Good point. But for people with solar it’s easily replenished.
I got some batteries to power electrical stuff at camp like blankets or kids stuff, so if I can heat a couple things off that without having to pack a jetboil or Coleman stove, then that will save some space.
But you’re right it’ll be slower and use plenty of electricity.
Agree. I have solar panels I can use if needed, but so far my set-up with the Jackery does everything unless do not drive each day. It was the 2nd best camp accessory I purchased. First was Dometic powered fridge ( and freezer later.)
I have a Dometic 35L ( for freezer) and a Dometic 18L ( for fridge) mounted in back seat area. My Jackery is in floor behind passenger seat. I have Fridge plugged into Jackery. Freezer is plugged into both Jackery and a 12v run from Aux switches. Jackery is plugged into the vehicle's inverter.
When driving, Jackery charges while it runs Fridge. I run Feezer off 12V Aux switch. When I set up camp, I switch Freezer from Aux Switch to the Jackery. I normally run the 12v oven or 12v saucepan from the Jeep battery. Normally just use one, but could split one to Jeep and one to Jackery.
Jackery is usually fully charged when I set up camp.
Running Fridge and Freezer, plus a couple cups of coffee in an old single cup drip brewer,, and intermittent use of a 12v fan in sleeping area if needed, leaves me with over 40% power when I crank up to head out the next day and let it recharge again. If it is really cold weather, I switch off fridge and freezer overnight and let them maintain internal temps. I can then run a 375w heater from my Jackery for a short time before bed and in morning before I get up to knock the chill off.

Last edited:

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
Doesn't anyone use a jet boil and camp stove anymore? :LOL:

Electric to heat is not a very efficient use of limited electric power.
I do have a butane stove I use occasionally. Especially if we have a campsite we return to each afternoon. Love it, but does not make me happy in strong winds, or if I am freexing cold and could be cooking inside with electric!

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Agree 100%. I like to keep gear compact and easy to move, as I sleep on platform in bed with my tent extension. Like to travel with everything protected inside canopy. Nice to leave gear inside if raining, or under tailgate if weather permits. I am trying to consolidate gear boxes/bags for different types of trips and different seasons, where I only need to grab the three or so appropriate boxes/bags and head out !

Since mine is a daily driver, want to park in garage, but have 82" height limitation. Wish I could find a 5' canopy with a hinged top that would allow standing in bed area, even if had to stoop. Looked at topper lift, but just not sold on it. If you ever see any ideas, please let me know.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 20210811_103356

Camper Inside.jpg
Nice looking setup. I've thought about the canopy and then a ground tent that attaches to the back.
IMG_0759~2.jpg
something like this, but to a canopy. We already have the truck tent and it's ok, but I'd like something a bit more secure.

Not that it helps, but I've seen online a canopy that the top flips over 180 degrees to open into a tent. It would be 10 feet when open. Don't remember the make, if I come acrossed it again, I'll post.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Could not find one that fit what I wanted, so I used some of my old camp gear and modified to fit my cargoslide when extended. Gives me options up to about an 8' long inside area.
I modified an old tent I(Cabela's I-Pod unit) by removing small end, then taped open edges and seams to make it fit. Used 3 poles from a Cabela's Cot Tree and made mounts on slide to stand them in when it is extended. My canopy is the RLD stainless steel unit, so I form a seal of the tent edges with magnets. Easy set-up and works for my purposes.
Since the below photos, I bought longer gas struts for the rear hatch to stand it at a higher angle> Then modified tent to go over the hatch to add higher inside clearance for a 32"x42" area. I can now sit inside in a low camp chair to be out of wind and weather (I do a lot of trips to mountains and desert areas.) I also insulated roof and part of sides and end with Reflectix.
I have removed the bed platform and just started working on version 3.1 to raise sleeping area and improve cargo storage. But, I will not be able to work on it again for several weeks. Hope to finish it in March for my trip to NM and AZ in April.
If I ever build a "perfect" mock-up with easy materials, I may have a duplicate professionally built from aluminum? We will see, as I had several versions in my JKUR over 5 years before trading it in for the Mojave. First formed tent from old sheets and was planning on having a tent made from my pattern, but then realized I could modify this heavy duty tent from the pattern, and it works when I want to close off the back.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 6.54.23 AM

I love this! DIY tent mod to a Gladiator, with a slide. Very innovative.

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
Talking about traveling light and easy, Front runner dropped the price of their old style Wolf Packs. Mine are on order. I've got the perfect place to put them in my rig.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-wolf-pack.html

That is a good deal. I used to use an assortment of tool boxes and bags, and had them placed by height to lay my foam or air mattress in in back of my JKUR. They were limited to smaller items.
I found the below Bauer boxes at Harbor Freight, bought two plus one of the open crates. They lock together, store a lot and can be used as a table base with a piece of thin plywood top that lays flat on bed floor under them when not in use.. I have cookware and eating utensils in one. Other is misc items depending on trip. Then the ope crate is used for camp tools, etc ( hatchet, folding saw, entrenching tool, stakes, rope, etc.

The wolfpack looks great, may be stronger and is definitely cheaper,!! Too late for me, as I have the others already, but great recommendation for others.

I am building my new bed frame where they will be at the same height beside bed or slide just under it. Want to test it both ways before I decide..

https://www.harborfreight.com/large-modular-toolbox-58511.html?_br_psugg_q=bauer

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
Nice looking setup. I've thought about the canopy and then a ground tent that attaches to the back.
something like this, but to a canopy. We already have the truck tent and it's ok, but I'd like something a bit more secure.

Not that it helps, but I've seen online a canopy that the top flips over 180 degrees to open into a tent. It would be 10 feet when open. Don't remember the make, if I come acrossed it again, I'll post.
If you run across that again, please send a link! I thought about getting one of the ground tents that would attach to the rear, but I wanted a locking hard canopy and then needed to modify from there.

Right now, I also have a lightweight nylon tarp 10x13 that I drape over the top and tie off when it is raining. It provides outside standing or sitting room at the tent entrance, and I can drop the sides to shield when I am bathing or changing clothes. On my JKUR, I had an ARB fold out awning and it was a PIA to deploy and then to store. Stored in my garage and will probably never use again as is, but may find need for the tarp or poles in afuture DIY project..

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
Here's my review of the Dash Mini Griddle vs. Road Pro Skillet for solo truck camping.

The Dash Mini (120v 350 watt) took about 10 minutes (including 5 minute heat up) to cook the Ham, Egg & Cheese Bagel and the Road Pro (12v 180 watt) took 25 minutes (including 10 minute heat up).

If I only took one of these camping, it would have to be the Road Pro. It's slower, but it can also heat up soup and boil water, and the Dash Mini can't. The Road Pro will also work in any vehicle with a 12v cigarette outlet.

That being said, the Dash Mini is only $12 where the Road Pro is $41. I'm keeping both of them.

Oh look, the rich guy showing off his eggs.....

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It might not be fancy but it’s pretty nice on a cold night not to go outside. Especially for an old fart like me.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 663EE299-1A93-4D33-93BC-D1EB0C699B30

Sponsored

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
It might not be fancy but it’s pretty nice on a cold night not to go outside. Especially for an old fart like me.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 663EE299-1A93-4D33-93BC-D1EB0C699B30
Agree 100%. That was one of reasons I worked to raise the interior height of part of my tent, to allow sitting inside. Days of a shovel and 50 ' trek into the woods at 4 AM in cold or rain is not something I want to repeat at this age.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Agree 100%. That was one of reasons I worked to raise the interior height of part of my tent, to allow sitting inside. Days of a shovel and 50 ' trek into the woods at 4 AM in cold or rain is not something I want to repeat at this age.
It's nice to have some standing room in the back of the truck, when the upstairs bed is pulled down, for those 4am breaks. I haven't updated the drawing, but you get the idea.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 7.36.41 AM

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice day for chili by the river.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 28D90A33-EDB1-41A5-969E-4EBDA3CDC3D6
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs ED2E61F9-B9A2-431F-AD99-74F8A18B4441

Last edited:

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Anybody have any idea who makes this?
20230204_201122.jpg

Seen it at the local ski resort. Blastered with stickers on the back, but couldn't make out a brand or model.
Sponsored