Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I like the idea of integration between cab and bed but in practice, I can't imagine the flex between the two would make such a design practical in any way. The only way it would work is a flexible coupling between the two that can allow for the flex.

Best bet will likely be a bed replacement with an extension over the cab to maximize sleeping space if you want the largest accommodations possible.

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
I like the idea of integration between cab and bed but in practice, I can't imagine the flex between the two would make such a design practical in any way. The only way it would work is a flexible coupling between the two that can allow for the flex.

Best bet will likely be a bed replacement with an extension over the cab to maximize sleeping space if you want the largest accommodations possible.

The flex isn't as bad as you would think. This guy converted his Gladiator into a Waggladiatorneer.

Enclosed Gladiator

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The flex isn't as bad as you would think. This guy converted his Gladiator into a Waggladiatorneer.

Enclosed Gladiator
Thanks for the link! I was betting there wasn't much flex in this truck and this proved it. Now to come up with a fiberglass expedition shell that replaces the front cap and opens up the interior like the Spartan. I would add a roll bar stiffener like they did to minimize the flex even more.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Spartan.PNG

Sponsored

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
Just imagine doing what he did with the Spartan but remove all seats except the front two. You can make quite the rig while still keeping it around 1,000-1,600 lbs or less I would imagine.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, here is my version of a pop top for a Gladiator. I think I'm getting pretty close to what I want. I want to keep the OEM look, and open up the interior to be able to walk through. I'm getting a little better at photoshop. I might have to split the cap in two at the bed flex line. Instead of windows, I could add fold down table to one side and storage bin on the other. Light weight and convertible between a truck cap or a camper. Color match to the truck and I'd be a happy camper!
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Gladiator XL3.PNG

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Got a link?
Sorry nope. It was just a random photo posted there with no information or links. Just the same "It looks great" and "who makes this" only in French, with no one knowing anything other than 'we want one!'

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The Jeep Far Out concept is a contender. The color matching, rounded corners, fold down sides, faked big rear window, roof deck (check out the awesome roof rack!) make it look OEM. Maybe I need to contact AT Overland and see if they will color match my Crystal Granite and add the Jeep Prototype rounded corners and front cap filler (look close). The awnings on both sides hide the square looking cap. I'd prefer not having a tent, but it would be near impossible to get all this space without it. Man, if you could open this to the front cab, it would be incredible.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Farout.PNG
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Farout2.PNG
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Farout3.PNG

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I want on the Gladiator. I keep the front sun roof with a rack on top. From the front seat back the roof lifts for a walk through. I keep the back seats but when folded down, the large seat can be used or turns into a bench for the back and the small seat is where the fridge goes. Access the fridge from the front, outside, or back, and it's even next to my back seat power. I'm guessing add a roll bar tied to the front to stiffen the frame. Am I really going to have to build this or can I convince Ursaminor or Alucab to prototype one form me?
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 6.58.36 PM

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

I'm still struggling with the flex issue. In the end, a big rubber coupling might be best. It would be safer than trying to stop the flex of a vehicle built for 4 wheeling.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I'm still struggling with the flex issue. In the end, a big rubber coupling might be best. It would be safer than trying to stop the flex of a vehicle built for 4 wheeling.
Exactly. I didn't want to keep picking that fight but that video did nothing to alleviate any of the concerns I'd have with cracking. I mean I did the same static cross-up test when i was debating about hanging my cap rack over the cab a little and saw much more flex out of my truck to the point my cap shifted slightly relative to the bed. All was well after but the reality is that a slow-loaded flex test tells you nothing - its the sudden and often harsh flex that comes with off-roading that will put the most strain on the structure.

With the added cage I have no doubt that truck is fine on road or down forestry roads or even light to moderate off road but an n=1 case is not something I'd trust as a universal all is well for all off-roading. It appears they have separate roof panels as well which would alleviate a lot of that stress and make it a completely different use case than a full camper. Either way, a thick foam seal to the bed and a coupling between shell and camper would likely be all you need.

But in response to your other comment, Ursa Minor is reportedly developing a Gladiator camper but it's TBD how it will be designed. Might just be a cap with a pop-up but it's something that is supposedly on their roadmap.
Sponsored