Gladiator Fiberglass Shell

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I really like the feel of this one too. As others have said, I would really want it to be a full top replacement so I could easily pass through from back seat into the bed. The dogs can sleep back there, we can reach things in the bed while driving or if we pull over and don't want to get out. Stick a wedge tent on top (a la GoFastCampers) and this thing is perfection.
Same thinking here. Have to see in person. Hey @Bobs85Reny , did you ever make one by shifting the back section of the roof all the way to the tailgate? In real construction, that might fit perfectly. You'd only have to fabricate flat parts to fill the middle sections. Then you'd have it! Either that or pirate JLU hardtop back and I bet that back window would meet up okay with the tailgate just like a camper shell back window. Maybe just pirate a bunch of pieces and puzzle it together...
Sponsored

nikoli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
I love the look and versatility of the 3/4 rack, but don't have the clearance in our garage due to a parking lift (I don't have an inch to spare). Please offer a topper only configuration, ideally with locations to mount gear on the sides. I'm hoping to install a full drawer system in the bed combined with a cargo slide for the large items, so the side access windows/storage boxes won't be needed.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Same thinking here. Have to see in person. Hey @Bobs85Reny , did you ever make one by shifting the back section of the roof all the way to the tailgate? In real construction, that might fit perfectly. You'd only have to fabricate flat parts to fill the middle sections. Then you'd have it! Either that or pirate JLU hardtop back and I bet that back window would meet up okay with the tailgate just like a camper shell back window. Maybe just pirate a bunch of pieces and puzzle it together...
We really need to get jscherb over here talking tops. Not only does he make the pictures, he's built several variations on the tops for wranglers.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/converting-a-factory-jk-jku-hardtop-to-modular.160775/

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
^^^

I agree the guy is talented but he never brings his designs to production.

We need to find someone or a company with the capabilities to produce and market these designs so we can actually get one....
JMHO.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 Renegade, 81 Cj8 Scrammler, 84 CJ8 Scrambler, 89 YJ Laredo, 06 Wrangler LJ, 86 CJ7, 02 Liberty, 16 jeePatriot

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Yah he's had a handful of his designs/inventions go to market with someone else. I think he just likes to design stuff and prototype it but has no interest in manufacturing. I think he sold the Dinnoot design for their trailers, or licenses the designs to them.

One advantage he has, he takes existing tops and chops them or modifies them to his new design. There aren't any Gladiator tops out there to modify at this point.

OP
OP
Pizziola29

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
I think it would be better to do this and attach the rack to the bed cap only, and giving it enough clearance to move around the front. But not bringing posts down so that they fall "outside" the lines of the bed.
Ok starting to get close to where first one will look like. Technical drawings are almost done. The side window will be centered front to back and top to bottom. The glass guy is going to make it open up at an angle like the snug top or ARE shells.

2019-08-21_1330.png

OP
OP
Pizziola29

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
Ok starting to get close to where first one will look like. Technical drawings are almost done. The side window will be centered front to back and top to bottom. The glass guy is going to make it open up at an angle like the snug top or ARE shells.

2019-08-21_1330.png
Also what do you think about a square corner vs a more rounded?

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Also what do you think about a square corner vs a more rounded?
I think the square corners (to match the Gladiator hard top) is ideal. I keep worrying that the only option will be these rounded things that match most truck's roof profile. This is a good looking top, though I'd like to see it as black to match the unpainted hard top.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
We discussed this in the thread that I originally posted this in. the rack would be 2 pieces as well as the top.
I think even better it would just mount to the top of the bed like this and only go halfway over the cab.

That way the wife could still pop the top over the driver and passenger seats and the husband can still keep all the gear on top. With no problem of articulation.

2020-jeep-gladiator-rendered-with-bed-topper3.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I WOULD BUY THIS! (Gotta make sure the windows are operable with screens for the doggos.

I'm a big fan of @Bobs85Reny renderings!

OP
OP
Pizziola29

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
I think the square corners (to match the Gladiator hard top) is ideal. I keep worrying that the only option will be these rounded things that match most truck's roof profile. This is a good looking top, though I'd like to see it as black to match the unpainted hard top.
I will make the top black and the shell black so you can see.

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

2019-08-21_1330.png
Can you make the windows removable? I'd like to get webbing (at least) over the windows to contain my dogs.

PS - Start a list! I'd like to be #1... :angel:
Sponsored