Gladiator hoods aluminum or steel?

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Overland hoods are made of unobtanium, place any magnetic device nearby, and the fender comes up and slaps the snot out of you. This is more of a PSA for new owners. All existing Overland owners are already aware.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I found out at a funeral there is nowhere to put the "FUNERAL" Magnet on the gladiator except my aftermarket bumper and it wasn't visible there.
The bed is steel or would that be considered the quarter panels?

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I got a door ding early on. Doors and hood etc are aluminum. Cowl too. Body guy who took out my dent showed me a magnet on everything. Sport S.

My Rubicon Hood is Aluminum. Just about every panel is Aluminum except behind the rear doors and the bed sides.

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
All North American spec Gladiator hoods are aluminum. All Export spec are Steel (euro, Middle East and Australia) due to pedestrian safety laws.

also the Mojave hood is Aluminum, I have a damaged one at work and it’s 100% aluminum.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
also the Mojave hood is Aluminum, I have a damaged one at work and it’s 100% aluminum.
Huh. I had heard the Mo' had a steel hood from more than one source. Not arguing; I wonder if they changed it mid-cycle?

Any Mo'wners (LOL, I just made that up) wanna do a magnet test?

Sponsored

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
I walked around my gladiator with a magnet just for fun... seems most panels are alloy... cab structure is steel and so is the bed.... most everything else is an alloy panel, plastic fender, etc (and i think its fine)

we have a Ford Expedition at work. We had logo’d magnets made, same as previous but this time we re did them, new better... didn’t stick to the alloy doors!

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
Huh. I had heard the Mo' had a steel hood from more than one source. Not arguing; I wonder if they changed it mid-cycle?

i will check tomorrow, but the weight of my Mojave hood, pretty sure it’s steel.

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link

here’s a damaged Mojave hood I had at work today. Car wash closed on it and put some dents and small holes in the hood. It’s 100% aluminum.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator hoods aluminum or steel? CF052566-AE15-4032-B84C-4BFBE56D7A67

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
My Rubicon hood does not pass the magnet test, so is either aluminum or stainless steel (very unlikely.)
Sorry I must be wrong then. Looked up the part online and the description said steel. It was on the Quadratec website, so I was probably not looking at the OEM hood. It was mopar brand.

Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Some grades of stainless are mildly magnetic. The exhaust headers and crossover on the V11 are of that type. The welding shop explained this when I had a crack at the head flange.

OP
OP

kryplr

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Max Tow
Occupation
Operations tech
Thank you for the input

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Well JTRUBI, then there is at least one aluminum Mojave hood , but mine is clearly steel, magnet sticks to it, it is heavy, and I have redline tuning struts on both my Mojave and my wifes JL, her JL hood is aluminum, and actually one of the struts easily lifts it, two work great, the Mojave hood is a bear to lift. Struts are specfic to Mojave and export jeeps, I talked to red line, and they said they could adjust to stiffer if needed , but they are already stiff. The Mojave hood won't stay up with one strut, works slowly but fine with two, and was much, much harder to compress to install. That said I love the struts, and love that heavy ass steel hood , enjoy watching acorns and hickory nuts bounce off it, Ha!......Jack

OP
OP

kryplr

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Max Tow
Occupation
Operations tech
JTRUBI,

Would you be able to advise where I could purchase a American hood that is aluminum? Most of the sites I look at say steel.

shyoung1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave(SOLD) 2023 F350 Superduty
Very curious why Jeep would put a plastic bumper on the Mojave to save weight, but then use a heavy steel hood??
Especially when most JT’s seem to use aluminum hoods.
Sponsored