Gladiator Long distance heavy tow review

vegasdavetv

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator Rubicon and wife has a 16 JKU backcountry
This one is a great review on towing, 4000 miles near max load. Heck, no reason to duplicate words, check out my video on it please. happy new year all.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
So 500lbs inside the cab, 800lbs in the bed. The trailer was 6,850lbs meaning 685lbs of tongue weight should be added to the payload. So you drove that JT weighed down nearly 2000lbs, about 500lbs over the doorjam payload of most Max Tow Sports? That's a Rubicon so you're near max towing and way over max payload. Glad to see the JT did fine. Wonder what the long-term effects are going to be

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Trailer with car was over 6800? Seriously? How much does that CAR weigh?
My car hauler is 1500 pounds. Spare and tool box add about 100 pounds. So figure 1600 for trailer.
My car's curb weight is 3100 pounds. (some say 3200 but that's likely with auto, my little SX4 is a stick)
1600 + 3100 = 4700 pounds for my trailer with car.
Those uhaul trailers must be heavy - or that is a 5,000 pound car.

If I put 680 pounds of tongue weight on mine I'd not be able to see the road - I'd be bird watching LOL

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My car hauler is 1500 pounds. Spare and tool box add about 100 pounds. So figure 1600 for trailer.
My car's curb weight is 3100 pounds. (some say 3200 but that's likely with auto, my little SX4 is a stick)

If I put 680 pounds of tongue weight on mine I'd not be able to see the road - I'd be bird watching LOL
I couldnt watch the video, the auto subtitles said the weights. I wrote the post to confirm that I was not misinformed or misunderstood

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Heck I drove around all day bird watching and I didn't even have to tow around a 5,000 pound pregnant roller-skate:CWL:. I was out looking for Snowy Owls with zero luck:(

Sponsored

OP
OP
vegasdavetv

vegasdavetv

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 and change is what the scale showed me. the bed and cab weight was estimated,, but I'm sure it's pretty close to stated as some of the heavier items I knew there weight.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Heck I drove around all day bird watching and I didn't even have to tow around a 5,000 pound pregnant roller-skate:CWL:. I was out looking for Snowy Owls with zero luck:(
Bummer - owls are COOL - I've never seen a snowy owl other than on TV (nature shows, etc.) or in captivity. Neat birds, neat hunters.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant

I simple search yielded that a U-Haul car hauler weighs 2210 pounds and the curb weight of a Hyundai Ioniq is 3115 so there is some weight that is unaccounted for.

Sponsored

OP
OP
vegasdavetv

vegasdavetv

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
exactly, except the car weight was 3220 before loading. it was bulked out with weight inside and fully loaded up. scale was 68 and change as she was loaded and towed. the point is being missed here as to my review, long distance heavy towing across country, she did great. so call it 6850, call it 5500 call it 4500, I dont care, I know what the weight showed on scale. the point was gladiator was great. the whole trip :)

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And you had nearly 2000lbs in payload (occupants plus stuff in the cab and bed plus tongue weight of trailer)? If so, that's almost double the payload rating of most JTR doorjams I have seen

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I simple search yielded that a U-Haul car hauler weighs 2210 pounds and the curb weight of a Hyundai Ioniq is 3115 so there is some weight that is unaccounted for.
I didn't figure that little CAR was all that heavy, not even 4,000 pounds. It's a car, not an SUV (and most things called SUV today I have to LAUGH hard)

Wow those uhaul trailers are heavy!
My 20' PJ all steel trailer with full 5" channel steel frame running the full length with two 60 pound ramps was only 140 pounds more than that tiny narrow short little uhaul thing.
The tongue weight on that trailer is heavy - that car's weight is mostly ahead of the rear axle. He says there were tool chests in the floor, and the rear floor pan is sitting mid-way of the trailer axles meaning the full drivetrain is ahead of the trailer axle.
I will bet you that there's more than 10% on the tongue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And you had nearly 2000lbs in payload (occupants plus stuff in the cab and bed plus tongue weight of trailer)? If so, that's almost double the payload rating of most JTR doorjams I have seen
800 pounds in the box, 700 pounds tongue weight (I'll bet that much because uhaul has the cars clean to the front, a light-assed car will be close to 3/4 of the weight ahead of the center of the axles). Let's be nice and say 400 in the cab. He said 500 with driver and tools and boxes. 1900-2000 pounds payload. At least.

That little Rubicon was more than maxed out on payload. Isn't the basic Rubicon payload 1250 or something like that? So it's already maxed out payload-wise before the trailer was hooked up.
Towing likely close to the 7,000 pound limit.
Very good thing those trailers have the surge brakes! That's a heck of a lot of trailer weight back there to run no brakes.
Wow.

OP
OP
vegasdavetv

vegasdavetv

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And you had nearly 2000lbs in payload (occupants plus stuff in the cab and bed)? If so, that's almost double the payload rating of most JTR doorjams I have seen
I got 1300 ish
800 pounds in the box, 700 pounds tongue weight (I'll bet that much because uhaul has the cars clean to the front, a light-assed car will be close to 3/4 of the weight ahead of the center of the axles). Let's be nice and say 400 in the cab. He said 500 with driver and tools and boxes. 1900-2000 pounds payload. At least.

That little Rubicon was more than maxed out on payload. Isn't the basic Rubicon payload 1250 or something like that? So it's already maxed out payload-wise before the trailer was hooked up.
Towing likely close to the 7,000 pound limit.
Very good thing those trailers have the surge brakes! That's a heck of a lot of trailer weight back there to run no brakes.
Wow.
brings me back to the point of the video, whatever Weight you want to use, it was maxed out and point being made, no issues, no problems, drove and handled like a champ. hills, long grades,mountains with snow, crazy winds.
Sponsored