Sponsored

TFL: Can the New 2020 Jeep Gladiator Tow a Trailer With The Best Of Them? Highway MPG Review

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'm curious about that 8.5 mpg. I saw they were doing 70+ on the highway. I drive a JKU and know that dropping to 65 mph significantly improves my mileage. When towing, again, hanging out at or below 65 improves all of that. (I hate to hear that engine screaming at high RPMs.) I wonder if, on flat land and doing 65 with 6k lbs will net better results.
most likely but if they're consistent in load, mph and route, then they can use the mpg for comparison purposes.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
@steffen707 thanks for that inception... you mention your Pacifica and now I’m randomly getting Pacifica ads! :giggle:

0A778F8A-55CC-48E5-9C65-D9DCD5C1CC24.png
LMAO, just wait until your pacifica ads start giving you ads within their adds, TRIPPY 2 levels down stuff.

4fc7f90887345.jpg

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Not great but competitive with other naturally aspirated mid-size V-6 trucks. I imagine the diesel will do better, but I'm all outta waiting. Honestly if I needed the towing, payload, room, or fuel economy I'd do the new Silverado with the 3.0 I-6. I thought I'd go that way as the build out on the Sport S for me is going to be about the same price as the Silverado. However, I did the test drive with the JT yesterday and found it so freaking easy to drive around town compared to my full-size.

WRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Keep in mind that on a highway towing loop, mileage is going to be tied more to the wind resistance of the trailer rather than the weight. If you pull a 6' wide trailer instead of a monster horse trailer, you should see significantly better mileage

Sponsored

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Two points:

1. The two clicks is simply to preserve a scientific method. Apples to apples. Fuel pumps can vary in emulsification and by filling each tank in the exact same way, arguments of variances are now eliminated. You could put in more fuel (or less) but that’s not what this is about. TFL is about real world accuracy trumping lawyers and factory engineering data. In a word, TFL is about truth and I am grateful for their work.

2. The editing process usually takes far less time than has passed since their Ike Gauntlet test. Serious performance and corporate credibility is on the line right now.

Now.... I am only speculating! ....

Could it be that FCA is embarrassed by the results? Could we be taking a “time out“ to ensure Fiat / Chrysler is given every opportunity to save face?

Again, the speculation is mine alone.

Thank you TFL.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Two points:

1. The two clicks is simply to preserve a scientific method. Apples to apples. Fuel pumps can vary in emulsification and by filling each tank in the exact same way, arguments of variances are now eliminated. You could put in more fuel (or less) but that’s not what this is about. TFL is about real world accuracy trumping lawyers and factory engineering data. In a word, TFL is about truth and I am grateful for their work.

2. The editing process usually takes far less time than has passed since their Ike Gauntlet test. Serious performance and corporate credibility is on the line right now.

Could it be that FCA is embarrassed by the results? Could we be taking a “time out“ to ensure Fiat / Chrysler is given every opportunity to save face?

Thank you TFL.
Totally makes sense on point #1. You always make sure you have the same amount in the tank.

For point #2 - I don't think FCA is embarrassed. They ran their own tests, we saw pictures (and I think video?) of that. They probably even ran the same tests they knew others would run. They knew the truth before we even knew it. They also know that the majority of people considering this as a truck are not looking to tow 7000lbs on a regular basis....

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ

Thank you TFL.
I tend to think it’s not so devious, maybe TFL thinks by spacing out the videos we will check back into their site more often and generate more traffic?

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I tend to think it’s not so devious, maybe TFL thinks by spacing out the videos we will check back into their site more often and generate more traffic?
But that in and of itself is devious.. ;)

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
i posted in another thread, but the owners manual says "ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications” in this manual."

This is the same as my hybrid van with 3.6L pentastar.

So even if it doesn't require a long break in, i'm wondering if a 4000 mile break in makes the MPG come up.
My JLUR increased around 1mpg after a couple thousand miles, hoping the JT does the same. I went from around 19.5 to 20.5 in the JL, half way through the first tank has me at ~18.5 in the JT.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My JLUR increased around 1mpg after a couple thousand miles, hoping the JT does the same. I went from around 19.5 to 20.5 in the JL, half way through the first tank has me at ~18.5 in the JT.
what type of driving? mostly highway, mostly city or combined?

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
This is by far the most useful video regarding the Gladiator but the real world anticipates Part 2 of the Real World Review. Real Jeeps climb real mountains. We can’t wait to see the Ike Gauntlet......PLEASE!! : )
Sponsored