Gladiator on order and now not sure

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Thanks for the information, We really have to have the 4 door as we have so many people that run around with us. It just seems to me there is really not much room in the bed anyway for dirt bikes or quads, and then we are still lifting them up high into the bed just like our Dodge. Also from videos I have been watching, it sure looks like 37" tall tires are required to get the ground clearance that the Gladiator needs to clear things. With a trailer we will be able to get more on, and it has easier loading and you can leave it somewhere if need be.

I am still thinking but right now I am leaning towards the Wrangler, I am going to put a pro's and cons side by side list together and see what it looks like for our needs and how we will use it.
The JT with a cover has more space for things than the back of a wrangler. Also from a doorless/topless perspective the Gladiator is the only option if you want to use it to run errands in that state.

Yes I use the JT to tow, but even if I didn't it would still be my choice over a wrangler.
Sponsored

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Thanks for the information, We really have to have the 4 door as we have so many people that run around with us. It just seems to me there is really not much room in the bed anyway for dirt bikes or quads, and then we are still lifting them up high into the bed just like our Dodge. Also from videos I have been watching, it sure looks like 37" tall tires are required to get the ground clearance that the Gladiator needs to clear things. With a trailer we will be able to get more on, and it has easier loading and you can leave it somewhere if need be.

I am still thinking but right now I am leaning towards the Wrangler, I am going to put a pro's and cons side by side list together and see what it looks like for our needs and how we will use it.
For what you described, the Tacoma would be the clear winner here.

OP
OP

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
Got out today and stopped by a dealer in Brookings Oregon, they let me take out a new Wrangler Rubicon. I drove it all a round town and some up highway 101, what a beautiful coast line:) Anyway I love the Wrangler Rubicon it was so much fun, in and out of parking lots, up hills and down hills it was great:like: I like everything about it, how the seats fold flat and how the tail gate opens all great. So it looks like I need to place our order now. I think the only thing we are adding is the tow package and 3piece hard top, unless you guys say there is just something we shouldn't live with out? Oh ya we have to decide on the color, Sting Gray or Sarge Green :beer:

OP
OP

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
I wanted to add that all through I am going Wrangler instead of the Gladiator. Our area is full of new Gladiators I mean like all over the place, coming at us, turning the corner from all directions and in the coffee drive through:LOL: The dealer I was at had a few on the lot, and the town of Brookings had 4+ go by us in the few hours that we were there.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Got out today and stopped by a dealer in Brookings Oregon, they let me take out a new Wrangler Rubicon. I drove it all a round town and some up highway 101, what a beautiful coast line:) Anyway I love the Wrangler Rubicon it was so much fun, in and out of parking lots, up hills and down hills it was great:like: I like everything about it, how the seats fold flat and how the tail gate opens all great. So it looks like I need to place our order now. I think the only thing we are adding is the tow package and 3piece hard top, unless you guys say there is just something we shouldn't live with out? Oh ya we have to decide on the color, Sting Gray or Sarge Green :beer:
The Aux switches are a good value if you ever plan on adding anything electrical. I also really like that I upgraded to the 8.4 audio. Other than bedliner and cargo management I didn't get any other features on my JT and haven't missed out on anything. I even went soft top only and don't regret that at all.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Heh, I kept my YJ and use it in town exactly as you describe. My wife says it's almost as easy to park as her convertible Mini was. Of course, I see 12 MPG.......

Looking forward to towing it with the Gladiator when I want to go somewhere/do something where the JTR won't fit.

If mainly using for running around town and 4 wheeling have you considered the 2 door Wrangler? I had one and it is a blast to run around town. Short wheel base, will turn on a dime. Every parking spot is EASY. We took out the back bench seat and ended up with a very nice large cargo area that was very easy to load. Gas mileage with the 3.31 axle ratio and light weight gave easy 30+ hwy mileage. Went from Stuart, FL to Orr's Island Maine and back and averaged 28.2 MPG including around town in Orr's. Good luck, Bob

OP
OP

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
Yes I am very much looking forward to running the Wrangler all around. I drive my 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins short bed everywhere and park right down town with no issues 20 times a week:LOL: but it will be nice to have a much smaller vehicle. I like the wheel base on the Wrangler 118" which I think is just right and will still provide good stability. My Isuzu trooper is 104" wheel base and my Ram is 147" The 1985 Jeep that I bought new was way short and tried to kill me a few times, I pulled out of a friends driveway at speed:angel: and made a quick right and the Jeep came all the way over and scraped the door handle on the pavement, me and my weight hanging onto the wheel made the Jeep go left and pulled it pulled it back up:whew: also rolled it on its side backing down a really steep climb, and on Icey roads that short wheel base was a death ride.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Steve,
Nothing wrong with your choice if it fits your needs. Good luck with your purchase. Hopefully the JL forum will be as beneficial to you as this forum. We are all Jeep family!
Sponsored