Sponsored

Gladiator or another brand for a work truck?

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
Everyone else has pretty much said it, but +1 for getting a utilitarian full size truck for real work. I own a Gladiator because I do not do real work lol (wfh desk job; glorified mathematician)

Personally my pick would be the F-150, but it's really down to preference if it's that or the Silverado/Sierra, or Ram. IDK if Toyota and Nissan have fleet versions of the tundra and titan but they could be alternate options too. Simpler is better with those, simple is reliable most often.
8' bed, base engine, 2wd; just for working.

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
I have no idea. This is where spending $50 on an electronic subscription to Consumer Reports is probably worth it.

My gut says Toyota. But I really don't know.
CR is not Jeep people, they don't understand. It's rated pretty low. I bought a Gladiator anyway! And I absolutely love mine with the 3.6 gas and 8 spd auto!

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR is not Jeep people, they don't understand. It's rated pretty low. I bought a Gladiator anyway! And I absolutely love mine with the 3.6 gas and 8 spd auto!
CR is not concerned with soul or intangible benefits.

But for a work truck, especially if its driven by employees, that all matters less.

Reliability, fuel economy, ability to haul/tow. That is what matters for a work truck.

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
I am currently looking to get an out the door price on a 4 cylinder tacoma (im not a toyota guy at all but seems to be trouble free from what i hear) The dealerships dont respond once i ask them for a no bs price that includes their insane mark ups. I am still leaning towards a base sport gladiator with a tow package because i know exactly what Gupton will cost and he takes care of business. Also they got the gobi now. My Cherokee is still doing weird random shit so i am leaning towards electrical or the ECM as to what might be the problem. She is old so i think its time to retire her and maybe just cruise it around town once in a while. I will report back here when i get my new work truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Not sure if anyone cares but i opted to go with a Gobi Gladiator Sport S for my daily driver light duty work truck. Its pretty loaded all i need is bigger tires. Ordered today from Gupton.

If the market wasnt the way it was and dealer mark ups being crazy i probably would of went for a different truck but since Gupton is the only one i know of to get a truck for thousands under sticker i pulled the trigger instead of beating the shit out of my mojave working out of it until the market changes (if it ever will i doubt it)

Model: JTJL98 GLADIATOR SPORT 4X4 36,085 Package: 24S Customer Preferred Package 24S 3,400 ERC 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I w/ESS 0

DFT 8-Spd Auto 850RE Trans (Make) 2,000

Paint/Seat/Trim: PUA Limited Edition Gobi Clear Coat 495 APA Monotone Paint 0

*A7 Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats 0

-X9 Black 0

Options: GMA Corning Gorilla(R) Glass 495 CSU MOPAR Hard Tri-fold Tonneau Cover 995

XMF Mopar Spray in Bedliner 525

ADE Cold Weather Group 1,145

ADA LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group 1,295

AEH Popular Equipment Package 1,395

DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle 595

AWS Smoker's Group 30 (just for the port not a smoker)

WFP 17X7.5 Gloss Black Aluminum Wheels 395

ABR Trailer Tow Package 0

HT1 Black 3-Piece Hard Top 0

DHP Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System 695

MHJ MOPAR Satin Black Grille 195

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport, 1995 YJ Cummins R2.8
Occupation
Retired slug. Drive RVs to Alaska
I get to drive all types of trucks, new and used. From my previous job and now current one.

Let’s be honest now. A gladiator isn’t really a truck. Just because it has a bed. Same as the Tacoma. Did anyone call an el Camino a truck? Pretty sure nobody did. It is what it is. A cargo capable Jeep. It sucks at a specific task but is great Jack of all trades.

Maybe used in a pool cleaning business, auto parts delivery , beach patrol/lifeguard, that level stuff. I don’t see one handling semi daily bringing material to the work site. Hauling a cattle trailer, even the max tow version.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I get to drive all types of trucks, new and used. From my previous job and now current one.

Let’s be honest now. A gladiator isn’t really a truck. Just because it has a bed. Same as the Tacoma. Did anyone call an el Camino a truck? Pretty sure nobody did. It is what it is. A cargo capable Jeep. It sucks at a specific task but is great Jack of all trades.

Maybe used in a pool cleaning business, auto parts delivery , beach patrol/lifeguard, that level stuff. I don’t see one handling semi daily bringing material to the work site. Hauling a cattle trailer, even the max tow version.
Those seem like arbitrary definitions.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff

There’s a whole range of jobs performed by work trucks that don’t necessitate hauling thousands of pounds of building materials on a daily basis. I.e. Some of the examples that you provided.

A Gladiator wouldn’t be my choice to haul a 5,000+ lb utility trailer around on a daily basis, but it could get the job done.

That being said, for more demanding work, I’d want a bigger truck. On the flip side, you could make the argument that any smaller/mid-size truck would be optimum in some situations, as they’d be easier to find parking in urban areas, more nimble to maneuver, etc.

I liked having a bigger truck (‘16 Ram 1500) for a lot of things, but it was an absolute pain in the ass to park and maneuver in some urban environments. Yeah, the bed on the Gadiator is borderline laughable…size wise…but I’ve got a utility trailer, so that’s really a non-issue for me.

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There’s a whole range of jobs performed by work trucks that don’t necessitate hauling thousands of pounds of building materials on a daily basis. I.e. Some of the examples that you provided.

A Gladiator wouldn’t be my choice to haul a 5,000+ lb utility trailer around on a daily basis, but it could get the job done.

That being said, for more demanding work, I’d want a bigger truck. On the flip side, you could make the argument that any smaller/mid-size truck would be optimum in some situations, as they’d be easier to find parking in urban areas, more nimble to maneuver, etc.

I liked having a bigger truck (‘16 Ram 1500) for a lot of things, but it was an absolute pain in the ass to park and maneuver in some urban environments. Yeah, the bed on the Gadiator is borderline laughable…size wise…but I’ve got a utility trailer, so that’s really a non-issue for me.
The Tacoma bed is a huge joke. And bumpers. I still like Tacos, However the taco is kind of the gladiators only comparison (funny how nobody even mentions the Frontier and Ranger)

I see these are cargo capable vehicles. I know, it sounds dumb but wait until you get that look from the guy at uhaul when you try to rent certain trailers. lol All that to transport a rolling chassis.

BTW not a fan of the Ram 1500 with the hemi, but of all 1/2 tons they pull trailers the best. I get to drive them all and to alaska no less.

Sponsored

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Those seem like arbitrary definitions.
Go try and rent a trailer to take a YJ rolling chassis to the driveline shop. be prepared to get feelings hurt when they say your tuck isnt a real truck lol

I mean, yeah,you can transport those petunias from home depot and back home ok. Maybe not a pallet of quickcrete or pavers

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Go try and rent a trailer to take a YJ rolling chassis to the driveline shop. be prepared to get feelings hurt when they say your tuck isnt a real truck lol

I mean, yeah,you can transport those petunias from home depot and back home ok. Maybe not a pallet of quickcrete or pavers
I don't follow your logic.

Trailer rental owners determine what is a real truck? Why do I have to prepare to have my feelings hurt? Why does it have to be a YJ rolling chassis?

Does hauling 1,000 lb of deck boards meet the standard of these trailer rental owners that determine what a truck is? Honest question

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Any other truck. Period.

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
I use my Gladiator Mojave as my work truck. I'm a supervisor so it's mainly driving around checking on crews and occasionally dropping off odds and ends. I carry a AED, pretty comprehensive collection of First Aid gear, a fire extinguisher and extra water. It's the best truck for getting in and out of work zones and right of ways. Added front strobes, working out rear ones... I love it..

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor

I have had to use my Mojave for the last few months of working. We do home remodeling. So far, it's been fine. I can fit everything I need in the bed. The backseats could be deleted to hold more stuff, but I don't need that area. The only thing I am missing is maybe a rack to hold larger ladders. Don't get me wrong I'm not hauling large amounts of materials. That is the boss's job. If I go into work for myself, I'll need to look into upgrading to a big truck. But for now, this truck is doing fine.MPG sucks though. Hopefully the sport does a little better.
Sponsored