Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

ElDirector

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have a full-size 2500 series diesel truck. Love it, and it has its purpose. It is well suited for trailering/hauling duties.

As others have posted, the Gladiator has its own perks. Doorless, topless, significantly better 4WD (mine is a Rubi), and still has enough of a truck bed for all the junk I don't want in the cab.

Besides, life is too short for boring cars. SURE, I could have gotten something more practical. Maybe a really nice minivan or cute-ute.
Sponsored

Wango's Tango

First Name
w
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AEV Gladiator
Occupation
self employed
Because of my job, i have a couple of superdutys, the gladiator will replace most of the 3/4 ton's duties as a daily in Oregaon, and my play toy, explore setup when i go solo. One 1 ton is a purpose built offroad camper rig, the other is my daily work truck.
I sold my CJ-7 in 1990, and have wanted one since. I just haven't liked the look of the modern jeeps until now, i feel the Gladiator is a great fit, perfect for cruising with my girl, playing in the mud,sand and dirt and exploring those areas i can't get my other set up into.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
I am still trying to figure this out. I am on my 5th Wrangler and I get the fun of top off and doors off and wheeling. I live in Colorado, one of the best off road places around! My last truck was a JLU Rubicon. I was very interested in the JT, particularly when I heard about the towing capacity. But as I do my price shopping I have hit the wall. Basing pricing assumptions on the JL gets us pretty close to guess what this truck will sell for. Optioned well it just isn't gonna be less than 50k, and probably several thousand more. A Sahara optioned well is north of $52,000.

And yet, the new redesigned half ton full size trucks with much more capability from the big three are all about the same price, or even cheaper, including the off road equipped with factory 2" suspension lift trucks like the 2019 Silverado which I just "build and priced" at around $56k MSRP. I am not thrilled about a full size truck as a daily driver, its hard to park, costly to insure, poor visibility etc. But after looking around I am fast losing interest in the JT. Maybe I will buy a used JL for the DD and the full size truck for towing. much as I hated the idea of buying two new vehicles. (I have an '01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L (yes, 8.1!) that gets around 7 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer).

Help me out boys and girls, I just don't get Jeep's justifying the pricing of these. They are mid-sized trucks priced like full size in my view.
Interestingly, you hit on why I donā€™t want a full size truck, weā€™re just in different sides of the line. I need to tow a travel trailer and haul motorcycles. I wouldnā€™t own a truck at all, otherwise. I hate driving and parking full size trucks, and the visibility sucks. I could get what I need for slightly less with a Ford Ranger, but they are so boring to look at, inside and out. I considered getting a used base full size for towing, and something nice and small for driving, but that doubles a lot of incidental and maintenance costs, and I tossed that out as ridiculous. Just my personal view.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Only reason I can think of getting a full size truck is for a full size family which Iā€™m hoping my wife wonā€™t want one since we have child #2 on the way. I want to make it work with out current 21JTR. SUCH A FUN TRUCK! No regrets

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Only reason I can think of getting a full size truck is for a full size family which Iā€™m hoping my wife wonā€™t want one since we have child #2 on the way. I want to make it work with out current 21JTR. SUCH A FUN TRUCK! No regrets
Towing.

I'm a single guy with no kids and I have a full size truck.

Sponsored

AwesomeDad

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon Diesel, VW Passat gas
Occupation
Yes
The JT will be my 5th jeep and 4th truck. We are in a position to down size from a land yacht SUV. I love trucks and I love diesels but what sealed it for me was when we were riding down the road and one of my kids saw a Gladiator and said "OMG that's so ugly" JT is ordered and I will make it a point to take them everywhere in it lol....

JJ

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
You can fit 3 car seats in a JT. We actually downsized from a navigator L. The kids and wife never wanted to take the comfy land yacht so it only got 2500 miles put on it a year while my JL got 13,000ā€¦

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I always wanted the following:

- Truck
- Convertible
- 4x4

In addition to above, I also wanted to be able to tow if I ever needed to.

Gladiator was the only one that checked off almost every box, or I would had to buy at least 2 if not 3 separate cars.

The only thing that I could think I could do more with was potential engine power but once I think that's an issue, I most likely will get a supercharger.

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
I am single, no kids, just a big dog. I have a '14 Ram 2500 diesel loaded and a '14 JKUR totally modded out, Leather and everything inside, 4 inch OME springs, all Alpine arms, Adams front driveshaft, Rocksport shocks, Adj track bars front and rear, heavy bumpers and winch, Method rims and 315-70-17 BFG KO2's, ARB diff covers, Dana 4.56's, ProComp LED's, Yukon freespin hubs& axels, Fusion Alu TR & DL. JKS CA brackets. I really like the JT but not sure it's worth the $40K hit and the JKUR to swap. The 8 speed and the 8.4 is really nice but,,,,,. The Ram is used for towing my trailer north in the summer but it rides terrible on dirt roads even with tires at 33psi. Just did the Mojave Road with it, never again. The JKUR will have to be my Overlanding vehicle unless I get a JT. Question is,,, how much better is the JT over my JKUR? I looked on the lot and a loaded Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.7 hemi and everything is about what a JT is. Better ride and MPG. Just lift with 35s and it will do most overlanding roads easily.

Sponsored

w650gb500

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Fabricator
Had an F250, Tundra and just sold my Ram 1500. All full size trucks for doing full-size truck things. We just paved the driveway to the house and added a bunch of stacked stone walls down by the house/garage. Itā€™s a bit more confined/tighter turning around now.We also sold a few properties, so I was looking for something smaller and more maneuverable than the Ram. I liked my full size trucks for hauling ā€œstuffā€ on a daily basis, but realistically will be hauling once every 2-3 weeks and I have several trailers I can use. I also hated trying to park them what seem to be tighter and tighter parking lots nowadays. I have several friends and my brother who think Iā€™m nuts for what they call ā€œdown-gradingā€ my vehicle but I donā€™t believe it is. Only time will tell, but with gas prices, Iā€™m happier getting 20mpg vs 14 in the Ram.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's amazing the number of full-sized trucks, some of them 3/4 ton, that get used only for commuting to work and the bed is still like new. They may see something in the back more than a load of groceries once every few months.
I could have used a "full size truck" a couple of weeks ago, but then like the guy who put the additional 14" floor joists in my garage loft said - his truck is a full-size truck and has a 5' 5" bed and would have required a bed extender to haul the 14' 2x8s I hauled with my trailer behind my truck.
I'm considering something like that to allow hauling of long pieces but then - I do that maybe once or twice a year so is 100 bucks for an extender even worth it? Use the car hauler that sits much of the time. Don't need a full-size truck.