Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
I am still trying to figure this out. I am on my 5th Wrangler and I get the fun of top off and doors off and wheeling. I live in Colorado, one of the best off road places around! My last truck was a JLU Rubicon. I was very interested in the JT, particularly when I heard about the towing capacity. But as I do my price shopping I have hit the wall. Basing pricing assumptions on the JL gets us pretty close to guess what this truck will sell for. Optioned well it just isn't gonna be less than 50k, and probably several thousand more. A Sahara optioned well is north of $52,000.

And yet, the new redesigned half ton full size trucks with much more capability from the big three are all about the same price, or even cheaper, including the off road equipped with factory 2" suspension lift trucks like the 2019 Silverado which I just "build and priced" at around $56k MSRP. I am not thrilled about a full size truck as a daily driver, its hard to park, costly to insure, poor visibility etc. But after looking around I am fast losing interest in the JT. Maybe I will buy a used JL for the DD and the full size truck for towing. much as I hated the idea of buying two new vehicles. (I have an '01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L (yes, 8.1!) that gets around 7 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer).

Help me out boys and girls, I just don't get Jeep's justifying the pricing of these. They are mid-sized trucks priced like full size in my view.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
I am still trying to figure this out. I am on my 5th Wrangler and I get the fun of top off and doors off and wheeling. I live in Colorado, one of the best off road places around! My last truck was a JLU Rubicon. I was very interested in the JT, particularly when I heard about the towing capacity. But as I do my price shopping I have hit the wall. Basing pricing assumptions on the JL gets us pretty close to guess what this truck will sell for. Optioned well it just isn't gonna be less than 50k, at least not by much, if at all.

And yet, the new redesigned half ton full size trucks with much more capability from the big three are all about the same price, or even cheaper, including the off road equipped with factory 2" suspension lift trucks like the 2019 Silverado which I just "build and priced" at around $56k MSRP. I am not thrilled about a full size truck as a daily driver, its hard to park, costly to insure, poor visibility etc. But after looking around I am fast losing interest in the JT. Maybe I will buy a used JL for the DD and the full size truck for towing. much as I hated the idea of buying two new vehicles. (I have an '01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L (yes, 8.1!) that gets around 7 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer).

Help me out boys and girls, I just don't get Jeep's justifying the pricing of these. They are mid-sized trucks priced like full size in my view.
Because jeep.
There is no particular reason why that I can think of that is other than if you want a jeep with removable doors and top. It is very offroadable, it has that going for it, but so is the rebel, powerwagon, zr2, trd pro, trd off-road, and raptor. If the JT can beat these (except maybe the raptor because its baja focused) that would set it apart other than that it is a Jeep.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I am still trying to figure this out. I am on my 5th Wrangler and I get the fun of top off and doors off and wheeling. I live in Colorado, one of the best off road places around! My last truck was a JLU Rubicon. I was very interested in the JT, particularly when I heard about the towing capacity. But as I do my price shopping I have hit the wall. Basing pricing assumptions on the JL gets us pretty close to guess what this truck will sell for. Optioned well it just isn't gonna be less than 50k, and probably several thousand more. A Sahara optioned well is north of $52,000.

If you have to ask that question, you should probably get a full size truck. I had one, loved it for a while, then grew to hate parking it and driving in some tighter conditions. Also hated driving it offroad, a 7k lb vehicle is crap on anything other than pavement or gravel.

It was nice on road trip though - Texas limo...

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Buying a new car or a car costing more than 25k is not a wise financial decision for 99% of us. Worse yet, is doing that every few years. Plus most families have 2 cars now, which makes the math even worse. https://smartasset.com/auto/how-much-should-i-spend-on-a-car

Point being, buying the JT or JL have never been a practical investment. If you want a cool vehicle, you buy a jeep. If you want a practical vehicle, you buy used (and definitely not a used jeep).

True jeep owners never follow the math or practicality, which is why "it's a jeep thing". And also why you have already owned 5!! lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
you can get a ranger with a locker that will tow more than a JT for around $34,000
Last I checked the ranger tows 7500lbs max meanwhile the gladiator tows 7650lbs max. Therefore the JT actually tows more. Also Ford rangers are gross.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

You make some interesting points as an owner of 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie for the last (almost) 4 years I honestly don't share the the disdain for the full-size trucks. Yes, larger to be sure but mine is the V6 pentastar - purposely ordered in this configuration - my gas mileage is consistently 19-20 MPG combined highway/city driving. The driving and parking etc.is not all that bad as I have altered my habits - e.g. I now park well away from the pack and found access is easier plus the extra walking health-wise is not a bad thing. One subtle stat I have noticed about the Gladiator is that this is a long vehicle at 218 inches - that's just 11 inches shorter than my Ram quad cab at 229 inches. So driving will be about the same. Plus you are limited to one basic configuration with the Gladiator.

OP
OP

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
You make some interesting points as an owner of 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie for the last (almost) 4 years I honestly don't share the the disdain for the full-size trucks. Yes, larger to be sure but mine is the V6 pentastar - purposely ordered in this configuration - my gas mileage is consistently 19-20 MPG combined highway/city driving. The driving and parking etc.is not all that bad as I have altered my habits - e.g. I now park well away from the pack and found access is easier plus the extra walking health-wise is not a bad thing. One subtle stat I have noticed about the Gladiator is that this is a long vehicle at 218 inches - that's just 11 inches shorter than my Ram quad cab at 229 inches. So driving will be about the same. Plus you are limited to one basic configuration with the Gladiator.
Hadn't thought about the length. SO it won't be that much easier to park after all seems like. Your mileage is outstanding, any experience towing?

OP
OP

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Buying a new car or a car costing more than 25k is not a wise financial decision for 99% of us. Worse yet, is doing that every few years. Plus most families have 2 cars now, which makes the math even worse. https://smartasset.com/auto/how-much-should-i-spend-on-a-car

Point being, buying the JT or JL have never been a practical investment. If you want a cool vehicle, you buy a jeep. If you want a practical vehicle, you buy used (and definitely not a used jeep).

True jeep owners never follow the math or practicality, which is why "it's a jeep thing". And also why you have already owned 5!! lol
Thanks for the calculator - helpful!

Sponsored

OP
OP

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Guess my conclusion is that the mid-size Gladiator is going to be WAY over priced compared to its competition - and agree the "Jeep Thing" is why...

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The only trucks I would consider are the JT, Raptor, ZR2, and Power Wagon. It needs to be a 4 door and able to handle both overland dirt roads and the itch to rock crawl at my local parks. The Raptor and Power Wagon would be annoying in town, a hassle on the mountain pass shelf roads (with passing) and a real pain on switch backs. They'd also scrape more trees on my local trails.
So a full size is out in my mind. So that leaves the JTR and the ZR2. The convertible top, and ability to fit 37"s relatively easy makes the JT the clear winner. Now I know my current Jeeps are more maneuverable, but they lack the space the trucks have. So for me the JT is the best compromise.
Plus it looks sweet!

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hadn't thought about the length. SO it won't be that much easier to park after all seems like. Your mileage is outstanding, any experience towing?
I ordered my Laramie from the factory to get exactly what I wanted (Ram boxes, air suspension, and the pentastar motor) on my truck after much test driving all models. In addition to the mileage my truck has better payload numbers (by Ram's own payload calculator) then a similarly equipped truck with a Hemi; 0-60 time is just over 7 sec.; I had the dealer install dual exhaust before I bought the truck - sounds great with the Flowmaster exhaust. Now for towing my truck is rated at 7,000 lbs, and is all I need as payload was more of concern for me. I have read other pentastar owners report in the Ram forums that the towing with the pentastar is very good within the specified weight limits - many report excellent results with their light-duty rated camping trailers. I think the Gladiator specifications for towing and payload (although the bed is very small to realize the full benefits of the payload figure) are going to be great and will likely lead the mid-size class. The pentastar although somewhat dated now is still a great motor (on the Ward's 10 best list for two years running when it was first introduced). The pentastar with the 8 speed transmission is a great combination - it will servethe needs of the Gladiator very well.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess my conclusion is that the mid-size Gladiator is going to be WAY over priced compared to its competition - and agree the "Jeep Thing" is why...
I think the best attribute of the Gladiator will be the availability of having the top down - this is a very unique attribute. If ever offered in an extended cab this will be my next truck.