Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
Last I checked the ranger tows 7500lbs max meanwhile the gladiator tows 7650lbs max. Therefore the JT actually tows more. Also Ford rangers are gross.
Not really and apples to apples comparison, but you're technically correct. There is 1 trim level of the JT that will tow 7,650. IMHO to option out a Sport to tow 7650 will cost somewhere north of $50,000. If you want to compare base level trims (i.e. Ranger WT 7,500 max tow vs. Sport 4,500 max tow with auto or 6,000 with auto and 4.10s) the ranger wins out. I not a huge fan of the Ranger's styling, but my practical side which is what the OP initially eluded to tells me there's much better options out there. I love the JT, but the more I look at the specs vs what I predict the price will be the JT is a whole lot of show and not much real world go.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Agree: if you have to ask why then you likely will be happy with a full-size pickup truck.

I've got a 2017 Ford Raptor and it's an awesome truck. It's my 2nd Raptor and I've run them all over the desert and on trails that are, unfortunately, too narrow (they're "Jeep trails" :) ) so I've desert pin-striped them.

I had a 2014 JKUR that I got rid of for the Raptor. The issue with a full-size truck is just that - it's "too big" for Jeep trails and at some (many) points it'll be too big for where you want to go and what you want to do assuming you off road. today's pickups are very capable off roaders limited mostly by (1) their size and (2) how much damage you're willing to do banging it around and over rocks.

The Gladiator will be great but it will be "too big" too - mostly too long and only in some instances. It'll still be able to go where 90% of off roaders want to go. It'll tow well and do most Jeep stuff.

I think the Gladiator will be at least $55,000 (I haven't seen estimated pricing myself) and it'll head well north of that especially with aftermarket stuff that I/most will want to add.

So, my ideal truck just may be the Ford Ranger Raptor. I assume Ford will, finally, offer it for sale here in the US. I'm waiting to see. It'll likely cost the same as the Gladiator, ride much much better on road (be far more comfortable and quieter), run much better at higher speeds off road and still be very capable on the rocks (though not Jeep-capable).

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I went to the san deigo aut o show to see the Gladiator in person. First my observations . It doen't lookas big as a 1/2 ton by any stretch. Yet feel beefier than say a ZR2. The 285s look big on it bu then you relaize you could fit 35 without blinking an eye and that would look really good. The whole thing comes off why hasn't some doen this years before i tlooks that good. lots of fun little details. now about 70 feet away was a loaded out ram rebel 1500 with a rear locker. The price was 67,000 wtf! I understand thatthe gladiator is built off the same truck frame hence the higher tow ratings and bed loads.. and given That serg said it is a lifestyle vehicle and would be expensive . and please God let me wrong about this. I am thinking a reasonably well equiped rubicon Gladiator is going to hit the showrooms at 70K please pleas let me be wrong.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
The unspoken part is that most full size truck are pretty easy to get 10k off MSRP. The JT is going to be a lot more difficult to get that high of a percent off, even when and if sales cool a bit.

Sponsored

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
1) It's a Jeep thing.
2) Doors are removable.
3) Top is removable.

beerbrewer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram; 2014 T&C
I went to the san deigo aut o show to see the Gladiator in person. First my observations . It doen't lookas big as a 1/2 ton by any stretch. Yet feel beefier than say a ZR2. The 285s look big on it bu then you relaize you could fit 35 without blinking an eye and that would look really good. The whole thing comes off why hasn't some doen this years before i tlooks that good. lots of fun little details. now about 70 feet away was a loaded out ram rebel 1500 with a rear locker. The price was 67,000 wtf! I understand thatthe gladiator is built off the same truck frame hence the higher tow ratings and bed loads.. and given That serg said it is a lifestyle vehicle and would be expensive . and please God let me wrong about this. I am thinking a reasonably well equiped rubicon Gladiator is going to hit the showrooms at 70K please pleas let me be wrong.
The Gladiator has it's own unique frame--it is not built on the Ram DT frame; but it's rear suspension is partly borrowed from the Ram; the 2021 Wagoneer will be built on the Ram DT frame.

Oso

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
vw suv
I am still trying to figure this out. I am on my 5th Wrangler and I get the fun of top off and doors off and wheeling. I live in Colorado, one of the best off road places around! My last truck was a JLU Rubicon. I was very interested in the JT, particularly when I heard about the towing capacity. But as I do my price shopping I have hit the wall. Basing pricing assumptions on the JL gets us pretty close to guess what this truck will sell for. Optioned well it just isn't gonna be less than 50k, and probably several thousand more. A Sahara optioned well is north of $52,000.

And yet, the new redesigned half ton full size trucks with much more capability from the big three are all about the same price, or even cheaper, including the off road equipped with factory 2" suspension lift trucks like the 2019 Silverado which I just "build and priced" at around $56k MSRP. I am not thrilled about a full size truck as a daily driver, its hard to park, costly to insure, poor visibility etc. But after looking around I am fast losing interest in the JT. Maybe I will buy a used JL for the DD and the full size truck for towing. much as I hated the idea of buying two new vehicles. (I have an '01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L (yes, 8.1!) that gets around 7 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer).

Help me out boys and girls, I just don't get Jeep's justifying the pricing of these. They are mid-sized trucks priced like full size in my view.
I bought my first red jeep new...a C5...the shortie...in a soft top of course. Then came the cj 7...longer...more stable. Then I bought a great one...a 1988 I think....olive and beige Sahara YJ....cool jeep...beige (sand) hard top, extra soft top, matching wheel cover with Sahara written on it, cool stitched olive denim seats with knapsacks on the front seats. GREAT truck. Next came a red Islander model...maybe three years later. Then a white sport with the little 4 cyl engine. This jeep loved it on the frozen lake near our farm. I recall one march day being on the lake...very little snow...just a white crust. We drove out to a big huge pressure crack, and fished in theopen water at the crack joint about 1.5 miles from shore off of Oro Township. It was 70 degrees...tunes playing on the jeep radio...and dazzling sun on the white ice. Next up...Jeep TJ's came along. Classic red...my youngest son coveted that vehicle. Finally, the four door jeep in 2012...a lost leader new truck from Canada's #2 Chrysler dealer. The engine had a tick...and the local dealer could not have cared less. I got a lost leader (4 hour maximum hold) buy, so I sold it and got out and switched brands to a european luxury unit. Now...I will trade in the Euro-sled and get a Jeep Truck....the 1 1/2 cab model hopefully in the sand dune color. Of course by now the pentastar engine should work. I guess I should have kept the 2012 four door, but I got torqued out of shape about the shoddy local service!! This new truck covers all the basis, sorta like the new big three half tons. The four door versions have become mall assault vehicles, and arena attack machines. So nowadays the ladies love em, the kids love em, Dad loves em, fishermen, hunters, campers, and people who just love jeeps and always have. I would rather have the jeep than the little Nissan truck thing with the apple electronics, or the Tacoma which looks nerdy and is, or the cheap-seat Canon or Colorado...which just looks weak and flakey. But if they still made Chev trucks with the traditional stepside boxes...I would take one of those over the jeep perhaps. But GM is too stupid to honor tradition or history, whereas Jeep is going back to the early sixties when a fellow I knew had a jeep truck new. In the 80's an employee of mine still drove a jeep half ton...orange. So the thing about the new jeep truck...is the cool factor, and the market application realities. Toss in that pentastar engine....and it should be a winner instead of a weiner. Happy J-Trucking to all! Hope they don't botch the delivery date or get nuts about the pricing. They should just bang them out...250,000 in the first year...and own the market. Hopefully the Italiano running Chrysler isn't stupid.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
They should just bang them out...250,000 in the first year...and own the market
We've known for a year that isn't the plan. Sergio said 'less than 100,000' and 'expensive, intentionally so'...

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Been reading a lot of comments pertaining to what Sergio said and since he passed away he's not calling the shots anymore. As such, I pay closer attention to Mark Allen's comments.

Drogers didn’t mean to link to you. Sorry my comment was sharper than I meant.

Last edited:

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
We've known for a year that isn't the plan. Sergio said 'less than 100,000' and 'expensive, intentionally so'...
Jeep has already swayed from what Sergio said, He also said there would only be 2 trims for the Gladiator as well. Jeep knows that they hav e something special which is why it'c going to come in 4 different trim levels, Having that many already tells you they are going to build more than 100k of them. The intentionally expensive went away when they decided to build a Sport model. They are going to close to what the JL will be priced. However we should no in the next 30 day's what pricing is goin to be if what my dealer said is true.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Jeep has already swayed from what Sergio said, He also said there would only be 2 trims for the Gladiator as well. Jeep knows that they hav e something special which is why it'c going to come in 4 different trim levels, Having that many already tells you they are going to build more than 100k of them. The intentionally expensive went away when they decided to build a Sport model. They are going to close to what the JL will be priced. However we should no in the next 30 day's what pricing is goin to be if what my dealer said is true.
I agree this is a special truck, but the entire category only moves 500k units /yr- not sure it's realistic to assume Jeep will be scooping up over 20% of that right off the bat.

I'm also not convinced they *can* build more than 100k of them right now. They moved the JKs off that line because they were pretty maxed out at around that number, didn't they?

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
That's insane - the only 'option' you'll need is the max tow package, which isn't going to cost 10-15k...
Oh really the only option you need is max tow? Suggest you take a look at the one trim pack that can tow 7,650.
Sponsored