Any Full-Size Converts?

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
I had a fully loaded 2020 Ram Febel. Nice truck. Basically a luxury car. But overkill for what I needed. I didn’t tow with it at all and did not need the room or the capacity.

Replaced it with a pretty fully loaded Mojave and I am very very happy.

None of my vehicles are very practical, but they sure are fun.
They are practical enough.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I replaced a 2008 Power Wagon that was built for trail running. Did most of the trails in Moab and Rausch Creek with it. Mother nature wanted it more than me. Found a big rust hole under the cab on the driver side, under the seat area. Body shop wanted $4k to start with. Said it may go high as $7K once they started. Depending on what they run into. With the market the way it is. I got $12K for it on trade in. So I got what I think is a baby Power Wagon. The JTRD has everything but a winch on it. Plus better fuel mileage. 24 mpg vs 10 mpg around town. I miss Red, because it was a beast on the trails. I've already have done 2 black rated trails with the JTRD.

Hell's Gate.jpg

Rausch Creek 4.JPG

Pigman67

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Asset/fleet MGR
Came from a 15 F150 Platinum.

Only two things I miss.

Messaging seats and towing ability.

I don't pull a trailer that often.

Griff21

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR LE, 1978 CJ5, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Went from a 2017 Ram 1500 to the Gladiator Rubicon LE, I went cheap on the Ram 1500 and it didn't have any upgrades besides power windows and a back up camera. I found I rarely loaded the bed and for using it to get to dispersed campsites it was a little to big for some of the offshoots in the El Dorado forest. I always wanted a newer Jeep as I've been driving my grandpa's CJ5 since I was old enough to reach the pedals but I needed a truck bed for the occasional home improvement store runs, etc. This Gladiator checks almost all the boxes, it's been my favorite vehicle.... but I would be lying if I didn't say I missed the 5.7 Hemi in my Ram lol.

Chris Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator soon
I know this an older reply but I was looking through and I found it funny I'm in almost the same situation. I was wondering how a year later if your opinion changed.

I have purchased 28 Jeeps in my lifetime. Only 6-7 of those were for family, the rest were mine. My third to last vehicle was a 2020 Gladiator that I installed a Hamburger supercharger. The supercharger was great but did nothing to help me pulling my 5500 pound pontoon boat. About 8 months after I installed the supercharger, my electrical went crazy. Two weeks with a dealer, three weeks with Richard Petty Racing and three weeks with Hamburger supercharger and we couldn't find the problem. I honestly don't think the supercharger had anything to do with the electrical issues I was having but as long as you didn't plug anything into the trailer hitch, you were good to go.

I traded the Gladiator in for a 2019 Raptor. I LOVED that truck, with a tune and creature comforts, it was hard to beat but at the end of the day, you can't take the doors off a Raptor.

I traded the Raptor back in a year later for another Gladiator, this time diesel. I LOVE this Jeep and with a tune, it's putting out 350HP and 513 ftlbs of torque at the wheels. It pulls my pontoon boat around as good as my Raptor.

I was getting 25'ish mpg when I started but with 38's and a 3.5" lift driving 85'ish (I have a 50 mile one way trip to work), the gas mileage has dropped to 17-20 depending on how I drive it.

Nonetheless, out of all the Jeeps I've owned, I've never had anything that gets over 12 mpg so it's still a win-win.

Just wondering if after a year, you decided to go back into a Raptor?

Mark

So a bit late to this as I haven't been on here in awhile.

I did go back to a Raptor. Was lucky to score a 2021 Gen 3 Raptor and not pay some insane ADM. I traded the Gladiator in on the Gen 3 back in October. I was not destined for the Jeep life.

As much as I liked top off/doors off, I just didn't do it regularly enough, with a 3 yo and a busy schedule its just much easier getting in and going. The garage space was dedicated to the fun car, so having the truck sit outside everywhere it was a constant on/off/on. The raptor is more my speed. Jeeps are cool, but just not for me.

-Chris

Sponsored

John Lenheiser

First Name
Trainman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 dr. Willys
Occupation
Retired
I'm trying to talk myself into a new Gladiator, but my 2019 RAM Lone Star 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, 5.7 Hemi with 23,000 miles on it is a perfect vehicle for me. Why would I want to give up the ride and drive of this vehicle, 23.5 MPG on the highway, never used the 4 wheel drive option off road, only to see if it still works. I test drove two Gladiators yesterday at the dealership a Willys and a High Altitude, I like the High Altitude much better because of the tires and the better ride, but it was still no match for the RAM. I feel like getting a Gladiator would be good for me for about a week then I would start wondering what the hell have I done. So would cruising the Dairy Queen on Friday night change my like style in a Gladiator, probably not after the first night.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I'm trying to talk myself into a new Gladiator, but my 2019 RAM Lone Star 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, 5.7 Hemi with 23,000 miles on it is a perfect vehicle for me. Why would I want to give up the ride and drive of this vehicle, 23.5 MPG on the highway, never used the 4 wheel drive option off road, only to see if it still works. I test drove two Gladiators yesterday at the dealership a Willys and a High Altitude, I like the High Altitude much better because of the tires and the better ride, but it was still no match for the RAM. I feel like getting a Gladiator would be good for me for about a week then I would start wondering what the hell have I done. So would cruising the Dairy Queen on Friday night change my like style in a Gladiator, probably not after the first night.
If you really like your Ram that much. Stick with it. The only up side for you would be getting ducked and the Jeep Wave.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Keep the Ram and add a Gladiator. 😁

Ram for DD, Gladiator for fun trips to DQ.

DavidBT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Happily Retired
I went from a 3500 6.7 Ram crew cab with 6.5 bed. We lived in a 36' 5th wheel for 3 years or so, so the big truck was needed. Although a very comfortable truck to ride in, the height of the bed was a burden for me. I have a bad leg and had to install a ladder on the tailgate to get in and out. Even then it was very precarious for me. After buying a house in South East Arizona, we no longer needed the big 5th wheel and traded it for a 26' travel trailer. I was ready for a smaller truck and traded the Ram for my 22 Gladiator max tow, sting grey. We did a trip to Komiefornia over the July weekend and the Gladiator did great. Averaged 11 mpg's on the 2,000 mile round trip.

20220420_100522_resized.jpg

14619.jpeg

20220505_143639.jpg

John Lenheiser

First Name
Trainman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 dr. Willys
Occupation
Retired
I'm trying to go to a Gladiator and trade off my 2019 RAM 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, so far I can't pull the trigger, the RAM is just too nice in every way.

Sponsored

Gryphon

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S Max Tow
Had a 2017 Ram 1500 Big horn and a very loaded 2019 1500 bighorn, when the lease ended i went to my 2022 Gladiator Sport S as i have a 24' camper that may need to be towed and with the max tow it's not an issue, on top of that i found that the Ram, while capable, was just not the veh. for Northern Michigan back woods trails, too heavy, to big and just not the 4 wheel drive system for some of the terrain.
We knew that though due to taking the wife's 2021 JLU Wrangler exploring. I do miss the interior room and the bed size but not where i can't function without it. Much prefer the Gladiator for what the current lifestyle entails.

dutch7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator High Altitude
Been a Jeep guy/family for years, bumped up to a Ram and traded up twice and really liked the Ram 1500. Gave me plenty of room, power etc but the most I really ever haul is my bird dogs and hunting gear anymore. Passengers are really only my wife on occasion so we elected to downsize to a Gladiator and we are loving it. Have wanted a wrangler for years but not practical for my needs and then the much anticipated Glad arrived, in not so nice colors.. so we waited and brought a '21 High Altitude in Granite Metallic. Has enough comforts to satisfy and room for my dogs and gear, my wife loves the open air rides again! Still tweaking for storage - headed north for a week of bird hunting, so a rear seat delete gives us plenty of dry storage and the cooler and kennels ride in the back. Would like a bed cap but the wait times are stupid lately and prices to match so we will make do until the right option comes along.

PJZ

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD AEV370
Build Thread
Link
I'm trying to go to a Gladiator and trade off my 2019 RAM 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, so far I can't pull the trigger, the RAM is just too nice in every way.
I have both right now, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x. I LOVE driving the JT and love driving the Ram.

Similar problem, keep thinking I might sell the Ram then I drive it and dont. Family loves it. Roomy, wifi, hauls lots of stuff and pulls our TT no problem at all. May take it to Carmax to see what trade-ins look like right now. Main issue is too much stuff added and I am too lazy to put it back to stock.

IMG_4369.JPG

D44hd

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon
I bought a new Power Wagon i n 2020. I cant tell you how much I loved that truck, comfortable, dead quiet,and towed my 24 foot travel trailer like it was not there. I never would have sold it but when the gas prices went thru the roof, it was costing me $200 a week for fuel. That 6.4 is thirsty. I drove it for 2 years and the dealership gave me full retail on a trade in. Got a full load Rubicon for "0" dollars, we just swapped keys. I cant tow the trailer as well, but I have taken the Gladiator tight places in the bush that I never would have gotten a large truck down. Went from 12 MPG to 17.5 MPG. I still love the Power Wagon, but I like the jeep better.

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
I LOVE my Silverado - but not the huge size when parking it. It's a great reliable truck and totally trouble-free. In fact never had a single thing done to it other than I replaced the battery a couple years back and service it when needed - routine stuff. Nothing has ever broken or not worked (ok, mice got into my car hauler wiring and chewed off the insulation so I blew a couple of fuses on the truck for the lights, but.. blame the Iowa mice, not Chevrolet. Thank goodness for separate fuses for trailer lights!
Anyway, I saw the Gladiator and was totally hooked. Eh, my Chevy is a 2011. I kept my Ford F250 from 95 to 2011 when I traded it for this Silverado and figured this truck would be my last. And it would have been except for seeing that stupid Jeep in the dealership when my wife was having her Grand Cherokee worked on (defective glass in driver door -they never saw anything like it ever)
My other car hauler was all steel with wood deck, and weighed 2350 pounds empty. But I figured the Jeep could haul it with a 3,100 pound car on it. When my wife insisted on an upgrade to get the body color top and some other stuff - I balked because of the lower tow ratings and she did what all good wives do - she said "so go buy a lighter trailer". So I did.
I don't think I'll regret it - my last two trucks have been this Silverado 1500 4x4 and prior to that the 95 F250 4x4 Before that it was a 87 Comanche.
(I like the Jeep reliability)
So often when I drive the current truck it's wasted effort - the bed is either empty or partially empty. Only exceptions are when I go to car events and fill the back - and the back seat! with parts...... Fenders, hoods, transmissions, glass, 4 crates of starters and alternators - then I have a load - and haul my car back, too, after the show and swap meet - but I think this will do it. I figure a couple fenders could fit in the back seat, I could get an engine and other stuff in the box. And if all else fails - strap stuff to the car hauler along with the car.
When I traded the Ford for the Chevy I found I was not able to park the Chevy in the same spot in the garage that the Ford fit into so maybe I'll be able to get this truck inside somewhere, somehow..... maybe.
I sold my 70 Javelin so that frees up a little bit of space.
This Overland JT had bloody well better be as reliable as that Silverado or my wife will have a fit........
And??
Sponsored