Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape, 2008 VW GTI
A lot more owners have no problems and have nothing to report. Owners with problems are more likely to pipe up. My impression is that the vast majority of JT/JL owners are pretty happy. But I hear you. Also - my other point is that it is a swiss army knife. It does some things really well, and a lot of things pretty well. The main advantage is that you have all the tools and its there with you. A specialized tool (like an F350 dually diesel) can be better, but you lose the flexibility.
Maybe this is where we point out that Consumer Reports gave the Gladiator the highest marks on reliability over literally any other vehicle.
Sponsored

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Not going to lie, with Jeep resale values being what they are right now, I've toyed with the idea of a RAM Rebel with the diesel. It would make an incredibly capable overland platform, and a much more efficient and comfortable daily driver. Not that the JT isn't capable, and it's an absolute blast to drive and own, but when companies are offering me $5k more for it with 14,000 miles, than I paid for it new, and RAM is running a 0% interest offer...it makes for a tempting deal.
Friend of mine has a 2020 Rebel gas... awesome truck inside and out. I drove it twice and had to stop doing that.

Tokolosh

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q7, 2014 Ford Fusion, 2015 Chrysler T&C
Occupation
Director in Automotive Industry
I have been researching my next purchase for months. I’ve known I wanted a truck and focused mostly on the full sizes. Regardless of brand I was always drawn to the off-road trims. The Rebel, the Trail Boss, Tremor/FX4, TRD, etc. But each one left a lot to be desired for off road capabilities and how I want to use my truck. In the end I realized I want a Jeep for off-roading but need a truck bed for a family of 5 Plus our dog.

So the Gladiator became the choice. Sacrificing a bit in the cabin but I want to be able to build the truck to my use. As good as those other trucks are, none are lego sets like the Jeep. There is almost nothing I can imagine for a Gladiator that can’t be added or built. That makes the Gladiator so much more interesting. The aftermarket support is so robust and creative that our Jeeps can take on our personality.

That is why I “settled” on the Jeep Gladiator as my truck of choice.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
The key is to have a full size truck based SUV AND a Gladiator :D

I have my Navigator for the family/hauling people around/towing, and I have the Gladiator for fun and trips to Home Depot. I drove Jeeps for years back when XJs were still being sold new, hence my user name, but eventually moved on to practical cars/SUVs. After having kids I couldn't justify the Wrangler because it'd have to replace my full size SUV and it just wasn't practical enough.

I've waited for years for the Gladiator to come out, and another couple years to find the right one. I looked briefly at a Raptor, the Rebel, and the Trail Boss... The Raptor is a cool truck but it's just not a Jeep. The rest barely got a second glance. I decided on the Mojave trim because it fits our needs better than the Rubicon.

Then the perfect storm happened. Used car prices skyrocketing meant my Lexus was worth quite a bit more than I paid for it a couple years ago, and a dealership marked down the exact Mojave I wanted. 2 hours later I dropped the GS350 off and drove home in the Jeep.

In the end the full size trucks are too big for the trails I want to drive on, and the doors/tops don't come off. Plus the off-road versions of the full size trucks are compromised on the truck part just like the Gladiator Rubi/Mojave so I'd rather have the Jeep version.

Sponsored

Goheels0917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary Edition
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I test drove a RAM for a few days. Absolutely hated how it drove, how bulky it feels and not to mention it sucks the gas.

Other than the obvious Jeep reasons, the above is my prerogative.

One other note, no one hardly ever says "Hey Nice RAM!"....But i get compliments everywhere I go in my JT. It's a public perception on the price-point also for dealers.

RAM's are papaw-y, LOL. I am sure they are great trucks, but just not my can o' beer.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I havent read the whole chain but ill drop in my .$02. For what the JT is its incredibly priced IMHO. The Wranglers are basically the same price on all trims and you get a lot more from the JT. If you do plan to wheel it at all the fullsize will be worse in everyway. Unless you go Raptor, which is far more, then approach angle is going to be awful compared to the JT. If you want a truck to do truck things then go elsewhere. If you want a truck for off-road use/playtime then get the Jeep. I dont think anyone here would say the JT is the best truck for the money, but it sure as hell is the most fun.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I dont need a full size truck! Harder to park and live with. I wanted a mid-size truck, simple really.
That's exactly what I recently told a couple of people who asked about my truck -
I don't NEED a full size truck, it's harder to take into crowded places and it takes more room in my garage than I can spare. Why?
So in summary - "because I don't WANT or NEED a huge truck. This truck got me all the landscaping stuff I needed a few weeks ago - why take 30% more gas and struggle to back a long fat rig into tight spots at Menards? This thing did it all, economically and fun-wise. (and my wife doesn't have to squeeze to walk by it in the garage and I can now park our JD lawn tractor in the garage, too)
I could have a 4,000 square foot house, too - why?

Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
That's exactly what I recently told a couple of people who asked about my truck -
I don't NEED a full size truck, it's harder to take into crowded places and it takes more room in my garage than I can spare. Why?
So in summary - "because I don't WANT or NEED a huge truck. This truck got me all the landscaping stuff I needed a few weeks ago - why take 30% more gas and struggle to back a long fat rig into tight spots at Menards? This thing did it all, economically and fun-wise. (and my wife doesn't have to squeeze to walk by it in the garage and I can now park our JD lawn tractor in the garage, too)
I could have a 4,000 square foot house, too - why?
Exactly. Trucks keep getting bigger and bigger, at some point if they keep going, they're going to have to make parking spots and garages bigger.

Somewhere around my current truck (Colorado) and future truck (Gladiator) is the sweet spot for me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. Trucks keep getting bigger and bigger, at some point if they keep going, they're going to have to make parking spots and garages bigger.

Somewhere around my current truck (Colorado) and future truck (Gladiator) is the sweet spot for me.
That's what I noticed looking at new Ram and Chevy and Ford trucks (dealerships all next to each other, walking distance) just to see what's there, etc. - they were huge! Bigger than my Silverado was. Even a basic F250 or full-size Ram I could not reach over the tail gate at all. The Ram I had to stand on my toes to see inside the box or walk from side to side. And the fronts they keep making taller - more like old semi tractors. For years they were slimming things down, making them sleeker, now it's like the blade of a bulldozer coming at you. I guess truck people want fat trucks, tall flat fronts and boxes so high - no wonder these new tailgates have ladders built-in!. Even my F250 I used to be able to hop in and out of the box. Now they are so big.............. I bet a new truck would dwarf any of my past full-size trucks.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Folks act like the price and the size of the vehicle always directly correlate, so if you pay more, you get a bigger vehicle. Last I checked, a Corvette costs more than a Malibu. Just like the Corvette driver doesn't want a Malibu, I have no desire for a Full Size Truck. I want a convertible truck with a manual transmission that fits in my garage, and can be used at the off road parks
No other truck is convertible, no full sized truck is manual anymore, and no other truck is narrow enough for my garage, or to go down all the trails at AOAA.

db305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Max Tow
That's what I noticed looking at new Ram and Chevy and Ford trucks (dealerships all next to each other, walking distance) just to see what's there, etc. - they were huge! Bigger than my Silverado was. Even a basic F250 or full-size Ram I could not reach over the tail gate at all. The Ram I had to stand on my toes to see inside the box or walk from side to side. And the fronts they keep making taller - more like old semi tractors. For years they were slimming things down, making them sleeker, now it's like the blade of a bulldozer coming at you. I guess truck people want fat trucks, tall flat fronts and boxes so high - no wonder these new tailgates have ladders built-in!. Even my F250 I used to be able to hop in and out of the box. Now they are so big.............. I bet a new truck would dwarf any of my past full-size trucks.
this exactly. my 2015 canyon (that i traded in for my gladiator) was barely smaller than our old 2001 ram 1500. it's ridiculous how big full size pickups have become over the years.
Sponsored