Sponsored

Gladiator Tailgate Modification

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
What are the dimensions of the compartments?
Outer compartments are the same, approximately 12.5" wide x 8.75" tall " 3.5" deep. I'm gonna say approximately because I'm measuring from the top and the seal is there and it's the weekend so Im halfassing my measurements.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tailgate Modification IMG_20220904_103159320_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tailgate Modification IMG_20220904_103204591_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tailgate Modification IMG_20220904_103218244_HDR

Inner compartment is longer and narrower, more like 15.75" x 5" useable space, same depth for the most part except there's a hump in the middle where a feature was designed into the base of the bin to account for 12v harness routing, you lose about an inch at this location.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tailgate Modification IMG_20220904_103229253_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tailgate Modification IMG_20220904_103234731_HDR

CDNGladiator

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
Health Care
That's bad ass! yes expensive but really nice. I agree about the locking function should have been included.

Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Excellent write-up and way less daunting with your step by step photos. Do you find the tailgate dampers still keep up with the job of handling the extra weight when lowering? Did the "dynomat" provide enough rigidity for your liking? Thanks!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Good write up on it, I like it.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Excellent write-up and way less daunting with your step by step photos. Do you find the tailgate dampers still keep up with the job of handling the extra weight when lowering? Did the "dynomat" provide enough rigidity for your liking? Thanks!
I never really noticed the tailgate damper before this install - Definitely kicks in now when I lower the tailgate, but doesnt seem to be an issue. I havent had any problems with the tailgate flexing or shifting when opening, closing, etc.

Im planning a short quick day trip this weekend to do some wheeling, Ill throw some recovery gear in there and see how it works / what I can fit in / etc.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Update, got a few pictures of the tailgate installed.

The first question anyone has is "Does it lock?" and the answer is no.
Also, the design allows for the panel to be opened with the tailgate closed, so you cannot rely on the tailgate lock to keep the panel closed. Its a bummer - I can fix it with a step drill and a $10 barrel lock off amazon, but at $1500 shipped, I shouldnt be having to do things like that.

Aside from that complain, the piece is of high quality and Im happy with it. Once I have fixed the locking issue, I will get around to loading it with equipment.

If it's not too late, look around a bit, you can find that latch style that locks.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
If it's not too late, look around a bit, you can find that latch style that locks.
Glad you said this - I had ordered a random lock off amazon but hadnt gotten around to messing with it. I took a look on McMaster and was able to order a direct replacement with key lock.

I only swapped one of the 4 latches, it was a 2 minute job with an 8mm socket. They are keyed alike, but im not terribly concerned about it, if someone REALLY wants in theyll take a crowbar to it, having the one keyed latch serves primarily as a deterrent and gives me piece of mind.

Part number for those interested:
https://www.mcmaster.com/2033N15/

Sponsored

arturv83

First Name
Artur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I never really noticed the tailgate damper before this install - Definitely kicks in now when I lower the tailgate, but doesnt seem to be an issue. I havent had any problems with the tailgate flexing or shifting when opening, closing, etc.

Im planning a short quick day trip this weekend to do some wheeling, Ill throw some recovery gear in there and see how it works / what I can fit in / etc.
What are your thoughts of the tailgate conversion kit since you last posted about it? Have you had any issues with it at all?

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
What are your thoughts of the tailgate conversion kit since you last posted about it? Have you had any issues with it at all?
Im pretty happy with it. Ive been running around with it fully loaded with tools and air down stuff for a while now, I havent had any deformation of the tailgate or any issues with water ingress during rain, car wash, etc. Its held up really well. My tailgate is heavier obviously, but the OEM strut is holding up well so far.