First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
am I the only one that thinks 1500$ isn't bad for that.. it's not like it's a high volume item.. so not really sure there is going to be a windfall of return on that one for them.. so I get it.. it's innovative and outside of the box.. If I had my gladiator back.. I would order it lol
No, you're not alone. I just selfishly wish it wasn't $1500. I think it's a great use of space and easy access to items. I am just interested in the amount of cutting and fitting involved.

@ShastaJT6 pics or it didn't happen :)
Sponsored

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
@ShastaJT6 pics or it didn't happen :)
Oh theres going to be a lot of pictures on this one ahaha.. when I get around to it.. Im hoping to get to this done over the Presidents day weekend we`re about to have, but Ive got a few other things to knock out first (New suspension, Wheels and Tires are on the way, housework, etc).

Heres a screenshot, Joshua / JustAnotherOverlander_ sent me a bunch of videos, but he also sent me a still image of the cutout he made. Ive attached another screenshot with his info.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tailgate Modification Screenshot_20220218-085640

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tailgate Modification Screenshot_20220218-085622

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Oh theres going to be a lot of pictures on this one ahaha.. when I get around to it.. Im hoping to get to this done over the Presidents day weekend we`re about to have, but Ive got a few other things to knock out first (New suspension, Wheels and Tires are on the way, housework, etc).

Heres a screenshot, Joshua / JustAnotherOverlander_ sent me a bunch of videos, but he also sent me a still image of the cutout he made. Ive attached another screenshot with his info.

Whoa! Is that fiberglass inside the cut tailgate?

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Whoa! Is that fiberglass inside the cut tailgate?
Yep, but thats not mine - Thats another owner I was talking to on Instagram.

My fiberglass skills arent great, and I hate working with the stuff, Im going to go with thick butyl patches instead on mine. Im not terribly concerned with reenforcing the outer wall of the tailgate, id be more worried about the flanges created by cutting, but I think that the pieces being riveted in will do a good job of providing structural rigidity. I admire the effort he put in though, that thing is solid.

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Aluminum tubing transport
am I the only one that thinks 1500$ isn't bad for that.. it's not like it's a high volume item.. so not really sure there is going to be a windfall of return on that one for them.. so I get it.. it's innovative and outside of the box.. If I had my gladiator back.. I would order it lol
Im fine with it. I paid somewhere around $1300 for a piece of tinted plastic on my roof. This to me has more value.

Sponsored

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Im fine with it. I paid somewhere around $1300 for a piece of tinted plastic on my roof. This to me has more value.
I feel this one. Its interesting, there are objectively bad decisions to be made sure, but for a lot of the folks here, our priorities are different which leads to different decision making in our builds - leads to a lot of interesting projects and occasionally some disagreements..

Im this way with rooftop tents. I have buddies that swear by them, but I always have a knee jerk response of "Thats dumb, I wouldnt spend my cash on that!"... but there are definitely things Ive bought for my jeep that other folks would feel that way about.. and the world keeps on turning.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Yep, but thats not mine - Thats another owner I was talking to on Instagram.

My fiberglass skills arent great, and I hate working with the stuff, Im going to go with thick butyl patches instead on mine. Im not terribly concerned with reenforcing the outer wall of the tailgate, id be more worried about the flanges created by cutting, but I think that the pieces being riveted in will do a good job of providing structural rigidity. I admire the effort he put in though, that thing is solid.
Whoa. I'm not afraid to let some sparks fly but I'm past the DIY stage if fiberglass is required. Can I ask if this "structural rebuilding" is necessary or is this just taking extra time to go above and beyond "doing it right"? I love to go the extra yard if see the opportunity to tweak even aftermarket parts but if this is a required step of the process I think this upgrade may have lost it's luster to me personally. I know exactly what you are referring to with the rubber butyl panels though, I love using strips of it for various projects. Heck I have some old postal office rubber conveyer belt planks that I cut up to use a padding in projects :)

I'll be following along to see your process! Enjoy the long weekend and good luck!

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Whoa. I'm not afraid to let some sparks fly but I'm past the DIY stage if fiberglass is required. Can I ask if this "structural rebuilding" is necessary or is this just taking extra time to go above and beyond "doing it right"? I love to go the extra yard if see the opportunity to tweak even aftermarket parts but if this is a required step of the process I think this upgrade may have lost it's luster to me personally. I know exactly what you are referring to with the rubber butyl panels though, I love using strips of it for various projects. Heck I have some old postal office rubber conveyer belt planks that I cut up to use a padding in projects :)

I'll be following along to see your process! Enjoy the long weekend and good luck!
I hear you - Its my understanding that this is a recommendation, but not a necessity. Ive attached a screenshot from the instructions provided by Thomas here, that specifically calls out the fiberglass as "optional but recommended".

Its my understanding that the kit is installed with a combination of epoxy and rivets - The instructions reference "Construction Adhesive", I am going to go with Betaseal U-418 Urethane, it comes in a standard caulking tube and I have used it in the past for Windshield replacements so I feel comfortable with it. I think it will provide a combination of strength and flexibility that will be beneficial in this application.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tailgate Modification Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I received mine this week. Put down the deposit a month ago, got one of the first kits in the US - Hopefully wont suffer from too many "early adopter" issues. Havent gotten around to the install yet, have a few other projects that are waiting in the garage and short on time. Ive talked with a few owners who have already done the modification via instagram, and one of them (Joshua / JustAnotherOverlander_ )shared a lot of photos of the install with me.

The designer, Thomas at Black Sheep, was really communicative and helpful. It does seem like a fairly straightforward install, although you are absolutely doing some cutting. Thomas provided a GD&T sheet laid out with all the cuts necessary and the dimensions of them.

Im going to just lay down some Killmatz butyl patches inside the tailgate for the extra support, If I find that it feels goofy I may go back and fiberglass it later, but seems a bit overkill to me.

The parts were packaged really well, and Thomas was awesome about getting things set up for the US Folks - Had to change the language on his site and set up a credit card payment processor, etc.

Mine shipped and tracking said it should be here this week. Now if I could just get my Gladiator delivered and we could install all these mods we have ready!
Any problems or follow-up on this?

Sponsored

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Not for me but a nice product. 1) Makes me think what we can do on our own and 2) if they come out with the gun rack for the JT, I would still be slow to spend, but might think about it.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Tailgate Modification 1660506882802

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Ran across this interesting product. Based out of Switzerland & seems to be $1500 shipped. Shows promise about what else is being done with the gladiator.

Anyone seen anything similar? Curious as to what else could be done with the tailgate other than MOLLE panels or fancy cutting boards.

https://www.blacksheep-innovations.com/jeepgladiator

$1,362 + $165 shipping and it permanently alters the tailgate. Interesting, but no thanks.

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Any problems or follow-up on this?
No problems. This is built very well and has performed better than I expected. I am pleased with how much storage space that it offered and really did exactly what I wanted it for.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No problems. This is built very well and has performed better than I expected. I am pleased with how much storage space that it offered and really did exactly what I wanted it for.
I was looking through some older threads and remembered that no one had followed up after installing and use. :like:
Sponsored