OP

bigcanoe

First Name
Arn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE
My old truck is long paid for and I don't care if I beat it up a bit. The Gladiator I would like to keep nice at least until the other truck dies. I may end up getting rid of the old truck though over time. Like you said I would not really NEED two trucks.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
My old truck is long paid for and I don't care if I beat it up a bit. The Gladiator I would like to keep nice at least until the other truck dies. I may end up getting rid of the old truck though over time. Like you said I would not really NEED two trucks.
choose the Gladiator
Agreed. Just get the gladiator. You know you want to.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
After offroading with the Gladiator, it kind of makes me want a 2dr Wrangler. But, the Wrangler would have to be my spare vehicle as I really do like having the Gladiator.
I've never even driven a 4dr Wrangler, so I have no input here.
I have a 73 f100, though running ;) you need to get yours running!
Good luck with whatever you choose.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
How much off-roading do you do and how tight are the trails? The Gladiator is long. Was surprised when I parked next to my dad's Chevy Avalanche and noticed the wheelbase was nearly identical. You already have a truck x2, so if you're just looking for the Jeep Life, get a JL or JLU. I needed a truck to haul kayaks and bikes and I wanted to be able to remove the doors/tops on said hauler, and wanted 4WD for when the off-road bug hit...that pretty much limited the choices. I'm too old to care about "cool" as my daily driver is a 2000 Nissan Frontier, 219k miles, faded paint, manual windows, intermittent radio, and broken AC so it is limited to local missions.

Edit: Now that I reread your posts, I would keep the Rav4, sell both of the Ford trucks, and get the Glad.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me it was all about enclosed cargo space.

We have a couple of houses and are always bringing stuff between the two. Plus, I bird hunt and want to be able to haul the dog plus a friends dog plus a ton of gear.

To me that meant either a Suburban or a Pickup truck with a cap. The Gladiator is a convertible and the doors come off. It gave me the cargo space I need, with a topper.

The Wrangler doesn't even come close to the amount of cargo space a Gladiator with a topper can carry.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Wrangler 1664337543378

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Wrangler 1664337556018

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Wrangler 1664337685455

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I have an RV, it would be really cool to tow the Gladiator behind the RV with my motorcycle in the bed...just sayin! The truck aspect is nice but I do have two trucks. But neither one is half Jeep...One is a 2004 Ford 150 and the other is a 1974 Ford F100 (not running currently). I drive a Rav4 and its killing my soul...its great on gas tho.
This is exactly why I have my Gladiator!
My DRZ wouldn’t fit in a Ranger, and Lord keep me from a Japanese truck.

Besides, my real truck is an F250. ;)

Kevin

DavidBT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Happily Retired
We were able to down grade from a 36' 5th wheel to a 26' travel trailer. I had a 3500 CTD for the 5th wheel duties, and it sure was a pain climbing in the back of the truck. With my Max Tow Gladiator, I can lean over the side and touch the bottom of the bed. Since I'm retired, I only drive it once a week or so. I'm fortunate to have a 05 TJR for trail duties. Like someone else mentioned, ditch the other trucks and keep your Rav and get the Gladiator.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I researched and waited two years to get a JLU wrangler while my old lease ended, then when it came time to buy, I bought a gladiator.:movember:
With two small boys I can throw all their dirty toys and sh!t into the back. Try fitting bikes and scooters and any luggage into a wrangler.
So of course my wife ended up buying a JLU I think just to mess with me. Still love the look of a 4Dr.
I put a spacer lift and some skids on the truck, and I don’t think she could go anywhere I couldn’t… but I could haul/tow more!

it always comes down to what is your use case. If you have five other vehicles, are you going to drive a different one to suit your need? The gladiator checks almost all my boxes so I don’t have to try to own more vehicles. I don’t own/want to tow anything enormous, but if I did I would get a 3/4 ton pickup and skip the F150. A 1/2 ton won’t really do much a gladiator can’t, but it will be harder to drive and park around the city/trail (though more comfortable). I’d drive the gladiator with all our crap in it, and when I wanted to tow the house I’d use the cummins.

Sponsored

LWBrew

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.6
Hey all! I have owned several Wranglers in the past. I have never owned a 4 door or a Rubicon. My last was a 2 door Sport in 2018. I am getting the itch again but I discovered the Gladiator. I am having a heck of a time deciding which I want. I cant have both, money and wife will not allow that. I already have a truck but its a bit of a beater but it gets the job done. My wife has a small SUV but its nothing fancy. I am cross shopping Gladiators with JLU Wranglers. If you made the same comparison, what led you to choose the Gladiator?
We (My Wife) has had a TJ, JKU and JLU. Loved the wranglers, but ended up trading the JL in for practical reasons and getting a Pacifica when our 3rd daughter was born. Circumstances led to me needing a new truck. I missed the Jeep, decided I didn't "Need" anything more capable than a JT, so I picked up my 21' Rubicon in November. It rides nicer than the JL thanks to the wheelbase, and you notice the length but otherwise it feels pretty similar. However, If I had no need for the Towing/Hauling benefits, I would go Wrangler.

jkk58

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
Everyone has stated the pros and cons well already. My personal experience... not a serious off road/rock climbing owner... have had (3) Wrangler unlimited and now owner of a Gladiator. Not ever having a truck before, I'm enjoying the Gladiator.... just picked up my son and family at the airport from an international trip... would not have been able to get all the luggage into a Wrangler unlimited. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
Depends on what your looking for. I have always liked the old Jeep Scramblers, so when several companies made the Wranglers into pickups (Brut being one) I thought "If Jeep ever builds that I am buying it". I have always said everyone needs a truck, may not need a 1 ton dually (some do) but a truck non the less.
I had CJ's Yj and a TJ in past as well as a Toyota FJ which I loved , what I didn't love is if I went hunting putting game in the back (eww) or simple things like going to get the Christmas tree to and from, I ended up with pine needles every where and that's tying it down on roof. When I saw Bronco (at first) I was temped but again I thought back and being in the same boat as past Jeeps and FJ......truck just makes more sense.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Hey all! I have owned several Wranglers in the past. I have never owned a 4 door or a Rubicon. My last was a 2 door Sport in 2018. I am getting the itch again but I discovered the Gladiator. I am having a heck of a time deciding which I want. I cant have both, money and wife will not allow that. I already have a truck but its a bit of a beater but it gets the job done. My wife has a small SUV but its nothing fancy. I am cross shopping Gladiators with JLU Wranglers. If you made the same comparison, what led you to choose the Gladiator?
I guess it really depends on the intended purpose of it? For example, I wanted to expand my abilities for extended travel and to do so with more gear and still be comfortable. I was coming from a Jeep Liberty as my primary "overlander". The Wrangler would theoretically not give me much of a different experience from the KJ, aside from the fact that it has better aftermarket support.

So looking at the Gladiator....it's got great aftermarket support and a truck bed. Less interior space as the Wrangler and the KJ, but lots of space overall for gear. So I chose the Gladiator for its overall utility and capability vs the wrangler/kj.
Sponsored