Sponsored

good place to route plow control cable into cabin?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Where's a spot that's easy for an over-weight older guy who is out of shape to reach and run a plow control cable from the engine bay into the cab?

I also need to connect that red wire to an ACC feed, but when I extended the 12v outlet over to the glove box area I used a cable that has taps for power made into the cable - figured I'd never ever use that as I only wanted an extension when I bought that cable. Now, that acc power tap in the 12v outlet extension will come in very handy.

But without necessitating trips to the chiropractor for my back and forcing my ribs into my heart or something, where's an easy spot to feed that white connector and cable into the cab through the firewall?

Jeep Gladiator good place to route plow control cable into cabin? 1665116314402
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
How much cable do you have?

I’ve had good luck by going along the frame rails up through a drain hole, under the carpet and up to where I need it. At least I did it with the cabling for my compressor and then for my CB antenna.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How much cable do you have?

I’ve had good luck by going along the frame rails up through a drain hole, under the carpet and up to where I need it. At least I did it with the cabling for my compressor and then for my CB antenna.
Quite a bit of cable, but hope to keep it up in the firewall area - IF possible. It connects to the main power cables up near the battery and it appears to the headlight harness that I still don't have.
I'm not sure why, their instructions are not the best, and the invoice didn't list individual parts so I'm not sure of the part number of the harness I don't yet have.
Western's instructions and diagrams are made for professional plow installers and the engineers that created their harnesses.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
If you do the driver side. The hole where the clutch pedal rod would go through. Fairly easy to get to.
Quite a bit of cable, but hope to keep it up in the firewall area - IF possible. It connects to the main power cables up near the battery and it appears to the headlight harness that I still don't have.
I'm not sure why, their instructions are not the best, and the invoice didn't list individual parts so I'm not sure of the part number of the harness I don't yet have.
Western's instructions and diagrams are made for professional plow installers and the engineers that created their harnesses.
This was my next suggestion. It’s not the easiest to get to though, at least it wasn’t for me.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
This was my next suggestion. It’s not the easiest to get to though, at least it wasn’t for me.
I had no problem with it. Put a straight piece of stiff wire through the hole from the inside to the engine compartment. Taped my wires to it and pulled it back through.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think I’d prolly use @Jefe1018 suggestion. Could you remove the front seat to make it more reasonable to be on your back?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
By drain holes, I assume what's meant is those with the rubber plug in the floor mat that drains through the elongated hole in the floor pans? That's got the mat's drain plugs in it and would require disturbing 2 feet of carpet not to mention getting stepped on and wet.
That seems more of a problem getting the wire down to the frame, along the frame rail, pulling the mat's drain out of the floor, pulling carpet back and running the wire up the foot area then.
And that leaves the slush mats undrained and the mat sticking up because the mat drain then can't go down into the floor drain - unless there's some other drain hole I'm missing out on.
My slush mats stick down through the floor drain holes - in the winter, I pull the plugs and wash the salt and sand and sludge out.
Maybe there's other holes in the floor?

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I'm sure you already figured this out but there is another way. I found while looking for ways to route coax for future antennas. The cowl's just front of the A pillar. They are held on by 4 bolts right. So there is hollow space under it. If you use a light, pull back a little the foam/rubber that seals off the hood, you will see open space going to the door hinge area. Now, open the door, and you will see open space going through the frame, and popping out right behind the dash. I will try and take some pics of it tomorrow if I can remember.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
After removing the plastic plug I found this comes out into the cab right by the MOPAR trailer brake controller. A perfect spot!

Jeep Gladiator good place to route plow control cable into cabin? 20221007_141436_HDR

I drilled the center of the plastic plug with a brad point bit to make a perfectly clean, perfectly centered hole, fed the controller connector through, and put a grommet in place and pulled the cable through a bit more.

Ideal location I can strap the cable to the existing factory harnesses.

Jeep Gladiator good place to route plow control cable into cabin? 20221007_142052

From here the cable can go straight forward to connect to the headlight harnesses.
Sponsored