Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep did cut some things. I know I didn’t get the air up feature where the horn honks at the desired pressure.
That's not lack of supplies or hardware............ not if Tazer or JSCAN can do it. It's programming.
Have you gone through the process in the radio setup of turning it on?

If it was a lack of semiconductors, there'd be other things lacking, but since it relies on the federally mandated TMPS - it's going to be hardware-capable................. unless it's an issue of the sensors in the wheels themselves. I can hardly see that, either, however. One thing I've wondered - were the sensors for RUBICON, just for example, somehow different or special?
TPMS reporting to the truck isn't a live thing and only happens when the sensors are awake, and then, only every few seconds. Even JSCAN says to not hurry because it takes time for the TPMS sensors to report updated info to the vehicle.

Anyway - that isn't a supply thing - it's tied to existing hardware in the TPMS system and that is a federal thing - they can't produce and sell trucks in the USA without TPMS.

When you actually compare equipment for equipment, the other mid sized trucks are only around a $3-5k difference in price. their base models are not 4x4, and are standard or extended cabs, not the crew cab of the gladiator. Then factor in the convertible top and removeable doors...
Agreed - in fact, over 2 years ago people here were complaining about price and how much cheaper any other truck would be and so on - and someone actually went to the competing sites and priced out trucks with like-for-like options, added 4x4 and so on, and the prices were pretty close, but then the others still lacked roof removal, the ability to flex like these, break-over and departure were not as good.

How much is true of Gladiator buyers being mostly prev Jeep owners anyway? Any stats or demographics? How much cross-shopping happens from other truck brands?
Don't count out people like me:
My brother has been a Jeep person for many years - since his very early 20s, with the CJs, then later the other models and now he's got a TJ, maybe more. I was always like "man, I want one of those". I built a puddle-jumper with a friend years ago - stripped a Ford car to the frame, shortened the wheel base drastically......... and I've worked on them many times as a mechanic. I have owned other Jeeps - Comanche, Cherokee, and more - never a "Wrangler". When I saw one of these I knew then I could downsize my truck (had usually had full-size but the Comanche told me I could do fine with a smaller truck) So here was not only my cake, but icing. Wrangler and truck, one spot taken in the garage - and taking less space than that huge Silverado.
I'd not have a Jeep if it wasn't for this. My wife is a "only Grand Cherokee" person so she helps keep Jeep alive, but we'd likely have one Jeep if it wasn't for the JT.

My sister-in-law order the Maverick Lariat edition in October - still hasn't seen it - apparently the Lariat has electronics Ford can't buy yet. She says she doesn't have a VIN, so I'm not sure if Ford has stopped making vehicles or trims, but it sounds like they aren't making what they can't make.
Toyota has a similar problem getting certain semiconductors and electronics, so has cut production of some models. It truly is a big deal out there.
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
That's not lack of supplies or hardware............ not if Tazer or JSCAN can do it. It's programming.
I mean, it could definitely be a hardware issue. It's totally plausible that the Tazer has the stuff it needs built-in that the Jeep no longer has. Hence why the "tire fill" setting is a live setting, it's using Tazer's hardware to do it. Without the Tazer, the Jeep doesn't have the hardware.

After all, you are adding a piece of hardware by plugging in the Tazer...

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
My sister-in-law order the Maverick Lariat edition in October - still hasn't seen it - apparently the Lariat has electronics Ford can't buy yet. She says she doesn't have a VIN, so I'm not sure if Ford has stopped making vehicles or trims, but it sounds like they aren't making what they can't make.
I believe it. Placed a order for a Bronco Sport for the wife the first week of May and the dealership told me a minimum of 4 months before it gets built but to expect the possibility of 6 months or so being possible. It is built in the same plant as the Maverick and shares the same platform family as the Maverick.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I like how FCA every month is jacking the prices on certain options, Example:

My 2019 JLUR - body color matched fenders MY19 was $495, then last year was $695, NOW its $995? WTF.

I finally closed on my new house and getting ready to sell my old house then I was going to buy a Mojave JT. But for a couple bucks more I might as well order a new Silverado ZR2, better tech and 6.2.

JTsGarage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
The JT isn't going anywhere. And it was never intended to be a volume seller. For better or worse, Stellantis/FCA made the decision a long time ago to chase higher average transaction prices. That's why the historically niche Jeep brand became the "volume" brand, Ram became a standalone brand and Dodge and Chrysler took a back seat. So far, the strategy has worked out pretty well at least in terms of profitability.

I believe I read somewhere not too long ago that Jeep is prioritizing Wrangler production over the Gladiator (no surprise). Especially the 4xE Wranglers, which I'm confident eat up a lot of computer chips.

Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
As for Ranger sales plummeting, a brand new model is on the horizon. And in current times it is not uncommon for the cheaper models to get sidelined while the more expensive ones get built. If you think Ford is willing to put it's "Best selling truck in America for 40whatever years" boast for F150s at risk to sell more Rangers, I don't know what to tell you.

Gladiators aren't selling to the normal small truck people. 40-70k for a small truck? Nuh-uh. Gladiators are selling to an expansion of the Wrangler demographic. A Ranger 501a Tremor with as many options are you can throw at it is still cheaper than my manual transmission cloth seat minimally optioned Mojave.
I tried to sell my friends on trading their high trimmed/ optioned Tacoma on a Jeep after the wife drove and really liked it. Was all good until we started comparing prices and their eyes got huge then were like "no thanks; we'll stick with the Toyota. Nice Jeep though."

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
I like how FCA every month is jacking the prices on certain options, Example:

My 2019 JLUR - body color matched fenders MY19 was $495, then last year was $695, NOW its $995? WTF.

I finally closed on my new house and getting ready to sell my old house then I was going to buy a Mojave JT. But for a couple bucks more I might as well order a new Silverado ZR2, better tech and 6.2.
You should see what they did to their $99 gorilla glass option, lol.

Wrangler and truck, one spot taken in the garage - and taking less space than that huge Silverado.
I'd not have a Jeep if it wasn't for this.
I'm that guy.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I mean, it could definitely be a hardware issue. It's totally plausible that the Tazer has the stuff it needs built-in that the Jeep no longer has. Hence why the "tire fill" setting is a live setting, it's using Tazer's hardware to do it. Without the Tazer, the Jeep doesn't have the hardware.

After all, you are adding a piece of hardware by plugging in the Tazer...
OK, devil's advocate or whatever you want to call it - bear with me if you would.... (and I didn't know it was a LIVE feature - but likely LIVE only because it's not a feature on all level of JT - not hardware)

You have the existing TPMS system as required. It alerts you if the pressures get to a certain point (all configurable with any good product - tazer, jscan, AlfaOBD, whatever) so you have the system reading pressures AND alerting you of a low pressure situation. It's all there.
You have the ability to honk the horn for a number of things - lock, leaving the truck with FOB and several more things it can honk about.
So that's there.
Since the truck reads the tire pressure, since it alerts you with a pop-up on the cluster about low tire pressure - which you can configure as far as the pressure you want alerted to) and it can honk - isn't this more of a "we aren't giving you that feature unless you buy THIS level of truck" thing?
JSCAN can monitor your tire pressure.
You connect your phone to the BT OBD adapter, go to the jscan tire pressure screen, and you either fill up or air down until you get the numbers you want. Granted, TPMS isn't real time...... but...... if software can monitor on your phone, are we sure it's hardware?
Just a thought - maybe your truck is a base sport and doesn't have the alert feature because you were cheap (HAHA, just kidding!) and didn't pay them enough money to reward you - so tazer is bypassing that and giving it to you in their programming, bypassing the truck? Maybe it's a program in the tazer, and not hardware?

Makes me wonder since jscan has this -
Jeep Gladiator Good, we're more exclusive now.. Screenshot 2022-07-08 9.02.52 AM

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
My takeaway from that article was that you could still buy a Nissan Frontier in 2021 and it still looked like this:
Jeep Gladiator Good, we're more exclusive now.. 1657291236330

Always impressed (is that the right word?) by how long Nissan is willing to stretch a platform...

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
And how about that astronomical market share that Toyota still maintains with the Taco ... if they would toss their currently possessed 6 spd , throw in a 8spd trans and reconfigure so you could easily toss on some 33's ... hmmmm

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
My takeaway from that article was that you could still buy a Nissan Frontier in 2021 and it still looked like this:

Always impressed (is that the right word?) by how long Nissan is willing to stretch a platform...
When the tooling and initial developement costs have been long paid off, it is way more profit even if unit sales numbers are lower.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

I traded in a 14' Pro4-X for my JT ... the Frontier was an excellent truck. Solid and reliable with the VQ-40 as they had worked out most bugs ... and IMO easier to lift and fit larger tires than the Taco. Fuel efficiency was it's biggest detriment. the JT hands down smokes them ALL off road ... no question.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

There are mostly Chevy trucks, followed closely by Ford, Toyota has quite a few on the road here, but it's often a week or so before I see a Nissan pickup of any sort in our area. They just aren't sold here. Could be the same - or similar reasons - you don't see many Gladiators here. People are used to TRUCKS - farmers, construction workers, contractors, the guy installing my new windshield - has a full-sized (1/2 ton) as he's got to carry glass in the back (5' bed just won't cut it) . This just isn't Nissan truck territory, or some other makes and models for that matter.
Lots of Rangers - you see quite a few of them around here. My father had a 2010 - first and only new vehicle my parents ever owned, ever - and they bought a new Ford Ranger 2010. Mom died 5 years later, Dad 3 after that.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
The base Maverick is supposed to be like $19k and stealerships are trying to sell them for $40

That being said, due to the supply chain madness over the last year we really can't take any numbers worth a grain of salt

MattHamilton

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Support Analyst
The base Maverick is supposed to be like $19k and stealerships are trying to sell them for $40

That being said, due to the supply chain madness over the last year we really can't take any numbers worth a grain of salt
I think the Canadian market is a little bit less cut throat than the American market. Maybe. I haven't really been following selling prices of new vehicles up here.
Sponsored