Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
You should see how some glass shop put the rear glass in my Javelin - I still can't get all the urethane crap off the inside vinyl trim, they scratched the glass and it's not even supposed to be put in with urethane. It's a butyl install.

Glass shops are all about insurance jobs - quickly replace the glass in a new vehicle and collect the insurance money. They don't give a rip.
@JeepCares and you wonder why we are resistant to use dealerships !
Is there a protocol for using your own shop and getting reimbursement? I had a power rear-window installed in the Dodge and found a really nice shop to do it for two or three hundred bucks. The windows are notoriously difficult to get installed correctly.

Does removal of the old glass render it useless? Like are they breaking it to get it out?
Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I also have a leak at the rear window but only when washing the vehicle, and with the horror stories of top damage not sure if it is worth the risk. I believe Jeep uses a friction seal on the glass for flexibility when removing the top and wonder if this may cause a leak if direct spray hits the glass. I also notice a drip tray at the bottom of the window and just wonder if this is for leakage that may occur from the seal and if so why is Jeep approving dealers replacing the windows for leaks unless they are exceptionally large leaks?

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Well it sounds like the glass guy is stepping up to the plate and is ordering me a new top. Apparently the new tops come in primmer so it has to go in for paint once it arrives. I may also buy my old top back from him. He said he has no use for it. If I can get it cheap enough Ill try and make a pass through camper top with a bed topper.

AXG1040

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave
Well it sounds like the glass guy is stepping up to the plate and is ordering me a new top. Apparently the new tops come in primmer so it has to go in for paint once it arrives. I may also buy my old top back from him. He said he has no use for it. If I can get it cheap enough Ill try and make a pass through camper top with a bed topper.
Good to hear. A good body shop will be able to match it no problem. Things happen and as long as they make it right that’s all you can ask for.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending

Sponsored

Slyboots2313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Had mine done as well. Dealer used SafeLite. Took them multiple days to get done, like it threw them for a loop for some reason. Got under my backseat a few weeks after that and noticed there was broken glass everywhere. Pictures don’t quite do justice.
Jeep Gladiator Got New Rear Window and They Chipped My Top 913A9DBD-FE75-43CE-9B83-A2CED5012F65
Jeep Gladiator Got New Rear Window and They Chipped My Top 2C0AE7DB-48F0-4380-8AD7-E75043A440F3
Jeep Gladiator Got New Rear Window and They Chipped My Top A3172609-8969-4CBB-9B0A-3DC10EB90850

Sc7902

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
I had the window replaced in my gladiator too...they have major issue going on. My truck was in the shop for 7 weeks waiting on a new window assembly. Now im dealing with my wrangler. Radiator leaking. They replaced the radiator, but when I got home I notice my hood was crushed on each side..matched up to my windshield frame...Really pissed they tried to get away with the damage...So they take it back and sent it to the bodyshop. Now it looks like Mo,Larry and Curly spot painted it...Billet Silver is metalic and cant be spot painted. They also buffed half the letters off the hood decal. Good Grief Jeep!!!!! Waitng to get it back in the shop

Jeep Gladiator Got New Rear Window and They Chipped My Top 20210603_170242

Jeep Gladiator Got New Rear Window and They Chipped My Top 20210604_073422

Last edited:

Slyboots2313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I had the window replaced in my gladiator too...they have major issue going on. My truck was in the shop for 7 weeks waiting on a new window assembly. Now im dealing with my wrangler. Radiator leaking. They replaced the radiator, but when I got home I notice my hood was crushed on each side..matched up to my windshield frame...Really pissed they tried to get away with the damage...So they take it back and sent it to the bodyshop. Now it looks like Mo,Larry and Curly spot painted it...Billet Silver is metalic and cant be spot painted. They also buffed half the letters off the hood decal. Good Grief Jeep!!!!! Waitng to get it back in the shop

Is it weird that I kind of like the “fade” on the Wrangler decal? Lol hope they fix everything for you. Dealers suck, regardless of brand.

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Had mine done as well. Dealer used SafeLite. Took them multiple days to get done, like it threw them for a loop for some reason. Got under my backseat a few weeks after that and noticed there was broken glass everywhere. Pictures don’t quite do justice.
That is terrible work and who ever did this is a jack wagon. My guy left behind a dusty mess but nothing like this. Either way unprofessional at best. It would of took 10 min to shop back it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Why would you have to buy back YOUR top?
In my word I live by a few short words like... the new guy cleans the shitters...an eye fur an eye...you break it you bought it.:LOL:

To tell you the truth I never thought about it like that. I will have to see what comes of the whole ordeal. The window guy called me friday and told me his insurance company would be getting ahold of me that day or Monday. So far crickets. There is actually no reason for me to be talking with the window guy. I hired the jeep dealer to do warranty work on my truck. They farmed it out to someone that screwed up my top. They should be the ones dealing with it and making things right.

Slyboots2313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Why would you have to buy back YOUR top?
From an insurance perspective it’s about indemnity, or making you whole again. Once they’ve replaced your top and made you whole again, you would be overcompensated if you kept the old one as well. It’s up to them what they do with it. At least that’s my experience as a former insurance adjuster YMMV.

OP
OP
Troybilt

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Well almost 5 mounts later and I finally have my chipped up hard top issue fixed. The insurance company sent me a check for $937 and refused to pay for a new top. The dealers body shop manager went ahead and ordered a new top for me and told me that they would fight it out on who pays the difference. In the end he sent over a few more pictures and made a phone call and got them to cover the $4K it took to get a new top, have it painted and installed.

He let me keep the chipped top for a pass through camper shell idea I have been kicking around. I will post it up for sale for a bit and if I don't see any traction on it I will be taking the cut off wheel to it.

I am very pleased with the manager at the body shop. I was very upset at how everyone was handling the ordeal but from the 1st time I spoke with the manager he took care of me. He really stepped up and made sure things where going to be done right. Only one guy in the entire company that knows how to treat a customer.
Jeep Gladiator Got New Rear Window and They Chipped My Top IMG_0291.JPG

Last edited:

Deleted member 30519

I've had my JT for a year and half and never had a rear window leak until hurricane Ida. It was just a couple of drops coming down inside. After reading this I'm just gonna leave it alone . LoL

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my JT for a year and half and never had a rear window leak until hurricane Ida. It was just a couple of drops coming down inside. After reading this I'm just gonna leave it alone . LoL
That was my thoughts also, but now at 2 years the leak did increase and didn't want to wait till it was out of warranty since the rear window is about $1600. They did scratch my top with one small chip, but the glass shop is stepping up and paying a body shop to repair. The only bad thing is the glass has to come back out and no one knows if it will stay in one piece or need another new window
Sponsored