Greasing axle bearings

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
Finally bought a car trailer. Found a used aluminum at a good price. Never had a trailer before so everything is new. I was looking at the axle bearings, there is a lot of grease around them. Wiped some of it off and saw they are Dexter E-Z lube. Went to the Dexter site and found the manual. What you can see here is the rubber plug, grease fitting is underneath. In the manual they don't show any other type of cap but looking at it, it would think I I'd want one to cover the end of the bearing so dirt doesn't get it or the grease doesn't get all over everything

Jeep Gladiator Greasing axle bearings wheel 2

Jeep Gladiator Greasing axle bearings wheel
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Being a used trailer. I would disassemble the axle, clean, inspect, and repack the wheel bearings.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
disassemble and re pack.

get a bag of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MWCQF56/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1
the caps rot out.

and get a set of these to go over the caps, it helps keep the caps protected and less grease mess.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CC2UEK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i make a point to shoot some grease in the bearings every few months or before a long trip.

Use mineral spirts and a old tooth brush to clean everything up.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Being a used trailer. I would disassemble the axle, clean, inspect, and repack the wheel bearings.
^^ this.
If you don’t have the time right now, hit the covers with brake cleaner to clear all the grease and grime on the outside off. Use a flat head, pry off the rubber cap, insert grease gun onto fitting- pump until new grease shows. Wipe excess, re-install rubber cap.

Sponsored