Hamburger's Supercharger experience?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Forced induction can be a great equalizer. The biggest hang up is the tuning. To make things even more complex on the on the 3.6L is the control strategies used to feed it fuel. These can allow you to utilize almost every last once of the practical power, they can also allow things to skew sideways quickly. Bring in high cylinder pressures and quick engine speeds, and conservative tuning makes sense from a business perspective. Introducing power at high RPMs and throttle positions is smart as the engine is use to extreme loading and fuel amounts in these areas. Your just pushing capability at this point not changing the load cycle. I can give plenty of examples forced induction is a great mediator of power. I love a rowdy bog block dont get me wrong, but modern power density is not lost on me.
Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Forced induction can be a great equalizer. The biggest hang up is the tuning. To make things even more complex on the on the 3.6L is the control strategies used to feed it fuel. These can allow you to utilize almost every last once of the practical power, they can also allow things to skew sideways quickly. Bring in high cylinder pressures and quick engine speeds, and conservative tuning makes sense from a business perspective. Introducing power at high RPMs and throttle positions is smart as the engine is use to extreme loading and fuel amounts in these areas. Your just pushing capability at this point not changing the load cycle. I can give plenty of examples forced induction is a great mediator of power. I love a rowdy bog block dont get me wrong, but modern power density is not lost on me.
I think you are agreeing with me but I could be wrong....

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the most part. Ingpt lost in thought, I apologize. I think once I am finished with my forced induced engine it will be a close second.

Gvsskier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Manual with Magnuson SC, 4:56, 2” lift, and 35”
Occupation
Business
Davecs1, I’d love to gain further insights into your tuning efforts. I think the manual transmission exacerbates the tuning issue. I’m on the 4th tuning file as of today and the Tuner is certainly improving lower rpm drive ability but it’s still not smooth unless I open the throttle up and 3rd gear or higher and the engine spins above 2800 rpm. Would you be interested in receiving a copy of file #4?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure, I can look at it. Have you tried my EVO 6.8 file on the Magnuson thread? My opinion is the manual trans simplifies things greatly as there is one less torque model to battle and about 100 less tables

Sponsored

Gvsskier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Manual with Magnuson SC, 4:56, 2” lift, and 35”
Occupation
Business
I haven't see your EVO 6.8 file yet but will get on it in the morning (pacific zone). Im really encouraged to hear you feel manual is simpler. I can't attach the file to this message. How about emailing?

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2013 JKUR, 2008 JKU Sahara (sold)
I haven't see your EVO 6.8 file yet but will get on it in the morning (pacific zone). Im really encouraged to hear you feel manual is simpler. I can't attach the file to this message. How about emailing?
This thread went silent quick. There was more positivity in the earlier pages - then it sounds like people were having issues and the light switch was turned off. It's been over a year. Did people's experience with Hamburgers go south? Are there other brands of SCs that have been issue free?

Halfcabnut

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator . 2000 Ford 7.3 Superduty/1974 Ford Bronco Halfcab
Occupation
Sheetmetal Fabricator
This thread went silent quick. There was more positivity in the earlier pages - then it sounds like people were having issues and the light switch was turned off. It's been over a year. Did people's experience with Hamburgers go south? Are there other brands of SCs that have been issue free?
Thinking the same thing . I've been watching this thread as well wishing to gain as much knowledge as possible before pulling the trigger on a system.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No brands have been issue free.

I posted a question on this forum asking for anyone to share their turn-key experience. By that I mean the unit bolted on, the manufacturer's tune was uploaded and away they drove.

Good performance, good drivability, safe, smooth.

I didn't get a single "Yes" from anyone.

Sure DaveCS1 can make a great tune with factory or better drivability. But the problem is that now you are fiddling around making changes.

this is fine if your Gladiator is a weekend toy. But if its your only daily driver, then this can be very stressful.

Not to mention that some makers like Magnusson offer a 3/36,000 powertrain warranty with their product and if you use someone else's tune (even if its better and safer) then that warranty goes ou the window.

So at least at this point, no superchargers are plug and play.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 trucks MAYBE, but 2021 newer forget it.

I agree

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 trucks MAYBE, but 2021 newer forget it.

I agree
Wasn't there an situation recently where you had a pretty much perfect tune that ran flawlessly. (to most of us. I'm sure you always see room for improvement)

Then a customer brought their truck into the dealer for some other work and the dealer reflashed something and drivability went to hell and you had to remake the tune???

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was not my tune. It was a livernious tune and they asked if I could fix it.

I have fixed issues with other suppliers in the past, but I have a fair number of customers at this point and they are the priority. I don't mind offering advice but math and keyboard time I am directing towards the people that purchased my assistance.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was not my tune. It was a livernious tune and they asked if I could fix it.

I have fixed issues with other suppliers in the past, but I have a fair number of customers at this point and they are the priority. I don't mind offering advice but math and keyboard time I am directing towards the people that purchased my assistance.
Absolutely. You did it for free for so long, I was actually saying to myself - this guy is giving stuff away that people would GLADLY pay him money for. ha.

I hope you make a lot of money.

As an aside, If you had to make a recommendation, what kit would you say? Magnusson or Edelbrock?
I seem to remember you saying that Magnusson caused less of a temp gain with boost than Edelbrock?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely. You did it for free for so long, I was actually saying to myself - this guy is giving stuff away that people would GLADLY pay him money for. ha.

I hope you make a lot of money.

As an aside, If you had to make a recommendation, what kit would you say? Magnusson or Edelbrock?
I seem to remember you saying that Magnusson caused less of a temp gain with boost than Edelbrock?
My favorite setup going, is a 2020 gladiator with automatic and magnuson running a small pulley. The additional airflow allows you to make cam adjust that reduce dynamic compression qhen you need it and then wick the power up when everything is safe.
Sponsored