Sponsored

Hauled 720# today. Very pleased with my Gladiator.

jeepdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator , 91 Grand Wagoneer, 1964 CJ3B, 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715, two unrestored 1956 Willys Pickups
I drove to a trucking depot 60 miles away from home today, and picked up 24- 30# bags of masonry grout.
I stacked the bags two layers deep in the front half of the bed, and the rear of the truck still didn't squat down to where the truck would be level.
I actually think that the steering was better with the load on the truck.
Running 42# air in all four tires.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Pics?
I drove to a trucking depot 60 miles away from home today, and picked up 24- 30# bags of masonry grout.
I stacked the bags two layers deep in the front half of the bed, and the rear of the truck still didn't squat down to where the truck would be level.
I actually think that the steering was better with the load on the truck.
Running 42# air in all four tires.
Pics?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I hauled 4 Rubicon tires and wheels, right over the axle, in my Overland and it dropped the back 1.75" at the rear bumper.
A couple of weeks back I hauled 5 60# bags of concrete at the back end of the bed (who the heck is going to toss 60 pound bags of concrete any further THEN unload them LOL)
That's 300 pounds at the back of the bed. It made it handle like the front end was light, not nearly as fun to drive. I failed to measure the "squat", but being at the very back of the bed it had to drop it a touch more than the wheels and tires did over the axle.
Your weight would have dropped mine so the headlight made me look like a raccoon hunter.
BUT- you had a lot of your weight on the FRONT axle, too, since it was at the front of the bed. No wonder it handled better - adding weight to the front would do that, or should.

OP
OP
jeepdan

jeepdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator , 91 Grand Wagoneer, 1964 CJ3B, 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715, two unrestored 1956 Willys Pickups
No pictures.
I had intended to take the digital camera along with us to document any shipping damage that might have happened, but we forgot it.
I refuse to buy a cell phone. I'm getting along in life just fine without one.

Yes, load placement makes a big difference in handling.
I was very conscious about that, as my Father in Law was very skeptical of our "little jeep truck" hauling that much weight.
He tried to talk us out of going, despite me telling him of the Gladiators payload rating.

Parked in a Lowes parking lot on the way home, I noted to my wife that the rear wasn't even weighted down to where the truck was level.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No pictures.
I had intended to take the digital camera along with us to document any shipping damage that might have happened, but we forgot it.
I refuse to buy a cell phone. I'm getting along in life just fine without one.

Yes, load placement makes a big difference in handling.
I was very conscious about that, as my Father in Law was very skeptical of our "little jeep truck" hauling that much weight.
He tried to talk us out of going, despite me telling him of the Gladiators payload rating.

Parked in a Lowes parking lot on the way home, I noted to my wife that the rear wasn't even weighted down to where the truck was level.
You had it loaded as intended. With that much weight I would have asked the store to load that much concrete, so it could be placed further ahead. Imagine 700 pounds sitting behind the axle! OUCH.

Good on the cell phone. Handy, yeah,, but then everyone expects you can always take a call or a text no matter what time, where you are or what you are doing. In Korea, if you are standing talking to a group of people, no matter the situation, and your cell phone rings, it's considered rude to not answer it. My son says it can be difficult over there - I believe it. Everywhere you go in places like Seoul, Daegu, etc. people have their eyes in the cell phone and their hands occupied on the screen. Surprised they don't walk out in front of a bus or fall into a hole or walk into a tree along the sidewalks. Subway, train, sidewalks, stores, even getting their hair styled - there are USB ports on the stylist chairs, and phone stands at counters while the guys get their hair done up so they can keep using that cell phone. It's like something out of a movie. We saw guys under hair dryers still texting and reading those stupid phones.

Last edited:

Sponsored

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
700? That's nothing. I put over 1000lbs of flooring in the back of my hatch, my wife had the other half in hers. I've done 800lbs of concrete in a trip too.

20191106_182113.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
700? That's nothing. I put over 1000lbs of flooring in the back of my hatch, my wife had the other half in hers. I've done 800lbs of concrete in a trip too.

Jeep Gladiator Hauled  720# today. Very pleased with my Gladiator. 20191106_182113
That flooring is NOT LIGHT. I used that in our new sunroom and I thought my back was going to fall apart after loading and unloading it all. But I really like the flooring. I brought it home in the back of the JT - since it was long boxes like that it was pretty well spread in the bed of the truck and did well.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
That flooring is NOT LIGHT. I used that in our new sunroom and I thought my back was going to fall apart after loading and unloading it all. But I really like the flooring. I brought it home in the back of the JT - since it was long boxes like that it was pretty well spread in the bed of the truck and did well.
I laid 900 sq ft of it in our house, moved 55 boxes of it 3 times. Sucked.
Sponsored