Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
  • Banned
As some know I've been on the forums for awhile and I've been watching the gladiator ever since it came to life. I've spent the last two years slowly killing my debt where my finances will be In order to buy a gladiator sometime next year but im stuck. I've built probably 1000 vehicles from different trims on the build website. What I do want is manual transmission. I can go as base as it goes and go to the willys package which looks nice but 3 73 gears less towing but more payload and with manual windows I constantly see myself having issues because I like to roll down windows in bad rain ect so I can see clearly before I drive off so that will be a pain. I can upgrade to the willys sport s manual but rubicon is just 5k away and ill have 410 gears and have alot more to go with it. Only want aux switches and tow package regardless of trim. Would you jump to the rubicon manual and call it a day or go sport s willys manual. Im tired of going back and forth and making myself aggravated. Yes I can regear sport s but by the time I do that I might as well buy the rubicon. Someone point me in the right direction before my head explodes. Don't plan on any major rock crawling but would like to overland and camp through trails
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
  • Banned
If you plan to run 33s or larger I'd suggest to get the Max Tow Sport S or Rubicon.
Id like to go 35. Thats the max I'd go. Im worried with power issues if I got 373 gears with 35s. 410 gears seems to be alot better for most people

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Id like to go 35. Thats the max I'd go. Im worried with power issues if I got 373 gears with 35s. 410 gears seems to be alot better for most people
Yea, Id recommend getting the 4.10 gears if you want to run 35s and tow a little from time to time.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Since you are not ready to buy yet, you shouldn't spend so much time driving yourself crazy figuring out what to buy. I went the opposite direction and bought a fully loaded Overland. It could be the last new truck I buy, and I bought based on that. I've had manual transmissions and manual windows. I hate being inconvenienced, and do what I can to avoid it.

Sponsored

lppd45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon M/T, 1966 Deville convertible, 2013 Jetta TDI M/T, 2003 Road King, and 2016 CVO Street Glide
Occupation
Retired
Go with the Rubicon. You won't be sorry. I just put 35's on mine last week. The 4:10's handle them quite well.

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
  • Banned
Since you are not ready to buy yet, you shouldn't spend so much time driving yourself crazy figuring out what to buy. I went the opposite direction and bought a fully loaded Overland. It could be the last new truck I buy, and I bought based on that. I've had manual transmissions and manual windows. I hate being inconvenienced, and do what I can to avoid it.
Its been years in the making and the closer I get the more detailed I want to get. Ill keep this truck for life and im leaning rubicon for 410 gears plus 500 more towing. I dont plan on too many crazy mods other than bumpers and a winch and 35s so the rubicon is pretty much already set up without too much modding

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Its been years in the making and the closer I get the more detailed I want to get. Ill keep this truck for life and im leaning rubicon for 410 gears plus 500 more towing. I dont plan on too many crazy mods other than bumpers and a winch and 35s so the rubicon is pretty much already set up without too much modding
Sounds like you've unstuck yourself!

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Sounds like you've unstuck yourself!
Yeah I feel that way but then I look at the base sport and I can comfortably be happy with it. Then I think in my mind im never letting this truck go and im definitely keeping it until im dead so why not rubicon bite the bullet for it being more expensive and have something that I won't have second thoughts about in the long run.is spending another 6 to 10k worth the piece of mind? The more I rack my brain the more justifiable it is.

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I go back and forth myself between Sport S Max Tow and Rubicon. I always come back to the capabilities of the Rubi.
35s on a Sport S don't look quite right to me without a lift, and the Rubi is a bit higher than the Sport S as I recall.

Just my .02, good luck!

lppd45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon M/T, 1966 Deville convertible, 2013 Jetta TDI M/T, 2003 Road King, and 2016 CVO Street Glide
Occupation
Retired
6 speed. I have no regrets getting it over the auto.

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I go back and forth myself between Sport S Max Tow and Rubicon. I always come back to the capabilities of the Rubi.
35s on a Sport S don't look quite right to me without a lift, and the Rubi is a bit higher than the Sport S as I recall.

Just my .02, good luck!
Rubicon already has bigger tires high fender flairs no stupid air dams takes a hit in payload but has 500 more towing 6 speed wise. I feel its the best bet if your buying and don't plan on modding alot. Sport s or base sport i see myself spending just as much making it almost the same as a rubicon but I get more if I buy outright with the rubicon. Plus i don't have all that time on my hands to mod like I use to

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
If you are 100% positive you won't go bigger than 35s, Mojave or Rubicon make sense. If you might go to 37s, you are looking at a regear on all of them. I went Willys and took the free money. Lift, tires and a regear are coming soon.

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
If you are 100% positive you won't go bigger than 35s, Mojave or Rubicon make sense. If you might go to 37s, you are looking at a regear on all of them. I went Willys and took the free money. Lift, tires and a regear are coming soon.
I don't plan on too much horrible terrain. Im in alabama so its mostly dirt l
Roads logging trails hunting mud ect. 37s would be overkill i think for me. 35s with a Mopar 2inch lift will probably be where I go. Don't plan on taking an expensive truck anywhere that it might be a piece of scrap when im done with it
Sponsored