Sponsored

Help picking trim level (Edit: Altitude NOT available with manual tranny)

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys, 2015 JK Willys, 2001 Ram 2500
Occupation
Active Duty
Hello everyone, the time is nearing where I'll be ordering my Gladiator! I'll be ordering through Gupton thanks to all of the feedback and help from this forum. What I'm struggling with is choosing between the base Willys and the Sport Altitude package. Part of me really wants to "K.I.S.S." like my current Jeep JK with manual windows and locks as I feel it'll be more dependable in the long run. But then the other part of me kind of wants the convenience of electronic windows and locks due to it being a 4 door.

Do any of you have any input on the electronic reliability between the base trim level vs others? I've read about many of the auxiliary battery issues around here and wonder if all of the electronic nanny stuff associated with the electric windows/locks/mirrors/automatic transmission/auto park/etc. is associated with that compared to the base sport with manual everything. I've also read about some issues with the automatic climate control, but haven't heard about any issues with the standard climate control (i.e. not automatic).

I know this is more of a personal decision, but I've been going back and forth for quite a while trying to decide which trim package I should get. Plus the new Sport Altitude package seems to be a winner in the looks and value department.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I can't really provide input in regards to reliability, I just prefer to follow the KISS method, as you referred. For that, Willys Sport is the cheaper version of the Willys trim with the manual stuff standard if you end up going that route.

It's really just a preference, I personally don't mind cranking the windows or locking manually.

That and I thought it was cool that you could actually still order the manual stuff in 2022.

TotallyReasonable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JT Willys
I had a sport JKU before my JT, manual windows and locks with soft top. It was great for just me, and I liked to utilitarian aspect of it. With my JT I have the Willys with the amenities like power locks, windows and a hard top, and the first time I used the power windows I giggled like a little girl. Those creature comforts plus the updated interior features like carplay really made the swap from JKU to JT feel like a gigantic upgrade

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
While I understand wanting fewer wires, I haven't had manual windows and locks since my '90 Commanche, and I have NEVER had a failure related to power windows, door locks, or Auto Climate control.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
In 20+ years of driving with 10+ vehicles, I’ve had one power window failure. It happens, but it’s so rare (mine was on a ~13 year old vehicle) that I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

If you want manual windows though, you do you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Medical_Bartender

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Active Duty
Found out that you CANNOT get the Altitude package with a manual transmission so that pretty much sealed the deal against the Altitude. :/

Ended up going with a base Willys. I might add power locks after the fact if it's completely annoying, but I think it'll be just fine.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Why can't you get the altitude with the manual?

23T is the order code. They don't make order codes for things that don't exist.

That being said altitude is just an appearance package for the sport s that saves you $190, the only unique thing it has is a shiny black grill (whereas on the sport s you'd have to get a matte black grill).
Ended up going with a base Willys. I might add power locks after the fact if it's completely annoying, but I think it'll be just fine.
Just so there's no confusion, a Willys has power locks and windows. A Willys Sport does not. This makes the term "base Willys" rather confusing and it should probably be avoided.

OP
OP
Medical_Bartender

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Active Duty

That being said altitude is just an appearance package for the sport s that saves you $190, the only unique thing it has is a shiny black grill (whereas on the sport s you'd have to get a matte black grill).

Just so there's no confusion, a Willys has power locks and windows. A Willys Sport does not. This makes the term "base Willys" rather confusing and it should probably be avoided.
I am not sure why. I wanted the black trim pieces the Willys has but also wanted the niceties the Sport S has, so the Altitude package seemed perfect until Gupton told me it cannot be ordered with a stick, automatic only. Gupton goes through a ton of orders so I have no reason to think they were jerking me around on this.

I ended up going with a Willys sport and will add LED headlights +/- power locks after the fact as those are the only options I really care about. The price jump from a Willys sport to Willys for the options I was looking at was ~5k which made zero sense to me for just power locks/windows and the LED headlight & fog package.

Just for anyone wondering why I'm picky about wanting manual windows:

1. I enjoy the simplicity. My current JK has manual everything and don't mind it, granted it's a 2 door.

2. Once I DD this rig for the next 8 years or so I'm planning to (somehow) put the 5.9 cummins from my 2001 Dodge in this gladiator. Whether that be swap the gladiator body onto a 3/4 ton frame, strengthen the sh!t out of the gladiator frame, or go custom remains to be seen. Either way I wanted to ensure the doors are usable, hence the manual windows/locks.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

I would imagine it is a part constraint for the Altitude and the dealer cannot at this time input an order regardless of what the order guide and the builder on the Jeep.com website says.

There is a thread from back in January on the Altitude of people not being able to order either with MAX TOW or cold weather package and it was the same thing of being a parts constraint at the factory for that model and those options.
Sponsored