Sponsored

Help a newbie out with a winch question - which one?

Winch Choice for a newbie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Plenty of other times to use a winch - times maybe you didn't or can't plan on - and maybe lifting a 150 pound winch in and out of a receiver isn't your thing and cabling it up.
I used mine to help a neighbor pull a generator onto a concrete slab.
Another time a driver had already gotten help, but I was seconds from being where a car needed pulled back onto the road this past winter (actually, more than once, it was a nasty winter, road-wise).
Storage, getting it out of the back and setting it in place when your Jeep may not be in the best of positions to be messing with such things, in the water or mud - fumbling around to set a winch in place? Hard enough to walk in some of that muck without 100 extra mounds in your hands.
It's called being prepared and since the truck is in a garage most of the time, out of the SUN, and because the bumper actually keeps the sun off all except the very very end (and if I put my flip-up license plate bracket in place, that won't even be exposed) there will be little difference in rope life, frankly. They also make winch covers, etc.
My truck's box is for hauling payload, not the winch and other stuff "just in case".
It's always ready in case someone ELSE needs help, or if I at the last minute decide to get out and about a bit - off the beaten path.
So I'm headed to CO for a car show, do I leave the winch at home since I won't be in the mud or trails and so it won't be taking up payload or SPACE in that small box, or have it up front always ready (and saving my back from lugging it around "just in case")
I think you are missing the point, I did say mount the winch when you are headed out on an adventure, what's the point of just throwing it the back and installing it when you are stuck?

It takes less then 10 minutes to slide a carrier into a receiver and click the power leads together....

150lb winch, you must be talking about a 16,000 lb flat bed winch. Last I checked my 9000 lb warn with a steel long lead is closer to 70 probably less.

Not sure what others do but I have a tool trunk that lives in the back of the jeep which has a come along winch as a back up, and 30 foot tow strap, not to mention a highlift jack mounted to the jeep that can also be used as a winch. Plenty of options for the that didn't plan it situation. Plus all of those except the Hi lift are also out of the weather and away from sticky fingers. So I still maintain my stance what's the point of permeant winch mount when you are just going to walmart. Seems like it becomes more a lifestyle statement you need to show others.

I have used mine to pull a 800lb welding table onto my trailer, and when i was done using it i put it away and ready for the next time.

My point is a lot of people just throw money around cause they don't know any better, before jumping into any big purchases go do some wheelin first with a local club and get a flavor of what you need and want to do. I have done plenty of stuff and about the only time I really needed a winch was when I needed to drag a log out of a camping spot so I could get my jeep in.

4wd and lockers or limited slip gets you a lot farther then a winch.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is about 80-85 pounds depending on who's number you look at, then you have the platform or carrier, so it's probably close to 100 total in reality. That's still a lot to mess with and store in the garage when it's right there in the front of the truck at all times. Front receivers normally max out at 9000 straight pull unless you have a bumper with a built-in receiver - and so far I've never cared for the looks of those. So there's that, too. I don't want it to look like a panzer.
If they made the Jeep steel bumper with a receiver, then maybe.

I want mine ready to go through the winter - you never know, where I live. Not necessarily for me, but for others, or just in case for me, as well. In that case it would live on the front of the truck November through February anyway - 1/3 of the year.

Sounds to me like you are against what most people have done with winches - mount them in their bumper, just because you are judging them for the reasons they did it. Why not judge them for buying a Rubicon to begin with? Isn't that a "lifestyle" thing? Must they own it?? Or is it a personal choice you aren't going to like because of their reasoning?
You've made YOUR choice - others have made theirs and have their reasons..... and you are saying they are wrong because you do it differently and they can and should as well?

Your way is an option for sure - but to say it's better because of the reasoning..........

I prefer to not have to think about 1 more thing to be loaded up, to not have to store it in the garage, lift it off a shelf and put it on the truck to stick out there out front several inches - then never need to use it.
But I guess I am WRONG because my reasoning doesn't align with yours.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Must have hit a sort spot, I am being contrary to the permanent mount because that seems to be all that is generally talked about and suggested or offered by aftermarket.

It is good for folks to know what's out there, what the pro and cons are for different mounting options, and what best matches their intended use.

I am merely making an observation from where I stand that people go and throw a bunch of stuff on a jeep cause someone told them they need it or cause it looks cool when in fact it's never been used or a simpler cheaper option may exist for the folks that that aren't mud bogging or getting hung up on hill climbs or about to roll over.

People like gadgets, I get it and they can spend their money how they want, it just bugs me when I see something so kitted out and then hear nothing but whining when they are on a trail and oh no a branch scratched my truck.

Before covid and money in peoples pockets there was a reason there were tons of used winches for sale in my area, they were never used and just taking up space. Now with everyone wanting to conquer the outdoors you can't spit and not hit something with a winch, or traction boards or rooftop tent. There was a time when the only thing that had a winch was a old truck with dents and 35's and you can probably guess the dents are from really wheeling the poor thing.

It would be an interesting poll to see how many folk with JT's and winches have really needed or used them, this is just a guess but i would guess not many folks are brave enough to put their $50K truck into a situation where one is really needed..... I could be wrong....

Permeant mount:
Pro- it's always with you.
Pro-potentially stronger mounting to handle bigger pulls.
Pro-more manufactured options for bolt on ease.
Pro-looks cooler?
Con-only pulls from front (without complicated cabling, snatch blocks ect.)
Con-can be exposed to weather and dirt when not used, which will deteriorate line, electronics, hardware at a faster rate.
Con-higher probability of being stolen when in a populated area when not "wheelin" (unless you know how to weld and weld the nuts)

receiver mount:
Pro-flexible, can be installed front or back.
Pro-less weathering exposure, housed when not needed.
Pro-Less likely to be stolen when in populated area not "wheelin", can be stolen if not installed.
Pro-Can be used on other vehicles if wired.
Con-can be forgotten
Con-might be to heavy for some
Con-not always with you.
Con-potentially weaker mounting, thus reducing pull force of winch.
Con-limited availability of aftermarket options of front receivers.

I am sure there are more pros and con to both but that what i can think of right now.

now lets get back to talking about the virtues of wiper fluid............................
Sponsored