Sponsored

Help a newbie out with a winch question - which one?

Winch Choice for a newbie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Just my opinion here, but I don't get the guys that have permeant winch mounts and then daily drive the rigs, are you going to get stuck in the walmart parking lot? That is a lot of wear and tear on expensive tool that is rarely used. That is why I prefer cradle mount. It lives in the garage when not needed and on the jeep when off in the outback.

I am hoping as teh JT ages there will be more aftermarket bumpers with a 2" receiver integrated.

Once I get my JT I will be fabbing up a 2" receiver and plate, I can mount between the frame rails so I can continue to add and remove the winch as needed.
Well, I mean, not everyone can just whip out a custom fabricated frame mounted winch plate using a receiver hitch that's easy to remove and doesn't get in the way of anything else. So there's that to consider.
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Just my opinion here, but I don't get the guys that have permeant winch mounts and then daily drive the rigs, are you going to get stuck in the walmart parking lot? That is a lot of wear and tear on expensive tool that is rarely used. That is why I prefer cradle mount. It lives in the garage when not needed and on the jeep when off in the outback.

I am hoping as teh JT ages there will be more aftermarket bumpers with a 2" receiver integrated.

Once I get my JT I will be fabbing up a 2" receiver and plate, I can mount between the frame rails so I can continue to add and remove the winch as needed.
Nope but I have found some uses for it around my camp (LOL). What I would love to have is something all wired up and ready if I need to use it then can just drop it into the slot on the front bumper, plug it in and then its ready for action. But I also don't want a front bumper with a big hole in it but I guess there are plates to cover that up although I know the Arcus Bumper I am looking at does not have a plate cover option

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
and surface resistance

unnamed.jpg
ALOT of good info. Thanks! I wont hold it against you that your a Navy man. I hear 1400 sailors go out and 700 couples come back............Go Army Hooah!

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to all for the replies so far. Looks like the 10k syn is killing it in the poll.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
ALOT of good info. Thanks! I wont hold it against you that your a Navy man. I hear 1400 sailors go out and 700 couples come back............Go Army Hooah!
No problem, cub scouts need to feel special (Arn't Really Marine's Yet) lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem, cub scouts need to feel special (Arn't Really Marine's Yet) lol
lol. We do sometimes. All jokes aside I served with several great sailors. The electronic warfare guys who kitted our trucks in Iraq were top notch, as well as the seabees.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
lol. We do sometimes. All jokes aside I served with several great sailors. The electronic warfare guys who kitted our trucks in Iraq were top notch, as well as the seabees.
Nothing wrong with a little razzin now and then. I served with an Army component during an IA tour in Afghanistan. we are all on the same team, kinda like brothers its ok for me to poke fun, but your enemy is my enemy ect.

good luck finding a winch that suites your needs, also as it was mentioned earlier in the thread, traction boards are also a good thing to have, in many cases can save you from having to winch out, is great if you are alone anyway and saves time.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I would vote 12k Warn.
I like to have more then I need when it comes to recovery.

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing wrong with a little razzin now and then.
The day the branches stop razzing one another is the day I pack up for good and go live in the woods.

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
If your going to be by yourself, you may want a setup in a cradle you can move from the front to the back. Are you going to always want to pull trough or pull back out...? (assuming you have a 2" receiver on the back)
They make extensions for the power to reach the battery from the back, you can get a cradle at harbor freight.

https://tuffstuff4x4.com/products/t...ch-wiring-kit-w-quick-disconnect-plug-2-gauge

They make a front receiver:
https://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2020_Jeep_Gladiator.htm?&Redirect=8

Note the restrictions:
  • 500 lbs Vert Load
  • 9000 lbs Line Pull
so you are limited to straight pulls for full power.

Gives you a lot of flexibility...

Sponsored

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your going to be by yourself, you may want a setup in a cradle you can move from the front to the back. Are you going to always want to pull trough or pull back out...? (assuming you have a 2" receiver on the back)
They make extensions for the power to reach the battery from the back, you can get a cradle at harbor freight.

https://tuffstuff4x4.com/products/t...ch-wiring-kit-w-quick-disconnect-plug-2-gauge

They make a front receiver:
https://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2020_Jeep_Gladiator.htm?&Redirect=8

Note the restrictions:
  • 500 lbs Vert Load
  • 9000 lbs Line Pull
so you are limited to straight pulls for full power.

Gives you a lot of flexibility...
Definitely something ill consider. I do have tow package. I would imagine that would make it so you had to ditch the front skid plate. A give and take there for sure.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
My Smittybilt Gen2 10k steel cable winch with a $100 synthetic line winch rope from amazon got a 4Runner (lifted, 35" tires, armored, etc) frame deep in mud, facing down-hill (probably 10-degrees) out (pulling up-hill). Needed a snatchblock to get the right angle. 2 rigs with Warn winches failed (one of the warn winches failed)

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Dave and Derek, thank you for your service!!

Synthetic is the way to go for safety. I have seen too many cables and chains break, hands sliced on broken strands etc.. Get a winch cover and lead wraps for the first x feet and to use for protection against abrasion and protect against UV.
I bought an EVO 12S from Northern Tool. The 12 has less of an amperage draw. Sometimes you can buy the steel cable cheap enough to buy the synthetic line separate and be ahead of the game. Went with the Warn mounting plate, I like the way it incorporates the fairlead mount, and just modified the plastic bumper.
Smittybuilt etc. get good reviews and often better than Warn, probably all coming out of the same factory. I watched the sales etc. and for almost the same price, bought the brand name.
You definitely want one with an attached controller, not quite as convenient but more convenient than a cordless remote that does not work.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Plenty of other times to use a winch - times maybe you didn't or can't plan on - and maybe lifting a 150 pound winch in and out of a receiver isn't your thing and cabling it up.
I used mine to help a neighbor pull a generator onto a concrete slab.
Another time a driver had already gotten help, but I was seconds from being where a car needed pulled back onto the road this past winter (actually, more than once, it was a nasty winter, road-wise).
Storage, getting it out of the back and setting it in place when your Jeep may not be in the best of positions to be messing with such things, in the water or mud - fumbling around to set a winch in place? Hard enough to walk in some of that muck without 100 extra mounds in your hands.
It's called being prepared and since the truck is in a garage most of the time, out of the SUN, and because the bumper actually keeps the sun off all except the very very end (and if I put my flip-up license plate bracket in place, that won't even be exposed) there will be little difference in rope life, frankly. They also make winch covers, etc.
My truck's box is for hauling payload, not the winch and other stuff "just in case".
It's always ready in case someone ELSE needs help, or if I at the last minute decide to get out and about a bit - off the beaten path.
So I'm headed to CO for a car show, do I leave the winch at home since I won't be in the mud or trails and so it won't be taking up payload or SPACE in that small box, or have it up front always ready (and saving my back from lugging it around "just in case")
Sponsored