Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
a few tips,
Everything is trying to kill you.

Everything is sharp or has spines, lot stuff stuff has poison, plants animal ect.. the sun has a laser beam intensity. When it rains flash flooding happens. Basically respect mother nature and don't think you will conquer it. Look twice before you go marching into dark places or dense rocks or shrubs.

in a month or so there should still be monsoon going on. if you see dark rain clouds on the horizon, don't go exploring slot canyons that day. Pay attention to local weather forecasts.

Get yourself a way to inflate your tires and a tire plug (tire worms) kit. Make sure to have some way to provide shade for yourself and family, there aren't many trees to provide cover. I have a pop up gazebo in the back of my truck.

Basically just be smart and have fun, the desert is a beautify place.
YES! My friend has a big air compressor and so do I. I keep a patch kit in the truck I may grab spare valve step repair kits also. Im a weather bug and try and watch it very closely. Ill have my middle daughter also keep an eye on that. (im big on giving kids tasks and things to do). I have a 270 awning also. Flash floods are a concern but we will try and be vigilant.
Sponsored

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I know 10 days isn't a lot for covering that much ground, but if you have time consider Rimrocker. Great way to go from Moab to Southwestern Colorado. The San Juans are a great place for epic views. Rimrocker is a fun trail with plenty of camping spots.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I know 10 days isn't a lot for covering that much ground, but if you have time consider Rimrocker. Great way to go from Moab to Southwestern Colorado. The San Juans are a great place for epic views. Rimrocker is a fun trail with plenty of camping spots.
We just have to be selective, one of the vehicles is a jeep renegade. :fingerscrossed:

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
YES! My friend has a big air compressor and so do I. I keep a patch kit in the truck I may grab spare valve step repair kits also. Im a weather bug and try and watch it very closely. Ill have my middle daughter also keep an eye on that. (im big on giving kids tasks and things to do). I have a 270 awning also. Flash floods are a concern but we will try and be vigilant.
the flash floods are a issue but the more people get hurt or killed trying to cross a flooded road. be ware of fast moving water before trying to cross.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
passed along the willow springs stuff, thats perfect!
It's Velociraptor State Park now and costs $15/night when it used to be free dispersed, but is still awesome

Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
the flash floods are a issue but the more people get hurt or killed trying to cross a flooded road. be ware of fast moving water before trying to cross.
to hell with that. not interested in crossing swift water at all.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
cant find Velociraptor State Park- could it be utahraptor state park?
Yes, that's what it is, sorry

There are fossilized dinosaur tracks as well to check out there

That's also the backway into Arches to get you past the line and avoid the lottery system. JT can make it, Renegade might be tough

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Like others have said, water, water, water. We did White Rim on motorcycles, and took probably twice as much fluids as we would of on a similar trip in Washington. Still didn't have enough, that was mid April.

As far as elevation goes, I snow board at Mt Hood Meadows and notice the thinner air more there than I did on either of our trips to Moab. But locally we start at 100 ft and then climb to 6500 or so at the top of the lifts.

Moab, you go from 4k to 7k or so. But I guess it could be relative to what your used to. I also hit the cardio for several months before we went to Moab.

Good luck and have fun.

Sponsored

Tank555

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Also Drone flight, I know basically no state park without a permit but ill just pass worrying about it and not fly there. I do my best to follow the rules (working on 107 as I type this).
It is illegal to fly in a (most) state or federal park, period. I don't believe you can fly in them unless that rule has changed recently. However, the rule use to be that you can't take off or land from a state/federal park. So, if you have a map system that shows the boundaries, you can take off and land outside of the park.

As far as your other questions, everyone has a lot of great ideas and suggestions, I really don't have much to add. Just be careful, and have fun, it sounds like an epic trip!! Let all of us know when you post content.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
It is illegal to fly in a (most) state or federal park, period. I don't believe you can fly in them unless that rule has changed recently. However, the rule use to be that you can't take off or land from a state/federal park. So, if you have a map system that shows the boundaries, you can take off and land outside of the park.

As far as your other questions, everyone has a lot of great ideas and suggestions, I really don't have much to add. Just be careful, and have fun, it sounds like an epic trip!! Let all of us know when you post content.
Right state park is something I'm going to skip. Mostly don't plan on flying super high just those cool trailing shots and scenery itself for flavor. :)

RedChili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
... the sun has a laser beam intensity.
Want to emphasize this point. The UV index, when high, can and will make you miserable without shade. Much different than the heat index that humidity brings, but the UV, especially at higher altitudes, sucks as much out of you as high humidity can. If you are going to be out and about exploring (outside of the jeeps) bring loose fitting clothing that covers to protects from the sun...cotton (or tech fabric for hot weather)long sleeve t-shirts, wide brimmed hats, even loose pants. Use extra water to cool them down and let evaporation do its thing. Dry desert air can evaporate sweat quickly, so damp clothing can help keep cool via evaporation.

Have a great trip!

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Everyone has put great advice in here thus far. I consider southern Utah my back yard and something to keep in mind will be your fluid temps.

You can be on steep inclines in heat of 110+ degrees for miles. If you can avoid traveling in the middle of the day, meaning leave early and settle in by 4pm-5pm, you’ll be missing most of that 4-8pm peak sun and heat time when it is the hottest (sunset is near 9pm in a lot of Utah).

Derating may not be an issue on the gas engine, but keep an eye on your trans and oil temps anyways, sometimes hitting the slow lane is the smart thing to do for longevity unless you want to change fluids more frequently.

Realistically you’ll be fine, if you drive every day only during peak heat, your Jeep can handle it, it’ll just be less comfortable for you as the a/c might have a hard time keeping up.

Have fun!

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
i know of some nice free places near Flagstaff Arizona for off the grid camping and its free. Most state land in AZ is free camping up top 14 days but its off the grid nothing land.
Sponsored