TBuck

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave, 2016 Grand Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
After reading these forum posts for the last few months, I was fully expecting my Mojave to wander on the highway. The Mojave is my first Jeep and first truck... coming from a Chrysler 300. I'm not sure what I'm experiencing on the road, but it feels like the truck gets blown around a lot. Maybe I'm just not used to driving a truck, but every time a car passes by it feels unstable. Is this normal, or perhaps this is related to the steering issue. I checked the PSI and the 33" tires are running at about 42. Maybe I'm just used to driving a car?
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Pressure on 33 tires is supposed to be 37-38 PSI ... Your pressure is too high ...

That being said, you probably do have the steering issue ... Have your dealer replace the gear under warranty ...

I have the same truck and the same issues ... You should be fine with proper pressure and warranty part ...

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Lower the pressure in the tires and figure out what the correct pressure is by doing the chalk test (google if you don't know).

The Gladiator, like other Jeeps, is a brick on wheels. Crosswinds will do that. It could be a steering issue, but I would only agree if this is happening on roads besides the highway/at all times not just when other cars pass.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Jeeps naturally move around due to wind more than a sedan will, that's one of the things to get used to. Your pressure is high which will make that worse. They feel more wander-y even when set up correctly than any other car. Hard to say if you have a mechanical problem since you aren't used to it - I have owned a Jeep in the past and it took a little while to get used to my Gladiator coming from a hot hatch with darty steering. I thought I might need and adjustment but driving it more it tracks and steers fine, I just wasn't used to it. The larger tires tend to follow road grooves and crowns more too

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
First, you have overinflated tires, so it's going to be goosey.

Second, you have a solid front axle instead of independent suspension, so you're going to feel every dip, hump, hole, bump in the road.

Third, yes, a truck is more affected by any type of wind, especially this rolling brick. So when a vehicle passes you or you pass them, the change in the airflow is going to be apparent to you.

Let the air out of your tires. Google the chalk test and perform it. Each vehicle is a little different so the results will be different. But if you're above 38 psi you're definitely getting some bounce which makes you unstable.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I checked the PSI and the 33" tires are running at about 42.
That's insanely high. I run 35, and a chalk test shows that's about right or maybe 1 PSI high.

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
What others have said, drop your tire pressures.

Having said that, I set mine at 35 with the MTs and it was much better than the 40 something from the dealer. The Jeep still doesn't inspire confidence over 65mph. Its not loose, it doesn't wander, it goes in the direction I point it, but it takes a lot more attention than my JKU with 3" lift and 37s did.

I don't know how to explain it other than it doesn't inspire confidence at higher speeds.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
The Jeep still doesn't inspire confidence over 65mph. Its not loose, it doesn't wander, it goes in the direction I point it, but it takes a lot more attention than my JKU with 3" lift and 37s did.
Woah, that is very weird. Maybe the steering box thing people talk about? I had a JKUR with a 3.5 lift and 35s. I can drive the JT *much* faster. In fact, at 85 I just thought "this isn't smart" but I didn't feel like it was unsafe. A Jeep friend asked me if something was wrong on the way home from a wheeling trip "because you were driving so fast." I'm known as a slow granny driver. But the JT is very confident in hills and turns at high speed. The JK, no way. And he was in a stock JKUR.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I've driven sedans all my life and it took a little getting used to.

First off, though, don't feel at all bad about having the tires overinflated. It seems every dealer does this, despite supposedly looking over every detail before letting you drive off. I'm not sure what the excuse is - the correct pressure is printed on the sticker and attached to the door frame of every vehicle sold in America. Forgive me (and everyone else) for not immediately checking the pressure on the brand new tires, but now I know :D

I'm not sure if it's the solid axle vs. independent suspension, or if it's the recirculating ball vs. rack and pinion but there's a distinct difference in how I hold the wheel / make minor corrections. With IFS & rack and pinion I could pretty much let go of the the wheel and it'll track straight, and I can keep it steady with one finger. But with the solid front axle and recirculating ball, I have to sort of "hold on loosely" and just let my hands make the necessary minor adjustments.

I know it's a brick on wheels but when you strap a couple 12' kayaks onto the roof of a sedan it becomes a sailboat on wheels. I can tell the difference in getting blown around vs. reaction to the pavement.

Ozarkgolfer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
I'm running 33x12.5x18 KO2's LT load range E (they came with the truck) with no lift. It also came with tires inflated at 34psi cold and felt kinda floaty/spongy. I've done the chalk test and ended up with 42psi cold and the truck is transformed. She feels very balanced. I also had a little rub at full lock at 34psi that I don't have at 42psi. I also don't seem to have the wanders or play in the steering. I'm also not correcting the steering on the highway.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TBuck

TBuck

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave, 2016 Grand Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
I will definitely try the chalk test to see what's ideal. I know that living in the Florida heat is going to give me higher PSI readings than most of you. I think PSI goes up +1 per 10 degrees.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I will definitely try the chalk test to see what's ideal. I know that living in the Florida heat is going to give me higher PSI readings than most of you. I think PSI goes up +1 per 10 degrees.
I live in AZ, it's 20 degrees hotter here. The pressure will vary by heat, but should be set to the "cold" temp for the climate. So I have to reset multiple times per year. For you, probably twice a year. But no matter what, the "cold" (before driving) temp should stay about the same. As it cools off, I will have to add PSI. Also, my in-the-sun PSI is 2-3 higher than in full shade. I shoot for 35 in the shade in the morning. It goes up during the day, but chalk test is still good. Rubber gets softer and squishier, higher PSI compensates.
Sponsored