Sponsored

Hinge Corrosion - is it a think on the Gladiator too? Anything else?

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Freedom... looking at a Gladiator...
Doesn't appear as much information here about the hinge paint peeling off... is it just as common on the Gladiator as it is on the JL? Or are fewer Gladiators sold so fewer reports?
Sponsored

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Doesn't appear as much information here about the hinge paint peeling off... is it just as common on the Gladiator as it is on the JL? Or are fewer Gladiators sold so fewer reports?
I haven't seen a single thread on corrosion yet. Crossing my fingers.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Are you taking the actual door hinges that the are corroding or just the door checks?

I've seen a few people asking about the door checks and mine are corroding slightly. My take is that they are a moving part (in and out of the check body everytime the door opens)...so the paint will wear. Could they have used a better coating, probably. But it doesn't effect function

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Freedom... looking at a Gladiator...
The actual paint on and around the hinges - peels off in sheets and/or blisters.

Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Ugh. I was hopeful that it was only a JL thing... Grrrr.
Yeah, it's interesting that there isn't much here on the Gladiator Forum about hinge / door corrosion, but it's like a rash all over the JL forums. Since the JL and JT share doors (and I'm assuming the same paint process), it makes sense that they would have the same issues.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, it's interesting that there isn't much here on the Gladiator Forum about hinge / door corrosion, but it's like a rash all over the JL forums. Since the JL and JT share doors (and I'm assuming the same paint process), it makes sense that they would have the same issues.
JL has had a two model year jump start and sells about 3X over the Gladiator. There is going to be a bigger pool of complaints with the JL.

Fred OIIIIO

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Tech
Aloha,

Unfortunately, the bubbling of the paint has been a problem with the 2020 Jeep Gladiators. My paint issues on my 2020 JT with 23k miles just came about. The bubbling of the paint can be found on my hood along with the door hinges where they meet the body. I have received two paint estimates and they quoted Jeep ~$12,000 to paint the truck. I love the truck but after repainting I have to sell the truck. I will wait for the 392 TJ if it comes out. I am sorry that my first post on the forum is negative. I just want all JT owners to be aware of this paint issue.

Screenshot_20211229-053139_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20211229-053151_Gmail.jpg

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
If they repainted it (on their dime), why sell it?

The hinges won't be any less prone to peeling/flaking paint on the 392. It's been an issue since at least the TJ (circa 1997), maybe longer. The culprit is the exposed hinges, which are the first to be impacted by road debris. Luckily, the hinges are aluminum on JKs, JLs, and JTs, so they'll just form an initial layer of white aluminum oxide. I scraped the white corrosion off of the hinges on our JK, and painted over with touch up paint. But it's almost 6 years old, so definitely to be expected there. I have had small nicks and scrapes to my door hinges on the JT, but I've painted over it before any corrosion occurs.

The hood is a new one, though. Overall, peeling hood and body paint isn't an issue on jeeps. Just the hinges, due to their shape and protruding nature. Sounds like yours wasn't prepped well. I'm sure that happens sometimes.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Aloha,

Unfortunately, the bubbling of the paint has been a problem with the 2020 Jeep Gladiators. My paint issues on my 2020 JT with 23k miles just came about. The bubbling of the paint can be found on my hood along with the door hinges where they meet the body. I have received two paint estimates and they quoted Jeep ~$12,000 to paint the truck. I love the truck but after repainting I have to sell the truck. I will wait for the 392 TJ if it comes out. I am sorry that my first post on the forum is negative. I just want all JT owners to be aware of this paint issue.

Screenshot_20211229-053139_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20211229-053151_Gmail.jpg
Why would they paint the whole truck? A decent body shop can paint correct that for way less without painting the whole vehicle. Sounds like a racket out there in Hawaii for paint jobs.

Last edited:

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
If they repainted it (on their dime), why sell it?

The hinges won't be any less prone to peeling/flaking paint on the 392. It's been an issue since at least the TJ (circa 1997), maybe longer. The culprit is the exposed hinges, which are the first to be impacted by road debris. Luckily, the hinges are aluminum on JKs, JLs, and JTs, so they'll just form an initial layer of white aluminum oxide. I scraped the white corrosion off of the hinges on our JK, and painted over with touch up paint. But it's almost 6 years old, so definitely to be expected there. I have had small nicks and scrapes to my door hinges on the JT, but I've painted over it before any corrosion occurs.

The hood is a new one, though. Overall, peeling hood and body paint isn't an issue on jeeps. Just the hinges, due to their shape and protruding nature. Sounds like yours wasn't prepped well. I'm sure that happens sometimes.
Well, if you look at the picture that Fred posted, the corrosion is on the door and not the hinge.

Also, the hood corrosion is not new. I've seen several reports of it on the JL forums. I also remember seeing a TSB on aluminum corrosion which included hoods and doors.

Unfortunately, bubbling of aluminum hood and aluminum door paint is a fairly common issue as reported on the JL forum.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Well, if you look at the picture that Fred posted, the corrosion is on the door and not the hinge.

Also, the hood corrosion is not new. I've seen several reports of it on the JL forums. I also remember seeing a TSB on aluminum corrosion which included hoods and doors.

Unfortunately, bubbling of aluminum hood and aluminum door paint is a fairly common issue as reported on the JL forum.
Rubicon hoods are steel.
Sponsored

Last edited: