Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What about pine? Those things love to die for me. got 3 still standing ones I got to take down.
Depends on the soil and water - they tend to go down, deep, but can have lateral roots reaching out farther than the tree is tall, depending. I'd think those shouldn't be too bad.
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Depends on the soil and water - they tend to go down, deep, but can have lateral roots reaching out farther than the tree is tall, depending. I'd think those shouldn't be too bad.
Lots of hard red clay, lol. Water most of the year. I have had two rain storms where trees have been uprooted when that much water has fallen.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of hard red clay, lol. Water most of the year. I have had two rain storms where trees have been uprooted when that much water has fallen.
It's happened here in the past, too. When we bought this place there was a pear and a plum tree in the back yard, an ornamental tree out front and a sycamore type tree in the back yard. Since then, we lost all of those to rot at the ground level, and all of the box elder trees died and rotted.
Then a few years ago a massive drought about did some others in, and this year we had another drought and ended up running the well dry a couple of times.
The only trees left are those that can handle extremes well. Our soil is really crappy here. Can't get too many things to grow well although the maple trees do fine here as long as you protect the bark in late winter otherwise the sun shining on the south side while it's still cold causes bark split. We lost a 3" diameter maple I'd planted last year due to bark split thanks to the hot sun on a cold day.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I've used my "winches" to remove a damn pine tree that was left to grow 4 ft from the house I had in GA. Note that I said winches I ran lines up in tree set off at angles to keep it from falling on roof and to direct the fall line. I despise F###### pine trees. If ever cut another one I'll be doing the same thing if it's near anything I don't want to damage or not. Clearing out the back yard I had one "fall" against the direction it should have crushing chainlink fence. :headbang: The others ones was done with the dual winch method to control / direct the fall line. Climbing deer stand limbing up then tied off lines. A great reason for 2 Jeeps with winches.. :like:
Did I mention I hate F###### pine trees. :mad:
If I could ever found the contractor that planted or left a pine tree next to that house, water and sewer lines I would probably beat him halfway to death let him recover then do it again over and over.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Well I've used my "winches" to remove a damn pine tree that was left to grow 4 ft from the house I had in GA. Note that I said winches I ran lines up in tree set off at angles to keep it from falling on roof and to direct the fall line. I despise F###### pine trees. If ever cut another one I'll be doing the same thing if it's near anything I don't want to damage or not. Clearing out the back yard I had one "fall" against the direction it should have crushing chainlink fence. :headbang: The others ones was done with the dual winch method to control / direct the fall line. Climbing deer stand limbing up then tied off lines. A great reason for 2 Jeeps with winches.. :like:
Did I mention I hate F###### pine trees. :mad:
If I could ever found the contractor that planted or left a pine tree next to that house, water and sewer lines I would probably beat him halfway to death let him recover then do it again over and over.
My favorite part about pine trees is how they like to grow 80ft tall then decide to die randomly. Looks like I might need to offer to install a winch on my dad's jeep so I can borrow it and do what you did. Looks like a good idea

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Well I'm building a harness to attach to a winch for delivering babies. Hospital bills are just too much these days. I want to give people a more affordable option.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I need to get some stuff up into my wood shop and ran across this as an idea..........

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I need to get some stuff up into my wood shop and ran across this as an idea..........

I did not appreciate red green until I got older. It's pretty great.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I did not appreciate red green until I got older. It's pretty great.
I found it interesting that my oldest son, now about 38, was into Red Green when he was a teen.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Hurricane inbound, falling some trees that lean towards the house. Winch makes a great insurance policy.

078A5856-476F-4F8B-976B-136EA65DC2B8.jpeg
Hi NOOB, You obviously have used that rigging without problems but you might want to reconsider connecting the soft shackle directly to the snatch block. Some snatch blocks have sharp edges and, if it cuts the soft shackle, the winch rope/cable makes for a great slingshot. Just something to think about.

Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I found it interesting that my oldest son, now about 38, was into Red Green when he was a teen.
Im a few years younger than him and also really liked that show when I was a kid.

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
Hi NOOB, You obviously have used that rigging without problems but you might want to reconsider connecting the soft shackle directly to the snatch block. Some snatch blocks have sharp edges and, if it cuts the soft shackle, the winch rope/cable makes for a great slingshot. Just something to think about.

Later,
Johnny
The SafeXtract pulley block (and all of their equipment) is actually designed to be used with their soft shackles.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I am still working on getting a winch for my Mojave, but on the Rubicon, I’ve used the winch to pull fence posts out of the ground when I took down a fence...

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I once winched a 1200 # safe from a utility trailer up onto the back deck of a house so it could be moved inside. (Yes, the safe was being delivered, not removed 😁). Sketchy as frig but went according to plan. Years later, the safe WAS removed using a tractor (Less sketchy).