Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Winch practice or landscaping!!! LOL....
image1.JPG
Brilliant!

*don't they also say with a new winch to run the line out, put some tension on it, and wind it back in so it's in under some tension and not wound loose? Looks like you are doing it.

I can't imagine moving those rocks any other way, really. What back-breakers those are.
The cardboard to keep from messing up that sidewalk. Good thinking.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Used to pretty routinely use it to pull trees/shrubs - often for family/friends or friends of family/friends. After 26 years of owning winches I’ve pretty much dragged, pulled, broke everything - trees/shrubs, fences, Move a small barn, shed, pull down a garage, lift motors, transmissions, pull the bed off a truck, etc etc . RequestS have declined sharply since my brother got a John Deere tractor with a loader,’ bucket, forks, and backhoe. I did find that putting the Winch line over an old spare tire/wheel helps pull the roots of f trees/shrubs up like a pulley wheel/fulcrum point. Sorry no pics Of this. I do have a friend with a farm and standing request to pull some trees/brush so maybe I’ll take some pics when this work actually gets done.
So you are saying lay the tire down, winch line over it, and as the line pulls back, it lifts up on the far edge of the spare, raising it upright, and providing "lift" at the same time?
Interesting idea.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So you are saying lay the tire down, winch line over it, and as the line pulls back, it lifts up on the far edge of the spare, raising it upright, and providing "lift" at the same time?
Interesting idea.
Yeah. Old time family friend showed me this years ago and it works pretty well.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Old time family friend showed me this years ago and it works pretty well.
Not mine and winch but Here is the basic concept on YouTube

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
After a little looking around there are quite a few other videos out there on this spare tire stump pulling thing. It is pretty surprising to me just how large some of the stumps are that they are pulling this way. Wondering how old some of these stumps are. If you had enough to pull the cost of grinding could quickly pay for a new winch.

Sponsored

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
Pulling stumps, raising the riding mower for a quick blade sharpen while on the deck, rigging for tree cutting, bending aluminum rails back on a diving board, hoisting a deer to be cleaned, and all things automotive recovery after that.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Used mine to pull out trees and bushes in my yard a few times. Haven't used the Badlands Apex yet but I used the Badlands on my JKU to do it.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
After a little looking around there are quite a few other videos out there on this spare tire stump pulling thing. It is pretty surprising to me just how large some of the stumps are that they are pulling this way. Wondering how old some of these stumps are. If you had enough to pull the cost of grinding could quickly pay for a new winch.
Sounds like something I told my wife once ....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I zip into town and rent a stump grinder. I NEVER pay the hundreds per stump to have anyone else do it. I saved over a grand 2 years ago renting a grinder and doing my own.
Even a JT with winch could have never pulled the stumps of some of those trees. They were huge. 2 people could not get their arms wrapped around the trunks of a couple of them. I'm talking decades old mature ash and box elder, etc.
One of my wife's quilting friends lost trees to the derecho we had here and her son has a big Ram truck with winch - wasn't able to pull one of the stumps. Had to spend hours chopping and cutting and digging before they got it pulled out.
Not sure what you guys have for trees - but not even an Apex 12000 pound winch could pull these. They'd rip the frame apart first. Maybe your tree stumps are not less than a year old and have some rot or your soil isn't like ours here. We can't even use power augers/post hole diggers here the soil is so heavy.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Pulling stumps, raising the riding mower for a quick blade sharpen while on the deck, rigging for tree cutting, bending aluminum rails back on a diving board, hoisting a deer to be cleaned, and all things automotive recovery after that.
I pull a pin on the front of the deck, pivot out a link, move a latch on the back of the deck, get on the lawn tractor and drive off the deck, then use a boat winch to tip the deck up so I can remove the blades for sharpening. I trust nothing while doing that sort of work. And there's three blades under there to deal with.
When done, I lower the boat winch to set the deck back down, I drive over the deck, put the front latch back in place, raise the deck and drive away.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I zip into town and rent a stump grinder. I NEVER pay the hundreds per stump to have anyone else do it. I saved over a grand 2 years ago renting a grinder and doing my own.
Even a JT with winch could have never pulled the stumps of some of those trees. They were huge. 2 people could not get their arms wrapped around the trunks of a couple of them. I'm talking decades old mature ash and box elder, etc.
One of my wife's quilting friends lost trees to the derecho we had here and her son has a big Ram truck with winch - wasn't able to pull one of the stumps. Had to spend hours chopping and cutting and digging before they got it pulled out.
Not sure what you guys have for trees - but not even an Apex 12000 pound winch could pull these. They'd rip the frame apart first. Maybe your tree stumps are not less than a year old and have some rot or your soil isn't like ours here. We can't even use power augers/post hole diggers here the soil is so heavy.
I have had some luck with tree stumps it honestly just depends. But I agree I have found several small ones even that won't budge with the winch even if they are pretty rotted out, the roots just run too deep.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
My funniest use of the winch would be when I was using my pole saw to cut a pretty sizable branch down. Well saw got stuck in the branch.... Hooked the winch to the branch to bend it down while I was holding the saw (wireless remote was amazing here).

I need to try the tire trick. I had some issues getting bushes that I think that will solve.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have had some luck with tree stumps it honestly just depends. But I agree I have found several small ones even that won't budge with the winch even if they are pretty rotted out, the roots just run too deep.
Depends on the tree for sure. My first wife's grandfather was an early settler in the Goodell, Iowa area. He had a lot of wooded acres along with his farm ground. I learned so much about trees and mushroom hunting and such from that man. He tought me what trees had roots that went deep instead of more horizintal, which ones had roots that ran almost straight out and seldom down and more. He could recognize various trees from many yards away, and he knew just how to dig some up for transplanting. Oak - mostly straight down, hackberry roots, very horizontal, seldom run deep but they run many yards away from the main trunk.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Depends on the tree for sure. My first wife's grandfather was an early settler in the Goodell, Iowa area. He had a lot of wooded acres along with his farm ground. I learned so much about trees and mushroom hunting and such from that man. He tought me what trees had roots that went deep instead of more horizintal, which ones had roots that ran almost straight out and seldom down and more. He could recognize various trees from many yards away, and he knew just how to dig some up for transplanting. Oak - mostly straight down, hackberry roots, very horizontal, seldom run deep but they run many yards away from the main trunk.
What about pine? Those things love to die for me. got 3 still standing ones I got to take down.
Sponsored