Sponsored

How much in taxes+registration renewal are you paying

sirphenergan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2018 Jeep Compass Limited, 2020 Sting-Gray Rubicon Gladiator
In North Carolina we pay 3% sales tax at the time of purchase, followed by annual inspection and registration based on the estimated value of the vehicle. Just got my bill in the mail and they’re estimating my JTR at $44,230 so $381.04 in county and city taxes, plus the inspection which is maybe $30. Luckily, this number goes down every year. Looking to move to SC where they pay a flat $300 at the time of sale with no inspections.
Sponsored

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
4% sales tax. Over $900 to register a $53k Rubicon. I thought the Jeep seats were comfortable but now that I've been gang raped by the state of Colorado my butt is a little sore.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
4% sales tax. Over $900 to register a $53k Rubicon. I thought the Jeep seats were comfortable but now that I've been gang raped by the state of Colorado my butt is a little sore.
Is THAT an ANNUAL fee? If so, I'll say OUCH!! That's gonna hurt. I thought our 400+ a year was a bit much.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is THAT an ANNUAL fee? If so, I'll say OUCH!! That's gonna hurt. I thought our 400+ a year was a bit much.
Yes it will go down with the taxable value of the vehicle but this is the registration/tag fee every year in this state. Highway robbery.

Let me tell you about the freeway expansion that they are building with our tax dollars but then will also charge us a toll to drive on... nevermind... thread derail.

Sponsored

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lord, I just went through the hypothetical calculation for my same truck in Los Angeles/Long Beach. total with 'use' tax is $5,600. Check it out:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCalculatorWeb/newVehicleFees.do

Commie-fornia FTW... They get you up front for the new vehicle purchase since people are leaving the state in droves...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Rav34653

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Vehicle Showcase
I hear that FL doesnt have taxes on their vehicles
Florida has a 6% sale tax on new vehicles, My tax obligation was $2760.00 all other charges from Doc fees to Registration to title and ect. fees came in around $900.00

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Florida has a 6% sale tax on new vehicles, My tax obligation was $2760.00 all other charges from Doc fees to Registration to title and ect. fees came in around $900.00
Not that much different than what I paid in tax and fees in the end.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Right. But you dont pay taxes on them every year

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Right. But you dont pay taxes on them every year
What do you call the vehicle license fee?

Granted, it's DAMN CHEAP - the example below is one TENTH of what I pay - and my wife pays.
Between our two primary Jeep vehicles (my JT, her Grand Cherokee) we pay about $900/year license fees.
Add my car hauler fee, the Javelin, the SX4 and my 04 WJ - we pay a grand a year in vehicle registration fees.

If you are not considering the license fee a "tax" then most don't pay a "tax" each year.
The tax is more of a sales tax, the license fee is annual.
I consider the license fee a tax but that's just my take.

The base registration fee in Florida is determined by weight and the lowest fee is $5 (for a moped) and the highest is $1,300 (for a large semi) annually. To that base fee, an assortment of statutory fees and State Tax Collector fees are add. For an average sedan, a final renewal cost can be in the $47.50 range.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Delaware is a one time 1.5% registration tax minus trade in value. Then yearly registration and renewals are $40 a year after that. A lot better than the neighboring states around us.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Delaware is a one time 1.5% registration tax minus trade in value. Then yearly registration and renewals are $40 a year after that. A lot better than the neighboring states around us.
A lot better than most of the country!
But that begs the question - who pays for the roads, or how are they paid for, or are there any roads there?
Maybe taking care of 100 miles of highway is pretty cheap (J/K!)
Maybe the gas tax is 150%?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
A lot better than most of the country!
But that begs the question - who pays for the roads, or how are they paid for, or are there any roads there?
Maybe taking care of 100 miles of highway is pretty cheap (J/K!)
Maybe the gas tax is 150%?
Delaware is a small state. They survive mainly off of the Corporate 8.7% income tax rate they charge for Incorporation in Delaware. Many if not most of the major USA Corporations are incorporated in Delaware by paper due to the easy and favorable state incorporation laws.

We also have less than a million people with a 6.5% personal income tax rate but also have no sales tax and a very low property tax rate. Gas tax here is also cheaper than the surrounding states. When I moved from Texas for work in the Philly region, it made much more money sense to settle and live in Delaware than PA, NY, NJ or MD.
Sponsored