Sponsored

How much in taxes+registration renewal are you paying

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
The government needs their $$$. You fellas that pay higher annual registration enjoy lower gas prices. Gas price in PA is around $2.75 per gallon. About 40 cents of that is in essence a vehicle tax that goes to the state.Pay me now or pay me later but pay you will.

If you lease a vehicle in PA, lease tax is 9%
This is another reason I hate EV, there's no way for them to be taxed for road upkeep.
Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
What do you call the vehicle license fee?

Granted, it's DAMN CHEAP - the example below is one TENTH of what I pay - and my wife pays.
Between our two primary Jeep vehicles (my JT, her Grand Cherokee) we pay about $900/year license fees.
Add my car hauler fee, the Javelin, the SX4 and my 04 WJ - we pay a grand a year in vehicle registration fees.

If you are not considering the license fee a "tax" then most don't pay a "tax" each year.
The tax is more of a sales tax, the license fee is annual.
I consider the license fee a tax but that's just my take.

The base registration fee in Florida is determined by weight and the lowest fee is $5 (for a moped) and the highest is $1,300 (for a large semi) annually. To that base fee, an assortment of statutory fees and State Tax Collector fees are add. For an average sedan, a final renewal cost can be in the $47.50 range.
I’ll have to look back at my deal, but I think I paid about $3.5k to get it purchased, titled, registered, plated, etc. I’ve got a specialty plate that I transferred from a sold Jeep and should cost me about $70 each year to renew. So basically I pay a little bit beyond the normal sales tax at time of purchase and minimal for annual tag renewal.

And no income tax!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Delaware is a small state. They survive mainly off of the Corporate 8.7% income tax rate they charge for Incorporation in Delaware. Many if not most of the major USA Corporations are incorporated in Delaware by paper due to the easy and favorable state incorporation laws.

We also have less than a million people with a 6.5% personal income tax rate but also have no sales tax and a very low property tax rate. Gas tax here is also cheaper than the surrounding states. When I moved from Texas for work in the Philly region, it made much more money sense to settle and live in Delaware than PA, NY, NJ or MD.
I've noticed over the years that many companies incorporate there. Makes sense. The state has found a niche, a way to survive without saddling people heavily.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is another reason I hate EV, there's no way for them to be taxed for road upkeep.
License fee changes are being looked at here.......... a lot of folks are complaining about that and one plan is extra license fees to make up for lost gas tax for road upkeep. People are up in arms about the subsidies already given, then the free ride on the roads, too.

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
NY (Nassau County) - we pay 8.63% sales tax on the vehicle. Registration (license plate and title) is like $250 for a new registration and then costs about $250 every other year.

For leases sales tax is levied on the sum of the lease payments (up front) and any taxable incentives.

Sponsored

Rav34653

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Vehicle Showcase
Right. But you dont pay taxes on them every year
I thought we were talking SALES taxes, You don't sell your vehicle every year so if some state's are charging a Tax( or a fee) every year. I'm not familiar with that, I don't know what that tax would be called but it's not classified a sale tax. I have never lived in a State that taxed a vehicle every year, only on the initial purchase, after that its only registration fees paid yearly,

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Yes there is, some states are already doing it. They simply charge more annual fees to EVs. There are many ways to go about making up for not paying tax at a pump.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I thought we were talking SALES taxes, You don't sell your vehicle every year so if some state's are charging a Tax( or a fee) every year. I'm not familiar with that, I don't know what that tax would be called but it's not classified a sale tax. I have never lived in a State that taxed a vehicle every year, only on the initial purchase, after that its only registration fees paid yearly,
When I lived in Georgia we had to pay the annual ad valorem tax which was based off the state's valuation of the vehicle + the tag renewal. But they went away from this and now charge the taxes up front at the point of sale (well really when you went to register it the first time).

When I had my '65 Mustang in Atlanta, they valued the car at a few hundred bucks. Couldn't help but chuckle when it cost me like $26.83 to renew with $25 being the tag renewal and the $1.83 being the ad valorem tax.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I did say for renewals. As in annual costs mandated by state and local government

Daeyis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR 6spd
In my part of Phoenix 8.1% sales tax then the first year registration is around $800. My RAM was about the same price as my "to be built" Rubicon. Every year after is based on the States assigned value of the vehicle. Cost will go down maybe $50 next year. Oh and paying around $3 a gallon in phoenix.

Cottonwood/Sedona area is 9.9%. Lots of folks from California like to spend their time there raising costs.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
In my part of Phoenix 8.1% sales tax then the first year registration is around $800. My RAM was about the same price as my "to be built" Rubicon. Every year after is based on the States assigned value of the vehicle. Cost will go down maybe $50 next year. Oh and paying around $3 a gallon in phoenix.

Cottonwood/Sedona area is 9.9%. Lots of folks from California like to spend their time there raising costs.
Yeah, they hose you in Arizona. Flew in last year PHX to help my step daughter out with buying a used care and the registration and taxes were outrageous.

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr ,2020 jt gladiator
4% sales tax. Over $900 to register a $53k Rubicon. I thought the Jeep seats were comfortable but now that I've been gang raped by the state of Colorado my butt is a little sore.
Maine, you know, the way life should be ! 5.5% sales tax, $1400. Registration & excise tax, it goes down over time, my 2016 Rubi hardrock was 40 k when I purchased it, about $1k reg. & excuse tax , its down to to about $300 now. Gas is $2.49 !

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
Here in Province of Québec, Canada, the base annual licence/plate/registration fee (immatriculation) is about $70 to which you add a contribution of almost the same $70 amount to the “public insurance program for the victims of accidents”

I just received my renewal today and to the $140 we usually pay for each other family vehicle I got an extra “Luxury vehicle tax supplement” applied to the value of the car exceeding $40000!!!

So for example, we pay annually:

$140 for my daughter 2019 Golf GTI

$140 for my wife 2015 Jetta TDI

$420 ($140 + $280 luxury fee)

for my 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE

This luxury supplement will be added for the first 7 years of the Jeep... It make senses with the fact that if you can afford this kind of vehicle, you can contribute more to the public funds, but it’s funny to see how luxurious a Jeep Gladiator can be considered!!!

8896F9E4-057A-46B1-8DEA-F162FEB372E7.jpeg

Last edited: