First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Well I had a chance today to do our first real Highway drive. 400 miles down to our beach house in Hatteras NC. The road is mostly highway between 60 and 70 mph (usually run about 4 over)
Pulling into town here’s what I got...

Jeep Gladiator How to get 20mpg+ on 37’s/ECU basics 5/5 up @ 60-70mph with V6 3.6L 4F394980-8A91-4B68-A51E-0F26D940FB7A

This is a Stock Rubicon with an Alu-Cab canopy, LRA 17 gallon extra fuel tank which was full, and about 400 pounds of stuff along with my wife and myself..
Not bad....
Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
The wind is terrible on my run today. Its taking near constant steering input just to keep lane. Still over 20 at my halfway; the addition of the throttle body had helped hold a gear higher on 3 “marginal downshift” hills. 2 that needed 6th previously and one that needed 7th.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Reactions: N83
OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Man i knew today was gonna suck but damn.

-there was more traffic than ive seen since the start of “2 weeks to slow the curve” a year ago. I sat in rush hour traffic for about 20-25minutes as lights were backed up. The ess system sucks. Needs a bigger battery.

-i hit every light on a yellow. Every. Single. One. Every one getting me the longest stop the light could offer and a nice long fuel sucking pull back up to 55-65.

-the wind. Steady high winds, Gusts over 30knots. Dirt getting lifted and carried. Tons of rotor off of terrain. Flags at full stand. Multiple times i had the top of the steering wheel’s t-bar turned past the blinker stalk just to maintain my lane and not get blown into the next on over. Today was not ideal.

But, complaints be damned, the numbers are today’s numbers. Hoping for better this weekend when i run again.

200miles fuel stop to fuel stop. Went to the second click each time. Truck took 9.8 gallons at the fill up, display was 20.1, hand calc 20.4. Im about done doing hand calcs. Im always under 5% deviation one way or another. Load today was only 200-250lb.

85518B72-D586-4AC8-A637-BE3FD337164A.jpeg

Throttle body definitely made a difference. There were 5 hills i was expecting it go a gear lower than it actually did, so on marginal downshifts its able to keep a gear higher on some of them. Little bits of efficiency, all adding up. @troutfishingamerica

Im about out of mpg things to post. If being CONSISTENTLY over 20mpg with kids, luggage, tools, 4” lift(over rubicon height) and heavy ass Falken 37’s doesnt prove what im saying works, I dont know what does.

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired

-there was more traffic than ive seen since the start of “2 weeks to slow the curve” a year ago. I sat in rush hour traffic for about 20-25minutes as lights were backed up. The ess system sucks. Needs a bigger battery.

-i hit every light on a yellow. Every. Single. One. Every one getting me the longest stop the light could offer and a nice long fuel sucking pull back up to 55-65.

-the wind. Steady high winds, Gusts over 30knots. Dirt getting lifted and carried. Tons of rotor off of terrain. Flags at full stand. Multiple times i had the top of the steering wheel’s t-bar turned past the blinker stalk just to maintain my lane and not get blown into the next on over. Today was not ideal.

But, complaints be damned, the numbers are today’s numbers. Hoping for better this weekend when i run again.

200miles fuel stop to fuel stop. Went to the second click each time. Truck took 9.8 gallons at the fill up, display was 20.1, hand calc 20.4. Im about done doing hand calcs. Im always under 5% deviation one way or another. Load today was only 200-250lb.

85518B72-D586-4AC8-A637-BE3FD337164A.jpeg

Throttle body definitely made a difference. There were 5 hills i was expecting it go a gear lower than it actually did, so on marginal downshifts its able to keep a gear higher on some of them. Little bits of efficiency, all adding up. @troutfishingamerica

Im about out of mpg things to post. If being CONSISTENTLY over 20mpg with kids, luggage, tools, 4” lift(over rubicon height) and heavy ass Falken 37’s doesnt prove what im saying works, I dont know what does.
Must have missed it. Did you do something to the throttle body? I know you added cold air intake, but I missed any modification to the throttle body. Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Must have missed it. Did you do something to the throttle body? I know you added cold air intake, but I missed any modification to the throttle body. Thanks
Yeah. Just recently. FastMan 80mm ported throttlebody with butterfly bar mod.

8D700107-41D2-4F48-B4FE-23B90E53B989.jpeg

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Im curious to see your results. Im a sample size of one, but the first drive otherwise all stock took me from 18 to 21 on the same route, and ive posted a couple similar hand calcs.
I'll have to to dig up the page I wrote it down on or go add it all up again 😲 but I've got it wrote down all fuel added and mileage. Including towing but no notes on when. I know I need to change out air filter, I think I'm over 27000 miles now at about 13 .5 months. I posted it on one of the MPG threads on here too.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!

Jeep Gladiator How to get 20mpg+ on 37’s/ECU basics 5/5 up @ 60-70mph with V6 3.6L 8D700107-41D2-4F48-B4FE-23B90E53B989

Time Out! You sound like a the Division Commander's Driver complaining while he's on R&R! The tougher the exercise will let us better know how it will operate in the toughest conditions. Man-Up, Bubba...We need the Good, the Bad and the FUgly...that's all we expect...I mean, what are we paying you for (note: payment can be in the form of admiration, it doesn't have the be dollars).

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Time Out! You sound like a the Division Commander's Driver complaining while he's on R&R! The tougher the exercise will let us better know how it will operate in the toughest conditions. Man-Up, Bubba...We need the Good, the Bad and the FUgly...that's all we expect...I mean, what are we paying you for (note: payment can be in the form of admiration, it doesn't have the be dollars).
Hhahaha. All true. Today was by far the worst conditions ive done this in yet. No question. Still, wasnt far off the last run. 20.3 vs 20.4 today. That time was heavier load by a couple hundred pounds, less traffic, less wind. But no throttlebody.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Well I had a chance today to do our first real Highway drive. 400 miles down to our beach house in Hatteras NC. The road is mostly highway between 60 and 70 mph (usually run about 4 over)

4F394980-8A91-4B68-A51E-0F26D940FB7A.jpeg

This is a Stock Rubicon with an Alu-Cab canopy, LRA 17 gallon extra fuel tank which was full, and about 400 pounds of stuff along with my wife and myself..
Not bad....
Eddie, am also going with an Alucab Canopy Camper, but on a Rubi diesel and will be getting an aux tank. Continuing to follow you on various posts...learning from your lessons learned. Hopefully, Kurt P. can assist me with my diesel, when its time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation

Jeep Gladiator How to get 20mpg+ on 37’s/ECU basics 5/5 up @ 60-70mph with V6 3.6L 8D700107-41D2-4F48-B4FE-23B90E53B989

Not bad....
Thats great. I only saw that one time stock under an ideal day. Just curious- stock MT’s or AT’s?

Nick1941

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Great Results still @KurtP even if not ideal conditions. Shows us that it is real life driving! I average 20.5 on my stock sport s....

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Great Results still @KurtP even if not ideal conditions. Shows us that it is real life driving! I average 20.5 on my stock sport s....
Yeah man. I dont believe in cherry picking runs. I run it and post whatever falls. Always to the second pump click, etc. doing anything different doesnt help anyone. And honestly, the worst the day, the better the proofing, really.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Thats great. I only saw that one time stock under an ideal day. Just curious- stock MT’s or AT’s?
Kurt this is with the Falken AT’s. I did not want to get the MT’s.
I have been meaning to ask you is the mileage you’re shooting for with the Pulsar highway or combined/average driving? I understand that you are running larger tires and would expect that the stock tires would return better mileage.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Kurt this is with the Falken AT’s. I did not want to get the MT’s.
I have been meaning to ask you is the mileage you’re shooting for with the Pulsar highway or combined/average driving? I understand that you are running larger tires and would expect that the stock tires would return better mileage.
Yeah i think same size my vs at is worth about 2mpg.

I would consider it “combined but mostly highway”. On this route There is in out of towns, stop lights, some interstate, some highway with stoplights for cross traffic, at least one snack/bathroom break. I use this route for my test because i drive it exactly the same every time, so its a way of introducing a point of consistency to a very inconsistent process. This way ive been able to get a sense of what hills the truck struggles with and what the mileage is from driving the same route to see if things improve change to change.
Sponsored