Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports Tune claims 50HP gains (on E85) for V6 JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
That E85 bit is myth anyway. I
t doesn't damage engines. State vehicles are mandated to run it and those cars go as long as any other engine would. It doesn't wash off oil. For one thing, it shouldn't be so wet in the combustion chamber that it could wash anything if it would.
Too many myths from those haters who haven't used ethanol like I have.
Besides, 4 cycle engines have two times per cycle where the piston is up at the top - TDC, and the rings and piston carry oil up the cylinder wall, and the rings themselves are "Scrapers" and scrap oil off the cylinder walls as the piston goes back down.
The alcohol is also so hot when it gets into that compressed mix it's not liquid - there's no liquid to wash oil off the cylinder walls. I see a lot of people out there claiming it while real life studies show otherwise. Another hate myth.
A study from Finland years ago showed equal wear ethanol fuels vs. straight gas.

We had state cars with 100,000 miles on them and no engine trouble.
Well, I've heard that it DOES cause more long from an actual powertrain engineer with Stellantis who designed the gen 1 of the 3.6 in most Gladiiators. He won't run it in his own flex fuel 3.6. I'd think he's in the know about it. I also know a racing engine builder who will tell you exactly the same thing, and many of his engines run on E85 and some on pure alcohol fuel. He obviously isn't concerned about long term wear, but understands what it does in an engine compared to gasoline.
Sponsored

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R and 2017 Chevrolet Bolt
Occupation
Business Owner
I REALLY wish these things (the JT 3.6) was optimized for E85. More power, cooler running, cleaner chambers.
93 octane will help as they can bump timing and make other changes to increase power a bit but the real power advantage would be an engine made for E85.
If I could convert mine to E85 for 500 bucks, I'd do it. But I don't know that these 3.6s have the compression to make them really that great with E85.
E85 engines should be made more like diesel engines, not open deck light-weight gas engines.
It's funny that E85 use leads to less carbon and a cleaner fuel system. In my experience, using 0% ethanol in my cars and small engines seems to do a great job of keeping things burning clean. Maybe after a certain percentage the simplicity of E85 chemically helps as it's just CO2 and water when burned? But if you're talking 10-15% ethanol, way more varnish, coating, smoking, etc....

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Well, I've heard that it DOES cause more long from an actual powertrain engineer with Stellantis who designed the gen 1 of the 3.6 in most Gladiiators. He won't run it in his own flex fuel 3.6. I'd think he's in the know about it. I also know a racing engine builder who will tell you exactly the same thing, and many of his engines run on E85 and some on pure alcohol fuel. He obviously isn't concerned about long term wear, but understands what it does in an engine compared to gasoline.
That's a general statement.

What exactly is damaged?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
That's a general statement.

What exactly is damaged?
Exactly what I said before. It breaks down and strips oil from the cylinder walls. And there IS a film of oil on the cylinder walls, which accelerates wear.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Great video from my buddy Paul who owns Deutsche Auto Parts, a very respected individual in the German car community.

Sponsored