First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
I just want a better “driving” vehicle without the government tune to meet EPA requirements. That tune will most likely include the transmission also. This thread seems to be good information and appreciate what KurtP and others contribute. The EPA mandates manufacturers do stupid shit. I just want to undo that and have a better “driving” truck. Gas mileage may go up or down, I don’t know yet. My experience with tuning motorcycles is it will not change much either way. Power takes fuel. But if it “drives” better, I don’t care about mileage. If I wanted mileage, I would have bought a moped.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I just want a better “driving” vehicle without out the government tune to meet EPA requirements. That tune will most likely include the transmission also. This thread seems to be good information and appreciate what KurtP and others contribute. The EPA mandates manufacturers do stupid shit. I just want to undo that and have a better “driving” truck. Gas mileage may go up or down, I don’t know yet. My experience with tuning motorcycles is it will not change much either way. Power takes fuel. But if it “drives” better, I don’t care about mileage. If I wanted mileage, I would have bought a moped.
All true. 14.7 for this long does not make a good driving motorbike or car.

Ive found that on motorbikes; as long as i leave O2 sensors intact and voltage shift a little, the mpg gets better. If the o2’s get disabled, and it runs off tables, mpg takes a hit.

Or build a map that runs live wideband.

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
All true. 14.7 for this long does not make a good driving motorbike or car.

Ive found that on motorbikes; as long as i leave O2 sensors intact and voltage shift a little, the mpg gets better. If the o2’s get disabled, and it runs off tables, mpg takes a hit.

Or build a map that runs live wideband.
Agree totally. Never set a single cell in a fuel table for 14.7. And you are again correct that mpg typically went up. But, when the response of your vehicle is better it is hard to stay out of the throttle. But for sure the vehicle had much better overall response. Thanks for your insight and information.

I do seem to think the transmission tune will help these trucks a lot. The shift points and overall response for the automatic trans, which I have, is terrible.

Keep up the good work and know that it is appreciated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Agree totally. Never set a single cell in a fuel table for 14.7. And you are again correct that mpg typically went up. But, when the response of your vehicle is better it is hard to stay out of the throttle. But for sure the vehicle had much better overall response. Thanks for your insight and information.

I do seem to think the transmission tune will help these trucks a lot. The shift points and overall response for the automatic trans, which I have, is terrible.

Keep up the good work and know that it is appreciated.
Yeah agreed.

I havent looked much at the trans tune. I found once i did a circumference tire measure and loaded my new gears, it seems great....what are you noticing?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Kurt- If Pulsar gets things sorted out to your satisfaction I’d like to meet up with you and take your truck for a spin if possible as I’m in VA also and travel a bunch..

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Yeah agreed.

I havent looked much at the trans tune. I found once i did a circumference tire measure and loaded my new gears, it seems great....what are you noticing?
Just seems the shift points may be a little too soon. And eighth gear seems almost useless. I live in coastal NC and it is pretty flat here. It is hard to hold eighth gear while cruising. But, a good engine tune might help the feel of the trans.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Kurt- If Pulsar gets things sorted out to your satisfaction I’d like to meet up with you and take your truck for a spin if possible as I’m in VA also and travel a bunch..
Sure thing.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Just seems the shift points may be a little too soon. And eighth gear seems almost useless. I live in coastal NC and it is pretty flat here. It is hard to hold eighth gear while cruising. But, a good engine tune might help the feel of the trans.
Yeah it’s a toss up. On the one hand, it does have some urgency to get to overdrive. On the other, if it doesnt, it will end up holding gears too long for economy. Some of that, as you say, is transmission tuning and some of that is throttle request from the pedal.

The lag time at the pedal means you arent getting what you think youre requesting; so the ecu sees less throttle than you actually want. So it thinks youre at low load and low request, and rushes to overdrive. This is part of the reason why we get the upshift, lag on accel, more pedal input, downshift again, then go.

I attribute more of the problem to this than transmission logic. I think even if someone doesnt want to mess with engine tuning, a pedal commander would help alot for drivability and economy. Some of the pulsar gains come from better fuel and better mapping and some of it comes from reduced pedal delay. Id almost be curious to run my test loop with a pedal commander and compare.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Also, what size lift/tire/gear are you on?

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Just a stock Overland. Not an off-road guy. Bought it for the convertible top. I’m a beach guy lol.
Interesting. Im surprised youre having issues with that given the passenger car tire. I wouldnt have guessed it was an issue based on my time in a Sahara.

That is a good “get toys to the beach” vehicle tho... 👌

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Yeah it’s a toss up. On the one hand, it does have some urgency to get to overdrive. On the other, if it doesnt, it will end up holding gears too long for economy. Some of that, as you say, is transmission tuning and some of that is throttle request from the pedal.

The lag time at the pedal means you arent getting what you think youre requesting; so the ecu sees less throttle than you actually want. So it thinks youre at low load and low request, and rushes to overdrive. This is part of the reason why we get the upshift, lag on accel, more pedal input, downshift again, then go.

I attribute more of the problem to this than transmission logic. I think even if someone doesnt want to mess with engine tuning, a pedal commander would help alot for drivability and economy. Some of the pulsar gains come from better fuel and better mapping and some of it comes from reduced pedal delay. Id almost be curious to run my test loop with a pedal commander and compare.
You are most probably correct. The pedal lag is probably more at fault. Don’t think I have ever had a vehicle with this much lag.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
You are most probably correct. The pedal lag is probably more at fault. Don’t think I have ever had a vehicle with this much lag.
Its pretty bad for sure....
Sponsored