First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
That COULD also be a sign of a well-built rig, and an experienced driver. ;)

I haven't had to use mine yet, so it's still perfectly rolled, but I'm also VERY OCD, so even after using it, I still try to roll it back up as straight as possible.
I’ve always installed my own rope never once can I get it like when they come from factory
Sponsored

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I’ve always installed my own rope never once can I get it like when they come from factory
I hear ya. I lack some arcane knowledge how to do so. I read, watched video, I still end up with a bit of a mess. Not terrible, perfectly usable, but not close to perfectly wrapped.

Jeep Gladiator How to spot a Mall Crawler 20200215_133558

Jeep Gladiator How to spot a Mall Crawler 20200215_134407

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Just thankful no one on here has called it a "wench."

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just thankful no one on here has called it a "wench."
On the gun forums I see a bunch of midwesterners calling rifle stocks, " rifle stalks"... It's like dude, I know you're from Nebraska, and all you know about is corn, but seriously...

That shit makes me grimace when I see such poor spelling knowledge. Just like people who don't use punctuation.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I mean I would love a wench for my Jeep. All gussied up in pirate garb. but expectation is 99% of the argument.

On the gun forums I see a bunch of midwesterners calling rifle stocks, " rifle stalks"... It's like dude, I know you're from Nebraska, and all you know about is corn, but seriously...

That shit makes me grimace when I see such poor spelling knowledge. Just like people who don't use punctuation.

Sponsored

AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
I saw one yesterday on a RV forum..... "I new when the toe truck driver showd up he could help me."

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I saw one yesterday on a RV forum..... "I new when the toe truck driver showd up he could help me."
I put a "sad" like on that, because that's just pathetic... I don't know that person, so not sure if it's lazy or ignorance, but either way, wow...

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Another way to spot a mall crawler
Perfectly rolled winch line :)
Always magazine perfect.

Meanwhile, in my driveway, its on there and it's laid as good as it's gonna be. Everytime I'm done using it I try to get it laid back on nice and neat but sometimes it just doesn't want to play nice.

And some times I'm just like screw it, it's on the drum and we've got more work to do.

Sometimes I get jealous of the big Werner units with the winding cam setup, perfect every time. But I don't have anywhere near enough truck to carry it.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur

I want to hit people when they talk about their duelie... is your truck having a sword fight? Pistols at dawn?

And, just to be a pedantic prick, there is an actual difference between a motor and an engine.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
So back to mall crawling. I have a friend who went all in on the fab fours gear; grumper, vicowl, all of it.

Supposedly if you are breaking trail it stops trees from assaultinga you. I just see a huge amount of weight you could be spending on food and water.

Now for the OPs fairlead with no winch, who knows. Not the first time I've seen it. I've also seen the ax, shovel and cooler rhino lined for maximum I don't know what.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Well educated learned to type on a typewriter spellcheck is the devils friend don’t get me started on punctuation
Where‘s your punctuation? Missing all in your post! (LOL, just messing with you!)

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Always magazine perfect.

Meanwhile, in my driveway, its on there and it's laid as good as it's gonna be. Everytime I'm done using it I try to get it laid back on nice and neat but sometimes it just doesn't want to play nice.

And some times I'm just like screw it, it's on the drum and we've got more work to do.

Sometimes I get jealous of the big Werner units with the winding cam setup, perfect every time. But I don't have anywhere near enough truck to carry it.
So I found as I’m reeling it in to set tension back after a pull I will lean against the line so I can use my body weight to work the line back and forth

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
My problem is more a set to the wire rope, what ever humvee it was on previously did a poor job of caring for it, some twist and an aggressive curl. Seems like they never paid it out past the top wrap and then cranked on it with all 11k on the regular.

In better conditions I use a welding glove to put some tension on the line and walk it in perfect neat lifts.

OP
OP
Diaster

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter
My problem is more a set to the wire rope, what ever humvee it was on previously did a poor job of caring for it, some twist and an aggressive curl. Seems like they never paid it out past the top wrap and then cranked on it with all 11k on the regular.

In better conditions I use a welding glove to put some tension on the line and walk it in perfect neat lifts.
Try stretching it. Find a hill, let it all out, put some tension on it, let it set for the day (Put blocks behind the wheels for safety) Then winch your ride across a flat area, so not a lot of strain is on the cable, or use a weight and roll it up guiding the cable as you do.
old cowboy trick for stretching and getting the kinks out of laid rope which is similar in construction to a cable. Remove the “memory”
Sponsored