Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Do any of you tow a camper off-road? I recently went on a trip with a buddy that towed a camper with his ZR2 and it was a PITA. I ended up having to drag the camper up and down the trail to camp for him. I understand campers provide comfort and simple shelter but for the places I like to go, they're a hassle. Would you rather tow a camper or a utility trailer?

We spent a week being socially-distant in Tonto Nation Forest. We explored trails in our trucks- my 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, a Chevy ZR2, and a GMC Canyon AT4. The trip was an outstanding reprieve from home life and we're anxious to do it again.

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Yeah, if was doing rough enough off roading, I would want to haul my load. Not tow it. Seems a lot easier. But, owning a glamper, I know the luxuries hidden inside.

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, if was doing rough enough off roading, I would want to haul my load. Not tow it. Seems a lot easier. But, owning a glamper, I know the luxuries hidden inside.
It's a trade-off. He likes to use his camper as the camp centerpiece for camping and socializing. If he brings it we have to plan our routes accordingly to ensure he can make it down the trail.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
They make ones that are off road capable that’s the type I would buy

Sponsored

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
daycamp002.jpg

timbrentest02.jpg

hridge02.jpg

Everything is a trade off. I pull a teardrop off-road but realistically, it's mostly desert tracks and forest service roads. If I plan to get jiggy, I'll spot the trailer. My trailer is waaaay modified. Timbren long travel suspension with raised spindles, 2,200 lbs springs with 3,500 lbs spindles, diesel heater, generator, pintle hitch, big (10") brakes and Cooper ATs. I've got 28" to the top of the hitch, 18 inches of ground clearance and more exit angle than the Gladiator. It's also pretty light at 1680 lbs wet. But..... it's still a trailer with all the downsides to that. Guys pulling these dedicated, tandem off-road trailers at 5,000+ lbs must be using a bulldozer. Weight, width, height, clearance....no fooling mother nature.....

Last edited:

We are in trouble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
A camper is more hassle than what its worth to me. I feel limited to what and where I want to go. With a camper or any trailer I end up avoiding paths that I would otherwise explore.

I actually clicked on this thread because I thought we were going to rag on "campers", as in people who are camping. lol

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
A camper is more hassle than what its worth to me. I feel limited to what and where I want to go. With a camper or any trailer I end up avoiding paths that I would otherwise explore.

I actually clicked on this thread because I thought we were going to rag on "campers", as in people who are camping. lol
I hear ya. It's a whole other level of trouble. But my tent days are long gone. When we go to Moab or JTNP etc, I spot the trailer at a campground and go explore. But at night when it's cold and I'm tired, I can dial up the heater, surf the net (onboard Apple mac mini running on 12 V, 28" monitor) and sleep like a baby. Like anything, you pays your money, you takes your choice.
We also have a RTT on the truck. Options....

Sponsored

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
A rebuilt m416 with a rooftop tent was my compromise for mobility and comfort. Gives me batteries, propane, water, storage, and a flat place to sleep that I don't have to pack up every night.

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
“Luckily, it was overcast all week…”

I love your sense of humor. That was great.

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Gladiator I Don’t Like Campers Trip Journal: Tonto National Forest Trip With Gladiator, ZR2, Canyon C09F7CC2-45A9-42CA-9DA7-37046FA5E2DB

The off road type are good for a base camp also
Slick setup. I've seen those trailers in person and they're the real deal. A local off-road supply shop takes them through Ozark National Forest and swears by them. How many people do you have on your trips in there?

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Gladiator I Don’t Like Campers Trip Journal: Tonto National Forest Trip With Gladiator, ZR2, Canyon C09F7CC2-45A9-42CA-9DA7-37046FA5E2DB

Everything is a trade off. I pull a teardrop off-road but realistically, it's mostly desert tracks and forest service roads. If I plan to get jiggy, I'll spot the trailer. My trailer is waaaay modified. Timbren long travel suspension with raised spindles, 2,200 lbs springs with 3,500 lbs spindles, diesel heater, generator, pintle hitch, big (10") brakes and Cooper ATs. I've got 28" to the top of the hitch, 18 inches of ground clearance and more exit angle than the Gladiator. It's also pretty light at 1680 lbs wet. But..... it's still a trailer with all the downsides to that. Guys pulling these dedicated, tandem off-road trailers at 5,000+ lbs must be using a bulldozer. Weight, width, height, clearance....no fooling mother nature.....
How comfortable do you surmise a 6'3" person would be in that camper? I like the compact size and easily-accessible kitchen. I imagine it's light enough you can easily reposition it without the Jeep.
Sponsored