Sponsored

I want this, but not going to wait longer!

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
You're kidding right? If you have that much time and that much money... why don't you build one? We know that jeep reads this forum. I just hope they ignore the irrational posts while deciding on pricing.
Not kidding. A diesel engine in a Wrangler or Gladiator is well worth an extra $20,000 to me. Been waiting 10 years for a diesel Jeep Wrangler, so I’ve saved up, and ready to pay with cash.

You're kidding right? If you have that much time and that much money... why don't you build one? We know that jeep reads this forum. I just hope they ignore the irrational posts while deciding on pricing.
Sponsored

Technoman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 CJ-5/2015 JKURHR
Yeah darnit, the truck is just a little too long for me after giving it serious thought. But like Mopar Boy I've been waiting seems like forever for a diesel Wrangler. I'd drive my 2015 JK Rubi to Toledo right now with 20K cash if they would drop in a diesel and 8-speed. Not real thrilled yet with the JL and the electronic "upgrades" ETC that cost a lot and I don't want. Front axle disconnect makes me sick by itself. .Probably a while before I have to make a JL decision when the diesel finally comes out. I'm lucky enough to afford what I want for my toys at this point but the pricing is tough to swallow compared to the old days. I actually offroad and it saddens me the costs to do it with the new stuff. Don't want to price the youngsters out of the hobby.
Cheers

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
1. Torque at lower RPMs = better offroading.

2. They usually are more reliable (even with the new EPA stuff as long as you get one that is newer than 2013). Except the Ecodiesel is actually not reliable at all so...

3. More torque at lower RPMs = better towing. (Except the Ecodiesel actually tows less so...)

4. Maintains value better.

Let me tell you why you shouldn't:
1. Some may argue the better fuel economy is enough to out way the cost of diesel over gas. But the fact is there is more expenses to diesel than just at the pump. Both parts and labor is more expensive which makes maintenance and repairs more expensive (even considering diesels have longer oil change intervals). Then there is DEF which isn't alot but adds up.

2. Buying a diesel is useless unless:
-you tow alot
-you are a serious offroader
-you live somewhere where diesel is cheaper than petroleum.

My goal was to wait for a JLUR diesel as I had a 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel and to be honest i loved it even with the added cost of ownership maintenance... That was until i took it in for normal oil change (let's be clear all maint was done by dealership) then one week later i noticed a coolant smell so I took it back into dealership only for them to say that a $40 coolant line for one of the turbo's had cracked and it would cost me over $4K to fix as they had to remove entire engine... Since it was just past the warranty window they wouldn't cover it so that day i chose to get a new JLUR but instead picked up the 2.0... Also, note that there are some very annoying things with how FCA created the diesel mainly around the exhaust cleaning cycle... It can happen at anytime without notice and then if you don't get it up to highway speeds until it completes it can foul the exhaust sensor... When the exhaust sensor fails you get non-stop errors as i found out one time when i was nowhere near a highway but in town and that little issue cost me $600 for them to replace... Basically i loved the towing, torque, fuel economy (although it generally costs more for fuel cost) but the constant unknowns along with the fact not many of the dealerships have people who really know how to work on the diesels at least around me made me change my mind... FCA needs to work out these issues before i will consider a diesel again... Sad part is 1.5 months after trading it in i get a note from FCA due to EPA stuff they would have then extended my warranty to 10 years 120k no help to me now...

Last edited:

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Sorry for your bad diesel experience, but hey, anyone can have a bad experience, with any product, even a Rolex watch can fail. Stuff happens. However, I have owned many diesel pickup trucks in my business, and have never had any issues or problems. I expect when I drive away with my beautiful Jeep MY2021 diesel Gladiator Rubicon, it will run very likely trouble free, for many, many years to come. OTOH, since "stuff" sometimes can happen, you better believe I always buy EFW, so no worries.

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Sorry for your bad diesel experience, but hey, anyone can have a bad experience, with any product, even a Rolex watch can fail. Stuff happens. However, I have owned many diesel pickup trucks in my business, and have never had any issues or problems. I expect when I drive away with my beautiful Jeep MY2021 diesel Gladiator Rubicon, it will run very likely trouble free, for many, many years to come. OTOH, since "stuff" sometimes can happen, you better believe I always buy EFW, so no worries.

Well i agree with that but when i bought this Grand Cherokee they couldn't get it to take the EFW as (per them) too new of an engine... Even when i called Jeep warranty a couple of months later they had a time with it as it was the ECO diesel and couldn't get their system to allow purchase of the EFW... Now when talking to the lead diesel mechanic at the dealership he advised many of the eco diesels they had worked on many had some of the same issues... Although i agree anything can happen my point was FCA eco diesel has a design flaw to where a $40 hose breaks and it will cost $4k...

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Well i agree with that but when i bought this Grand Cherokee they couldn't get it to take the EFW as (per them) too new of an engine... Even when i called Jeep warranty a couple of months later they had a time with it as it was the ECO diesel and couldn't get their system to allow purchase of the EFW... Now when talking to the lead diesel mechanic at the dealership he advised many of the eco diesels they had worked on many had some of the same issues... Although i agree anything can happen my point was FCA eco diesel has a design flaw to where a $40 hose breaks and it will cost $4k...
Yes, I suppose a small relatively inexpensive part can break in ANY car, and cause a huge repair bill. My Mustang had s $35 nylon gear tooth in the timing chain drive gear fail, and it caused the timing belt to slip several cogs, causing the top of the pistons to hit the valves, essentially causing complete engine destruction. This was a well proven (over many years) Ford 302 V8 gas engine, to boot. So what. “Stuff hapoens.” Not impressive as a story. Big problems can happen with any engine, probably more often than not traced to an inexpensive component. See what happens if you blow a radiator hose and lose all of your coolant at 70 mph on the freeway. By the time you pull over, your engine will be so over heated you’d be glad if that $40 blown radiator hose only caused $4,000 of damage. You got unlucky, apparently with no EFW. Not at all unique to Jeep. I would never buy any car, even a Mercedes, without an EFW.

I am completely confident when I buy my diesel Gladiator Rubi, I will not drive it off the dealer’s car lot without an EFW in hand, just as I would do with any brand of new car I might buy. Just good common sense.
Sponsored