First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
Basically, drive it till you get stranded. That’s the Jeep way…

Trade in value is garbage, the ecodiesel values tanked….

I love my jeep, but this situation is awful…..
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Is the CPX or a CP3 interchangable, in other words a bolt on. I under stand changing the drive gear and such....
Don't think anyone really knows. Know there is kits for other diesel motors to swap out the CP4 with the older CP3. But nothing for the Italian motor.

69charged

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara, 23 JTRD
About to pull the trigger on a 23 Gladiator diesel. I emailed RCD to see about getting a pump for it, before it craps out. Have not received a reply yet. I would pay the extra to have peace of mind, along with a GDE tune.
I realize the failures are a small percentage of what was sold.
So I got a reply from RCD. They say that the pump is a replacement for the Gladiator, even though it’s not listed on the site. It has a 2 year no questions asked warranty. But installing it would void your power train warranty I would guess. He said they also build a 10% over pump for those looking for performance. Interestingly, he said there a quite a few dealers installing their pumps in lieu of trying to get parts from the factory. Thought that was interesting.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
So I got a reply from RCD. They say that the pump is a replacement for the Gladiator, even though it’s not listed on the site. It has a 2 year no questions asked warranty. But installing it would void your power train warranty I would guess. He said they also build a 10% over pump for those looking for performance. Interestingly, he said there a quite a few dealers installing their pumps in lieu of trying to get parts from the factory. Thought that was interesting.
Very interesting indeed. But at whose cost when it comes down to warranty? If they replace it with a non Mopar part who's gonna warranty the work?

69charged

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara, 23 JTRD
Very interesting indeed. But at whose cost when it comes down to warranty? If they replace it with a non Mopar part who's gonna warranty the work?
Not sure. Didn’t get that far into the conversation. That would be a conversation that one would have to have with their dealer. For me personally, I am going to look into purchasing this one or the one with the lifters pinned, and hope the dealer works with me on any other warranty work. I say other because I am fully prepared to accept they won’t take responsibility for work I’ve done. But let’s say a front axle u-joint goes in the first 5000kms, I hope they don’t come at me and say oh it’s cause you put that different pump on. They could do that, and have a right to do that, but hope they would be reasonable about it.
We’ll see. Heck, I don’t even have the vehicle yet!! 😂

Sponsored

Unbreakable

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S 3.0
I’m considering talking to my attorney this week about my options. There’s at least one class action lawsuit now. I don’t really have an existing injury from this beyond frustration so I can’t really sue them. But that doesn’t mean he can’t send a demand letter to Jeep to get some more definitive answer. What I keep getting from my dealership is this continuously shifting timeframe and shrugs. The federal regulator says this is a safety issue. That alone obligates Jeep to tell its customers what’s going on beyond an initial letter.
I'd disagree every ecodiesel owner has injury, just look at the trade value if you can get a dealer to take it.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'd disagree every ecodiesel owner has injury, just look at the trade value if you can get a dealer to take it.
Are you saying every ecodiesel owner does have a valid legal claim to being injured by Stellantis’s actions or inactions? I’m not going to say that’s wrong. I just don’t thinks it’s clear at this point. I don’t think we have enough info to really prove that because the recall is still in this holding pattern. I do agree that they’ve taken a year from us if the recall ends up not being real and they just do a buy back. Then yes, we’ve been injured.

People already clearly disagree with that because there’s been 7 class action lawsuits over this pump. I think one of the recalls actually made one of those go away.

If you’re saying ecodiesel jeeps are currently being systemically undervalued on trade then may be I’m wrong. I just haven’t seen evidence either way. My dealer just offered to buy mine or take it on trade for $43-$46k. That’s bluebook. But it’s also heavily modified and it’s still a grey area on what they will transfer over to a new truck if I buy. They’re saying they would on everything, but I doubt they’re going to be able to move my lift kit and rock sliders over. I’m not planning on selling anyway but I wanted to get a lay of the land. It’s a decent price for a stock truck. It’s terrible for a modified one. I’m thinking I could sell it for considerably more. Obviously they think so too.

Also do less people want the diesel? Is it less desirable in reality? You can’t go by this forum. People who didn’t get the diesel don’t tend to speak highly of it. That’s just bias. I’m not so sure the recall has hurt the truck yet but we’re quickly moving in that direction.

Unbreakable

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S 3.0
Also do less people want the diesel? Is it less desirable in reality? You can’t go by this forum. People who didn’t get the diesel don’t tend to speak highly of it. That’s just bias. I’m not so sure the recall has hurt the truck yet but we’re quickly moving in that direction.
You're correct you can't go by the forum and honestly that's all the "evidence" I have. I haven't tried to trade or sell my 3.0, I love my diesel and hope they come up with a good fix.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Basically, drive it till you get stranded. That’s the Jeep way…

Trade in value is garbage, the ecodiesel values tanked….

I love my jeep, but this situation is awful…..
Indeed. My trade isn't awful, my dealer offered to buy mine for $47,000. Yes I've put a lot of money and sweat equity into mods but I also only paid like $52,000 and drove it for 23,000 miles for the last two years.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
You're correct you can't go by the forum and honestly that's all the "evidence" I have. I haven't tried to trade or sell my 3.0, I love my diesel and hope they come up with a good fix.
Yeah I’d probably not take a buyback. I love this truck. I’d seriously consider just buying one the modified pumps some diesel parts companies are selling and run a GDE tune. That supposedly gets rid of the eco mode at idle that creates cavitation. I’d consider a Cummins 2.8 diesel crate engine too. I’d actually consider Toyota over trading this for a Pentastar.

Sponsored

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
I say other because I am fully prepared to accept they won’t take responsibility for work I’ve done. But let’s say a front axle u-joint goes in the first 5000kms, I hope they don’t come at me and say oh it’s cause you put that different pump on. They could do that, and have a right to do that, but hope they would be reasonable about it.
They absolutely DO NOT have the right to void your warrant on a modification that is not related. Unless you are a canuck, in the state the burden is on them to prove the modification you did is the cause of the problem. So putting in an aftermarket fuel pump has nothing to do with say a u-joint.

916WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Yeah I’d probably not take a buyback. I love this truck. I’d seriously consider just buying one the modified pumps some diesel parts companies are selling and run a GDE tune. That supposedly gets rid of the eco mode at idle that creates cavitation. I’d consider a Cummins 2.8 diesel crate engine too. I’d actually consider Toyota over trading this for a Pentastar.
I'm in the exact opposite camp--If the diesel was the only option, I'm guessing most(including myself) wouldn't consider the Gladiator. When I first started looking, I had to have a diesel because of the towing angle. The more you read about the problems with emissions, electrical, overheating/derating, the more you realize how flawed the engineering on this combo is. When it runs it can be praised, but when it fails, it seems to fail spectacularly. It's really unfortunate. I'm not exactly thrilled with the pentastar performance, but at least I know it will get me from A to B without leaving me crawling up the side of the road at 25mph........

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm in the exact opposite camp--If the diesel was the only option, I'm guessing most(including myself) wouldn't consider the Gladiator. When I first started looking, I had to have a diesel because of the towing angle. The more you read about the problems with emissions, electrical, overheating/derating, the more you realize how flawed the engineering on this combo is. When it runs it can be praised, but when it fails, it seems to fail spectacularly. It's really unfortunate. I'm not exactly thrilled with the pentastar performance, but at least I know it will get me from A to B without leaving me crawling up the side of the road at 25mph........
Full disclosure, I’ve owned a TJ, a JK with the Pentastar and now this JTRD. The ecodiesel is the best engine ever put in a Jeep by a country mile. I love the 4.0 but let’s be honest, it was a pig. A highly evolved and refined pig. I’d happily own another one. I owned a 3.6 and within 6 months had major engine components repeatedly failing. Now that’s a sample set of 1 but both the Pentastar the Ecodieasel have proven to be reliable engines. Mine was a lemon. My ecodiesel has been trouble free. This fuel pump problem affects around 3% of these engines. The 3.0 is a new engine and it hasn’t been without issues. But neither has the Pentastar, also a new engine. Back in 2013 all people on Jeep forums talked about was head problems. Now us diesel folks are squawking, and rightly so. Back in 13 I had the other mystery-drama of the era, the dreaded Pentastar sand casting nightmare. Those were good times. So I don’t think from a reliability side it really matters. The diesel has the added factor of expensive NOx control devices. But everyone who bought one should have understood. I factored into my decision the extra costs associated with this. The DEF, the emissions components, the oil filters and oil, the lack of availability of parts and the price of fuel. It was a financial decision. In other words, I was comfortable with the economics. A lot of people, as you say and I agree, most people would say “hell no, it’s not worth it!”

So why? I simply don’t like the 3.6 having owned one. I didn’t like how it sounded. I didn’t like how it drove. I didn’t like how it performed off road. They’ve since gotten better for sure. But given similar reliability, better theoretical longevity, better drivability, better acceleration and better range/mpg, I prefer the diesel. I drove the 3.6 while waiting for my JTRD and was a little apprehensive afterwards. I was not impressed. I was relieved when my truck came in and it drove completely differently other than the horrifying bad stock suspension tuning. You’ll find a lot of people on here who love the 3.6 and wouldn’t have the diesel if they gave them away.

Here’s the thing it all comes down to. Some people like diesels. Some people hate them. Some people are Harley people. Some people are Honda people. Some are both. For the overwhelming majority of owners most people will never have a major problem with either the 3.0 or the 3.6. Given that, I’m going to buy what I like, get rid of or avoid what I don’t or what doesn’t make sense to me anymore and modify or fix what i still think is worth it.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I wouldn't drive it. If the pump is failing, it has sent metal shavings throughout the entire system, including into the injectors. The typical result is it suddenly dying. As luck and statistics would have it, that will probably occur in a dangerous place. But luck has been on your side this time for you to have caught it before it stranded you.

I don't have an EcoDiesel but, from what I read, you can pull the volume control valve off the pump and inspect for metal. If you see it there, the pump is the source. If it is clean, maybe the metal is from another source.

https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diesel-technology/cp4-2-fuel-pump/
You can definitely take the pressure regulator off and inspect. It’s two small bolts- it has a metal screen that will have metal bits on it if the pumps going. 👍🏼🍺

916WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
So why? I simply don’t like the 3.6 having owned one. I didn’t like how it sounded. I didn’t like how it drove. I didn’t like how it performed off road. They’ve since gotten better for sure. But given similar reliability, better theoretical longevity, better drivability, better acceleration and better range/mpg, I prefer the diesel. I drove the 3.6 while waiting for my JTRD and was a little apprehensive afterwards. I was not impressed. I was relieved when my truck came in and it drove completely differently other than the horrifying bad stock suspension tuning. You’ll find a lot of people on here who love the 3.6 and wouldn’t have the diesel if they gave them away.
That's exactly it--when initially deciding on a Gladiator, I drove a diesel Rubicon and liked how the engine performed. The pentastar was flawed when released, but the manufacturer was/is committed to sticking by that motor and over a decade plus, has refined it to a point where it is basically bulletproof when one accounts for how many of them are on on the road. I recently came across a somewhat local firecracker red 2023 Rubicon diesel on CarGurus and thought "what if?"--it is fully loaded, including ACC and the upgraded cross stitched leather interior. Nice looking truck and it was marked down over $10k off of MSRP. Called the dealership and the sales rep let me know that it was still under the stop sale and they couldn't even allow a test drive. We talked for a bit about how Jeep had seriously screwed up the engineering with that motor/option and then basically is now walking away from it leaving everyone else holding the bag. He told me one dealership is sitting on 40 ecodiesels--forced to pay interest on vehicles that they are not allowed to sell with zero support from the parent company that produced them. I love the idea of the option, but the reality of living with it is an entirely different matter. Jeep is clearly abandoning the project. Five or six years from now with 80-90k miles will there be any competent support from the dealerships/manufacturer if it takes a year to resolve an issue on a brand new one?
Sponsored