First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Healthcare
Anybody have experience with both (or one or the other)? Looking at the iKamper Mini or the RoofNest Condor. Both sleep 2 (RoofNest slightly larger). iKamper is about $800 more for the rough black exterior and has a 6-8 week lead time compared to “early August” for the RoofNest. Any experience with either would be helpful. Thank you.
Sponsored

Boogerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
My buddy has an Ikamper and swears by it.... I think either way you cant go wrong... actually, I didn't realize roof nest made ones that fold out like Ikamper... I would probably go with Roofnest and save the money and get it sooner... That is a great find... I will maybe end up doing the same one... I don't think the Ikamper is actually worth 700-1K extra but I will have to do some research and compare them

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
In case in helps, on YouTube the TrailRecon channel has a review of a Roofnest tent and the Last Line of Defense channel has a comparison between iKamper hardshell and iKamper hybrid tents. The latter video is long but very detailed to include measurements.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I have a different model of Roofnest and have been extremely happy with it. It is well made and the price was great for what I got.

Jeep Gladiator iKamper vs RoofNest Hard Shell RTTs 20200525_220322

Jeep Gladiator iKamper vs RoofNest Hard Shell RTTs 20200711_164509

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Biggest complaint with iKamper is that you don't have a lot of room up there to close up bedding. Definitely not full size pillows and more than a couple sleeping bags starts to put stress on it. No experience with the roofnest but at those price points, I'd be looking at Autohome.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cwelroy

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Healthcare
Biggest complaint with iKamper is that you don't have a lot of room up there to close up bedding. Definitely not full size pillows and more than a couple sleeping bags starts to put stress on it. No experience with the roofnest but at those price points, I'd be looking at Autohome.
Thanks for introducing me to the Autohome tents. I like the other because they have a smaller footprint when closed and fit over the bed of the truck Without extending back over the tailgate or forward over the cab.
Since I’m new to the roof top tent game, I actually went ahead and purchased a soft shell Roam Vagabond Lite tent. For only $1600, I figured if we don’t like it or don’t use it as often as I plan, i can sell it, maybe get half my money back, and not lose too much. If we do like it, I can do the same and then splurge for the ikamper or the RoofNest.

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a ikamper skycamper and can get it shut with a 2 person sleeping bag & a exped megamat duo lw mat.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Been super happy w my iKamper mini! The setup and breakdown time is a breeze!!!!

46B46E4D-A5C3-474E-9AAD-50EDBF9AB5BC.jpeg
Got the bed rack.

Got the table and the mount.

Got the roof top tent.

I really gotta get the Skottle!

I'm also liking that propane bottle mount. Rebel Off Road is pretty proud of those.

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I'm about to import an unbranded Skycamp mini from China (ikamper and all clones are manufactured in South Korea)...lead time through Alibaba is the same as through the US retailers. I was quoted $1003 with the awning shipped. The only thing I think will be missing is the insulation kit. If the transaction goes well, seriously considering importing 10 or more and selling them at a discounted price. There are at least 3 other companies in the US marketing the same exact tent under different names/brands. The cheapest of which is $2100 and I don't know if they include free shipping.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm about to import an unbranded Skycamp mini from China (ikamper and all clones are manufactured in South Korea)...lead time through Alibaba is the same as through the US retailers. I was quoted $1003 with the awning shipped. The only thing I think will be missing is the insulation kit. If the transaction goes well, seriously considering importing 10 or more and selling them at a discounted price. There are at least 3 other companies in the US marketing the same exact tent under different names/brands. The cheapest of which is $2100 and I don't know if they include free shipping.
So I was a little off...ikamper does seem to be manufactured in South Korea, but the clones (at least three brands in the US) are being made in China (boy China really does rip off everything). I know you get what you pay for, but at a $2500 savings, I was willing to try one of these out especially if they are the same ones others are also selling for $2500-$3000 as competitors to iKamper.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
So I was a little off...ikamper does seem to be manufactured in South Korea, but the clones (at least three brands in the US) are being made in China (boy China really does rip off everything). I know you get what you pay for, but at a $2500 savings, I was willing to try one of these out especially if they are the same ones others are also selling for $2500-$3000 as competitors to iKamper.
Did you ever end up buying the tent off Alibaba? I'm looking around now and wondering if the little extras add up for the additional money or if going cheap is worth it.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did you ever end up buying the tent off Alibaba? I'm looking around now and wondering if the little extras add up for the additional money or if going cheap is worth it.
Yes, this was the tent I bought.