Inline 6 to debut in next Trackhawk?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
https://www.thedrive.com/news/41438/new-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk-wont-have-hellcat-v8-report

The brand will likely go for more plug-in hybrids, and Mopar Insiders speculates a PHEV drivetrain might be bolted to a future Trackhawk. That would mean a powerful gasoline engine—likely six cylinders and turbocharged—working in concert with one or more electric motors powering the front and or rear axles.
Reading between the lines, that could be the new I-6, or perhaps something already in the Stellantis inventory.

However if you click through to the cited article, it very much implies the I-6.

The cited article also mentions coming PHEV versions of the GW and Wagoneer.

Would it be best to make a big splash to debut the new engine with the performance topping Trackhawk, or the brand topping Wagoneers?
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I believe they need a powerplant that is not currently offered within Ram or Jeep in order to hybrid a Ram 1/2ton, the new Wagoneer, or a Gladiator. Either they bring an existing one from across other Stellantis brands (?), create a new one, or wait & go full EV. Something akin to the hybrid F150 setup.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
C'mon Alfa (Ferrari) 2.9L 505hp V6TT!

Nomdebrew

First Name
Theia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JT
An I6 turbo PHEV would definitely be appealing enough to get me to finally order. After testing driving the pentastar and eco-diesel, I would definitely want the extra torque. However, daily driving in the city with a short commute and occasional camping/mountain trips the diesel makes less sense. Granted, the 392 makes the least sense for me.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
A straight six is in my top-3 engine configurations (behind rotary and tied with a flat six). You can keep the V8. A turbo really sweetens the deal. If they trotted that out on the JT next Wednesday, I might be able to overlook the first production year teething issues...

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A straight six is in my top-3 engine configurations (behind rotary and tied with a flat six). You can keep the V8. A turbo really sweetens the deal. If they trotted that out on the JT next Wednesday, I might be able to overlook the first production year teething issues...
A straight 6 can develop some crazy torque - and old-school I-6 engines have gone crazy HP numbers when done right. With today's technology, something close to the 4.0 of yesteryear could easily hit 400 hp and enough low end grunt to satisfy a lot of people.

Nomdebrew

First Name
Theia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JT
A straight 6 can develop some crazy torque - and old-school I-6 engines have gone crazy HP numbers when done right. With today's technology, something close to the 4.0 of yesteryear could easily hit 400 hp and enough low end grunt to satisfy a lot of people.
I loved the 4.0L in my old XJ. It was my first vehicle as a teen and I'm amazed how well it handled my asinine antics and poor maintenance schedule.