Sponsored

Installing rock rails solo with no fancy equipment.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had to use my head and a rag to hold up my fender flares so I could use my hands to thread on the first couple of bolts. Definitely not the most comfortable install.
I could say "now THAT'S using your head!" ;)

One the Eagle doors, you remove the fender liner (completely) and while using stands, jacks and in my case, the cradle on the engine hoist to hold the door in place, you look back behind the front wheel and - here's where the hinge bolts go - on the other hand, I wish Javelin door hinges were this bloody easy. You literally take out the whole instrument cluster and the dash as the bolts go from inside the car, out........

Jeep Gladiator Installing rock rails solo with no fancy equipment. sx4-springs-hinges-029
Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
“Drill 20 holes into the frame”.
You’re far more adventurous than I. They do look stout.

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Ffffuuu. I had bought 2 trays of flat black at HD for these and other items upcoming. Come down today to check on the final visible paint and some jackal had gotten a satin can in there and I didn't check. Gotta wait 48 extra hours now before I can get a layer or 2 of flat on it.

It doesn't look bad just not what I wanted

Jeep Gladiator Installing rock rails solo with no fancy equipment. PXL_20210509_180130063

SnazzyMojave

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Can't wait to see these mounted up! Thinking about them myself. What do you think of putting skateboard grip tape or something on top to protect from rust and give some extra grip?

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Can't wait to see these mounted up! Thinking about them myself. What do you think of putting skateboard grip tape or something on top to protect from rust and give some extra grip?
They're on. I really suggest the weld method. They're super heavy. and the tapping and drilling is really a pita and has very little room for error. They're the sturdiest you will find, but they really should be welded imo.

pendragonz

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I just installed my Rock Hard sliders today, for the most part solo. My rolling garage stool was adjustable to just the perfect height to help me slide them into the pinch weld holes solo.
Sponsored