Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Here is a video we recently shot on installing a winch in the OE steel bumper:

Post up any install Qs you have, we'll answer them the best we can.
Sponsored

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
So I recently had a Warn VR-12S winch installed in my 2020 JT steel bumper using a Warn winch plate. My question is this: the winch is not centered in the bumper and I'm concerned that this could cause issues while winching. Should I have the shop that did the install fix it, or use a different plate or do something else to center the winch properly?

20200923_030553.jpg

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
So I recently had a Warn VR-12S winch installed in my 2020 JT steel bumper using a Warn winch plate. My question is this: the winch is not centered in the bumper and I'm concerned that this could cause issues while winching. Should I have the shop that did the install fix it, or use a different plate or do something else to center the winch properly?

Jeep Gladiator Installing Warn winch and winch plate in Gladiator steel bumper 20200923_030553
I'm not understanding why its so off. There's only four points the winch bolts into the winch plate. It was all centered for me. I have stock steel bumper with Warn winch plate, Warn Zeon 12-S winch.

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not understanding why its so off. There's only four points the winch bolts into the winch plate. It was all centered for me. I have stock steel bumper with Warn winch plate, Warn Zeon 12-S winch.
I didn't do the install. I had a place called Allout Offroad in Fort Worth, TX do the install. Should I take it back and demand an explanation?

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I didn't do the install. I had a place called Allout Offroad in Fort Worth, TX do the install. Should I take it back and demand an explanation?
I would, with pictures of other people’s winches installed in a factory steel bumper. If you want I could take a picture of mines from head on.

Sponsored

2021Gladiator

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Communication

20200923_030553.jpg
Not sure you figured this out yet, but there are 4 holes to mount the winch to on the plate, ( centered or off center) yours appears to be in the outside driver side holes and the inside passenger side holes, to center the winch it needs to be in the opposite set of holes in the winch plate. I installed mine yesterday and I put winch in the wrong holes the first time. You should be able to change it by just removing the 4 bolts in the winch , line it up on other holes. Be careful not to let the square nuts fall out of the winch.

20201203_133953.jpg

20201203_134001.jpg

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
The zeon is more symmetrical than the VR and VR Evo series winches so it is mounted using the winch plate's other holes. I agree with @2021Gladiator that the winch just needs to be mounted in the offset holes.

Last edited:

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure you figured this out yet, but there are 4 holes to mount the winch to on the plate, ( centered or off center) yours appears to be in the outside driver side holes and the inside passenger side holes, to center the winch it needs to be in the opposite set of holes in the winch plate. I installed mine yesterday and I put winch in the wrong holes the first time. You should be able to change it by just removing the 4 bolts in the winch , line it up on other holes. Be careful not to let the square nuts fall out of the winch.

Jeep Gladiator Installing Warn winch and winch plate in Gladiator steel bumper 20201203_134001

Jeep Gladiator Installing Warn winch and winch plate in Gladiator steel bumper 20201203_134001
Thanks. I’ll look into this.

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8
How did this turn out? Having just put my 10s in today, I can tell you that if they used the offside mounting holes, I really don’t think they could have possibly had the clearance to get the inside bumper nuts back on. When centered there is barely clearance to get a socket on it. Id get a mirror in there and get a visual on the mounting nuts and prove they are there.
Sponsored