Interior lock box?

Jensen66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Looking for a locking box solution within reach of the driver. I had the Tuffy under seat box in the JK but there is not as much space in the Gladiator. I want to find something with its own key so if I valet park i can keep the key separate from the ignition key fob which has the glove box key in it. Anyone see anything out there yet or have any suggestions? I suppose I could have the glove box re-keyed but the box itself is not very secure. Rear under seats have been great but would be a challenge to get to if someone is sitting there
Sponsored

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜00 LR Disco II, ā€˜17 Toyota Sienna
There are a few options out for center console safes.

https://www.lockerdown.com/i-118-ex...ator-model-ld2070ex-includes-the-rubicon.html

https://www.quadratec.com/p/tuffy/s...GREMbpsuMV8Rm4hAdW656dxwSONDhwpkaAqo8EALw_wcB

Iā€™m not sure why the Lockerdown is twice as much as the Tuffy. I havenā€™t really done much research on them yet. Thereā€™s probably others out there somewhere too.

Iā€™m hoping somebody makes a different style box for the rear that has a door/drawer opening from the sides and/or front. Iā€™ll have 3 car seats back there so getting to the factory options is going to be tough.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Looking for a locking box solution within reach of the driver. I had the Tuffy under seat box in the JK but there is not as much space in the Gladiator. I want to find something with its own key so if I valet park i can keep the key separate from the ignition key fob which has the glove box key in it. Anyone see anything out there yet or have any suggestions? I suppose I could have the glove box re-keyed but the box itself is not very secure. Rear under seats have been great but would be a challenge to get to if someone is sitting there
I got an AJT keyfob. Here's a thread on that: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/ajt-injection-keyfob.14976/

While doing that I removed the flip key and it's now on a separate keyring.
If I valet the gladiator I will lock the glove box, center console, the two underseat storage boxes and the two rear seats.

OP
OP
Jensen66

Jensen66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Thanks guys, i have same issue as others with key fob opening but not enough to bother me. Really looking for the added security given what i may or may not have in there at any moment so looks like the center console inserts are the best options so far.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
I have this same brand console safe on my JK and itā€™s top quality. I confirmed with Vault Console customer service their JL safe will fit the Gladiator console. Therefore I ordered one for the Gladiator and itā€™s supposed to arrive Friday. Iā€™ll install Saturday and send out an update and pictures after. You can get a combination or key lock. Also comes with free shipping. I found a 10% off discount code online and worked for me. Not sure how long the code will last but here you go.

Discount Code: CVSB20

https://www.consolevault.com/2018--FWD-Jeep-Wrangler-JL_p_187.html

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have this same brand console safe on my JK and itā€™s top quality. I confirmed with Vault Console customer service their JL safe will fit the Gladiator console. Therefore I ordered one for the Gladiator and itā€™s supposed to arrive Friday. Iā€™ll install Saturday and send out an update and pictures after. You can get a combination or key lock. Also comes with free shipping. I found a 10% off discount code online and worked for me. Not sure how long the code will last but here you go.

Discount Code: CVSB20

https://www.consolevault.com/2018--FWD-Jeep-Wrangler-JL_p_187.html
Positive results, it worked and fits the Gladiator console just fine.

No real instructions, so here is my step-by-step if you get one. First, I recommend setting your combination lock with your own personal numbers and do a mock assembly outside the console before doing the install. It will save time later and better understanding how it goes together.

The safe is not a full drop-in piece. Probably the only way to get it inside the console is with the two pieces that screw together like its designed. It has a hinged bottom and two sides that is one piece. Then that part attaches to the top piece with 4 tap nuts. First put bottom piece in the console and collapse hinges flat so you can get the top inside. It took me a minute to figure out the top piece has to be turned diagonally to the console opening then finagled and turned to get it inside the console housing (so to be clear the top doesnā€™t assemble to the top side of the console, it goes inside). It goes completely inside the console and turns to fit about 3 inches below the opening. Note: It clears the light fine.

Ok, the hard part is over! Then raise the hinged sides to line up with the 2 holes on each side with threads to connect the top and bottom. You will need a box/open end wrench or ratchet to tighten the 4 nuts. Then screw in the 2 self tapping bolts to the console and you are done. Be sure not to over tighten the bolts and I was a little concerned they might be too long. Probably fine, but I stopped a little short of fully threaded just in case.

Entire assembly probably took 15-20 minutes to complete. Really was easy after figuring out how to get the top piece inside the housing and lined up.

Since the safe sits 3-4 inches below the console lid top opening, you can keep your top tray intact and stow some small items on top of the safe if you want.

Itā€™s a keeper for me!

9180465A-4D7B-49BF-98DB-DAA0D29907C6.jpeg

7CD80E48-6476-458F-B8BE-12F6DD2278C1.jpeg

060C6BF2-0ED8-4A29-993E-BD4CE0A1EF78.jpeg

01C92479-4434-4F40-994E-A2B3166F06BB.jpeg

C520D694-2254-42B2-A6D9-FBBA26D601A0.jpeg

6BF67B24-06C9-4F4B-BD0B-8526339222E3.jpeg

55270778-9F88-4F34-911B-6EE200CDD4F3.jpeg

0F022C4E-6BD4-45AC-848D-BB4E6687A3BC.jpeg

OrangeChuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkā€™n Gladiator
Do I understand properly, that this is not a full box safe, meaning that I can't use it as a standalone safe in my house? If I understand, it uses the console walls as part of its walls, and is essentially a hinged lid with no walls, but brackets to hold the lid up from the bottom and physically screw the brackets to the console inner wall? Looks like this allows you to keep the USB port (any hope of permanently running a USB wire around the outside of the lid?)

Not having my JT yet, is the console a double-wall construction such that when you screw into it from the inside the screw doesn't protrude through the outer wall?

Sorry for all the questions. The company site doesn't really show it uninstalled.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do I understand properly, that this is not a full box safe, meaning that I can't use it as a standalone safe in my house? If I understand, it uses the console walls as part of its walls, and is essentially a hinged lid with no walls, but brackets to hold the lid up from the bottom and physically screw the brackets to the console inner wall? Looks like this allows you to keep the USB port (any hope of permanently running a USB wire around the outside of the lid?)

Not having my JT yet, is the console a double-wall construction such that when you screw into it from the inside doesn't protrude through the outer wall?

Sorry for all the questions. The company site doesn't really show it uninstalled.
You are correct in your assumptions on all questions. Yes, there is double wall. Screw into the the inner wall inside the console only. I donā€™t think the screws would protrude to outer wall but to be sure I stopped tightening about a 1/8ā€ before fully threaded. Still really happy with the safe and yes it is permanent and stays in the Jeep console full time. There is some metal coverage on the bottom and side walls inside too, but maybe 60% so not full wall coverage with the inner safe metal. The sides of the safe box screws into the inner walls of the console sides. The lid and hinge top is full coverage and strong steel. Highly recommendation the 3 digit combination lock. USB and light are still usable. The USB canā€™t be run out of the top. You might be able to drill a small hole on the inside of the console plastic and run the USB cable coming out of the emergency brake opening. I did this on my JK and have seen others do the same on the Gladiator. So itā€™s doable to access the USB with a little hole and routing of the fire wire. Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OrangeChuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkā€™n Gladiator
You are correct in your assumptions on all questions. Yes, there is double wall. Screw into the the inner wall inside the console only. I donā€™t think the screws would protrude to outer wall but to be sure I stopped tightening about a 1/8ā€ before fully threaded. Still really happy with the safe and yes it is permanent and stays in the Jeep console full time. There is some metal coverage on the bottom and side walls inside too, but maybe 60% so not full wall coverage with the inner safe metal. The sides of the safe box screws into the inner walls of the console sides. The lid and hinge top is full coverage and strong steel. Highly recommendation the 3 digit combination lock. USB and light are still usable. The USB canā€™t be run out of the top. You might be able to drill a small hole on the inside of the console plastic and run the USB cable coming out of the emergency brake opening. I did this on my JK and have seen others do the same on the Gladiator. So itā€™s doable to access the USB with a little hole and routing of the fire wire. Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions.
Thanks, this really looks like it rocks. And, they're 20% off this week; looks like I'll be getting accessories before I get the JT.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks, this really looks like it rocks. And, they're 20% off this week; looks like I'll be getting accessories before I get the JT.
I have one in my JT and JK. To me itā€™s a must have for doors on or off. Also had one in my Ram truck for 10 years before trade it in for the JT. You wonā€™t be disappointed.

OrangeChuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkā€™n Gladiator
I have one in my JT and JK. To me itā€™s a must have for doors on or off. Also had one in my Ram truck for 10 years before trade it in for the JT. You wonā€™t be disappointed.
Quadratec has some other brands at lower prices, but this one looks more sturdy. Itā€™s on the way.

Reactions: RSK

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
In regards to routing the USB wire.... I suppose you are running a phone connection for charging and for Apple Interface with the radio. I ran a 3/8ā€ drill bit into the console from just above the parking brake handle (between the rubber trim pieces) and fed my lightning wire out through there. Slick and easy. I just did it because I didnā€™t like the way it looked having the wire snaking out over the top of the console. This looks much neater to me.
image.jpg

OrangeChuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punkā€™n Gladiator
Did some tinkering with the door (still donā€™t have the JT yet). Was able to reposition (rotate) the dial so the numbers face me when locked, so I donā€™t have to cock my head to dial the combo.

Now Iā€™ve got to try to take the handle off ... seems un-needed since the door is spring-loaded.

anyone have a compelling reason to keep the handle?
Sponsored