Sponsored

Metal Rear Seat Lock Boxes?

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Wonder if a simpler solution would be locking the bottom seats from opening...
I thought the same so I pulled my seats out and looked at the hinge mechanism. Was hoping I could rig something up like locking them in place with a cotter pin or something, but didn't have any luck.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
Wonder if a simpler solution would be locking the bottom seats from opening. The plastic wall wouldn't stop a determined thief with time, but would work well enough for most applications.
It seems to me that's what Jeep should've done originally: made the bottom seats lockable too, same as the folding back portion of the seats.

Then, in stead of a plastic wall, they should've used thick steel, and the net security effect - with the bottom seats locked in the down position - would be the same as having an aftermarket lockbox there.

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
I kept looking for the mechanism for the seat bottoms thinking I may not have it bc I just have a JT Sport. I quickly found the lock for the seat back, but locking the rear seat backs is pretty much useless. How a team of engineers missed lockable seat bottoms is absolutely beyond me! Going to make this my new mission in life to come up w a way to lock the seat base. Will be something simple to deter the casual passerby from poking around in there. Any determined thief will bust apart the plastic wall.

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bumping this thread, ... in case anyone's recently spotted something on the aftermarket (?).

Sponsored

Katch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Green olive Rubicon, Walker Bay RIB and a couple Aprilias
I spoke with Tuffy about 3 months ago. They said they are backed up and don't anticipate anything for our Gladiators this year. I have a friend who does sheet metal work. He thinks he might be able to come up with something.

I did find this YouTube video of someone who made a wood locking case using the same plastic tray. It's not bad, but a complete new design would likely give us a lot more space. Here's the video:

OP
OP
Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spoke with Tuffy about 3 months ago. They said they are backed up and don't anticipate anything for our Gladiators this year. I have a friend who does sheet metal work. He thinks he might be able to come up with something.

I did find this YouTube video of someone who made a wood locking case using the same plastic tray. It's not bad, but a complete new design would likely give us a lot more space. Here's the video:

Interesting!

Thanks for the heads-up.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator

Cant make anything for the gladiator until there are at least 7 options in 30 different colors for the wrangler and the tacoma. Besides, what's a "gladiator" anyway?

Sponsored

mamik

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
Same here.

Well, hopefully, once this CORVID-19 thing is no longer a 'thing,' we can look forward to the aftermarket lockbox vendors catching up to the security elements of our 2020 JTs.
It's now 21, what about our JT's? lol