Sponsored

Is a transmission whine normal in a nearly new gladiator?

D57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 2015 JK
I get the reverse whine on my 21. Haven’t noticed it going forward, but now I’ll pay attention. I have a couple years left on the power train warranty, so I have a little time I guess.
Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
My 21 JTR (90k kms) is on its 4th transmission. #1 - #3 had a whine. #1 had a whine at highway speeds, 8th gear. #2 and 3 had the whine in first and second gear and was determined to be pump malfunction and were replaced.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
Very possible. You are in overdrive or underdrive almost all of the time in these, a lot of planetary gears, lots of planets spinning around those suns.

If I had to give an answer as to whether a transmission whine was bad or not - I'd have to say "maybe, it depends" and I'd want to hear the whine.
Some is normal, and some people have hearing that is more likely to pick up those frequencies than others so to one person it's loud, to another it's like "what whine?"
Depends on the circumstances - gear it's in, load, acceleration, cruising or coasting.....
Just make sure the whine is the transmission and not the differential gears back there. Sounds can travel through metal to other areas. "But the differential and axles are isolated by rubber bushings" - not the driveshaft............ it's a tube that can transmit sounds.

Both of mine whine in reverse like the thing is haunted. My wife even asked what that sound was when I had my first JT and was backing down our 120 foot driveway in reverse.
I have a whine noise only in reverse. When it stops doing that, I'll start getting worried. That's not really true. I also get the same whine in 1st. I'm sure the whine is still there in the other forward gears, I just can't hear it.

Reminds me when my 78 year old friend came over to visit. I heard a loud knock coming from under his hood. He said he didn't hear anything. After opening the hood we found his ratchet and socket still hanging on the tensioner. The handle was just vibrating on the frame.

If I was on my 4th transmission, I think I would look at the common link for the failure. Same dealer?

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
My 21 JTR (90k kms) is on its 4th transmission. #1 - #3 had a whine. #1 had a whine at highway speeds, 8th gear. #2 and 3 had the whine in first and second gear and was determined to be pump malfunction and were replaced.

Are you the person that manually shifted your automatic alot of the time and used the gears to slow yourself down?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Are you the person that manually shifted your automatic alot of the time and used the gears to slow yourself down?
That was found to be unrelated.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I can not confirm or deny I did that. Do you think doing that is a good thing or bad thing?

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
I can not confirm or deny I did that. Do you think doing that is a good thing or bad thing?
I can see the first transmission being a lemon, for whatever reason. Shit happens, human error and all of that during assembly or manufacturing. Having 3 bad transmissions is like winning the powerball lottery.

Of course it's possible the first one was bad and the next two were defective as well because of a mistake by the people who installed it. Or it could be your style of driving is bad for transmissions. My dad for example was hard on transmissions, especially standard transmissions. Reversing an auto and not coming to a complete stop before putting it in drive. Riding gears almost to redline for no good reason on a standard transmission etc.

Some people are just rough on vehicles. Iam not ruling out you won the powerball of bad luck on your transmissions but Iam saying it's more likely that you or the dealership were the factor in premature failure.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I can see the first transmission being a lemon, for whatever reason. Shit happens, human error and all of that during assembly or manufacturing. Having 3 bad transmissions is like winning the powerball lottery.

Of course it's possible the first one was bad and the next two were defective as well because of a mistake by the people who installed it. Or it could be your style of driving is bad for transmissions. My dad for example was hard on transmissions, especially standard transmissions. Reversing an auto and not coming to a complete stop before putting it in drive. Riding gears almost to redline for no good reason on a standard transmission etc.

Some people are just rough on vehicles. Iam not ruling out you won the powerball of bad luck on your transmissions but Iam saying it's more likely that you or the dealership were the factor in premature failure.
The first three transmissions were also during Covid so we had everything from lack of workers, supply issues, quality issues, lack of certain chemicals required to make products etc etc

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I had the German built zf in my ‘14 WK2 and the Mopar built unit in my ‘20 JT. The ZF had a 1st to 2nd whine. The JT also has it, but much louder than the WK2 unit. It bugged me in the WK2. Now with the JT and hearing it’s not that uncommon, I’m coming to terms with it… somewhat, slightly, begrudgingly, maybe…
Sponsored