Sponsored

Is Jeep going to have to build a super Gladiator?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I am really hoping that Jeep decides to drop in the new Hurricane engine in the Gladiator. They could use the base engine, which I think still provides more hp and torque than the 3.6, then offer a version of a super Gladiator with even more hp and 35’s in both the Rubi and Mojave trims.

Win, win for everyone without a lot of extra work for the engineers.

Are you listening Mr. Galante, Mr. Nagode and Mr. Pinto ???

…and while your at it upgrade the shitty shocks on the Rubicon!
Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
The other thing is that the interior of the Chevy truck is just cheap plastic. I don’t know who is head of design for Chevy but they have always had cheap interiors. Even the C8 Corvette’s interior looks like a POS. On the other hand the Jeep’s interior‘s have always been very good.

I will give Chevy cudo’ s for the DSSV shocks. Those things are amazing!

Last edited:

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mohave, 2020 Porsche 911 Turbo
Occupation
Financial Retirement Planner
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-bison-first-look-review/?lid=x12dfbtcp9fp&eml=organic:eml:brz2&utm_source=braze&utm_medium=emaileditorial

Is Jeep going to have to build a super Gladiator, or are the Mojave and Rubicon already there?

At the end of the day, a Mojave or Rubicon will probably out perform all of these stock, but they don’t have the sexy engine numbers or tires stock that non-enthuasists will look to

I think an XR package on the JT would go a long way to address this competition, but until Stellantis stops trying to satisfy WEF EV requirements, it's going to be a loser on the engine front. Maybe the Hurricane will save us
Hard to say. Jeeps are built for specific purposes and have a huge following. I purchased my 1st Jeep 6 months ago - 2023 Mojave and I love it. If I wanted a "luxury" interior I would have purchased a Ford Raptor, which are super nice also.

I do agree that Jeep needs to offer more engine options in the Jeeps to be competitive with the other brands, they are all stepping up.

I DO wish that Jeep offered a 392 for my Mojave. Seems strange to me they only offered one engine option. My guess is that Jeep wants to make sure the Rubicon is the #1 Jeep. We all know the Rubicon is the pride of the Jeep off road fleet. The Mojave cannot do what the Rubicon does rock crawling, BUT, the Rubicon cannot do what the Mojave does desert running. By limiting the Mojave to only one engine, well if you were tossed between the 2 you could at least get the diesel option in the Rubicon.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
IMO, it's really difficult to compare the Gladiator to these other vehicles because of the intangible aspects of the JT. Any time I'm in my Mojave (or JK), no matter where I am going, it feels like some type of adventure. I don't know why. And, I'm in no particular rush to get whereever I'm going. I guess it's just a Jeep thing.

I kind of feel bad because I don't really use any of the Jeep-specific aspects of my JT (like removeable doors & top). It's really just a family truckster that sees an occasional dirt road. Because of this, and wanting a little more power, my plan right now is to get a Ranger Raptor during Summer 2024. But I'm already second-guessing this plan. I really like the JT's vibe.

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
They won't build a "Super Gladiator" that's what they have us for. Why build the ultimate Gladiator when all the aftermarket parts companies will suffer. Half the fun is making it how you want it. The other half is enjoying what you built.

OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
They won't build a "Super Gladiator" that's what they have us for. Why build the ultimate Gladiator when all the aftermarket parts companies will suffer. Half the fun is making it how you want it. The other half is enjoying what you built.
I would venture to say Jeep doesn't give a F about the aftermarket companies anymore

The MFGs don't want the unwashed masses touching their vehicles

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Eh. Trail dig is a fancy toy. Nothing more. I see zero actual and functional use. Its just as easy to do a 5 point turn. And the engine works just fine for me. I am currently sitting a few hundred pounds under GAW and have more than enough power still. This infactuation with doing 0-60 in 2 seconds is whats killing us being as the gov is requiring high mpg averages. But reviving a straight 6 would be pretty awesome.

So long as Wrangler and Gladiator retain a solid front axle, there is zero competition. It stands out among all other options simply because of that. If that ever goes away, it wont be any different than Ranger or Taco anymore. That is IMO what truly sets Jeep above the others in terms of capability, and is what makes it still a Jeep.
Emphasized the exact issue with Jeep, and Jeep owner's tendency for apologism. Hear me out.

"Works just fine" is what I'd say buying a used car within a budget. That is not exciting. 16 mpg, 260 hp sucks. While my engine is reliable, my god it's slow, it's inefficient, and it doesn't make me smile to mash the gas. The 392 gets rave reviews because it has the Jeep soul, with commensurate power. Jeep needs a home run in this front.

Jeep is currently charging tomorrow's prices for yesterday's tech; they are. These are wildly overpriced for what they are. Then, let's look at the field. Who is INNOVATING these days? It isn't Jeep. Toyota's new Tacoma has a ton of nifty features. Same with the Bronco. Same with the Rivian. All these companies are taking the lead with innovation and improvement, while Jeep settles to the sea floor like a bloated whale. Who's dominating KOH and ultra4? Not Jeep. Portals on IFS cars are the future, just wait. Jeep needs to be aggressive, or they will be the next Honda after the 1990s.

I absolutely adore my gladiator. But it isn't alone in this segment, it has room to improve, and constructive criticism, and pushing Jeep to improve is what will make the brand better.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Emphasized the exact issue with Jeep, and Jeep owner's tendency for apologism. Hear me out.

"Works just fine" is what I'd say buying a used car within a budget. That is not exciting. 16 mpg, 260 hp sucks. While my engine is reliable, my god it's slow, it's inefficient, and it doesn't make me smile to mash the gas. The 392 gets rave reviews because it has the Jeep soul, with commensurate power. Jeep needs a home run in this front.

Jeep is currently charging tomorrow's prices for yesterday's tech; they are. These are wildly overpriced for what they are. Then, let's look at the field. Who is INNOVATING these days? It isn't Jeep. Toyota's new Tacoma has a ton of nifty features. Same with the Bronco. Same with the Rivian. All these companies are taking the lead with innovation and improvement, while Jeep settles to the sea floor like a bloated whale. Who's dominating KOH and ultra4? Not Jeep. Portals on IFS cars are the future, just wait. Jeep needs to be aggressive, or they will be the next Honda after the 1990s.

I absolutely adore my gladiator. But it isn't alone in this segment, it has room to improve, and constructive criticism, and pushing Jeep to improve is what will make the brand better.
Old timers like you (and perhaps, me) are the past. Jeep must rely on new customers, future customers - and they aren't begging for or demanding MORE POWER!
In fact, almost the opposite.
Who cares if it does the quarter mile in 4 seconds - where the heck are you going to use that?
They also must sell to a global audience, not a few in the US who demand more power.
Don't expect people in the UK are clamoring for bigger engines, and if you've been to some other places - LOL - might as well use your lawn mower engine for as fast as you can go in normal traffic. You can't get up to a decent speed at all.
Jeep must also comply with the EU, US/California and other rules and laws and regulations - show me a hemi equipped truck that will get the same mpg others can get.

Sorry, in this case, minority doesn't win, and can't win, if Jeep is to remain viable in the future. It's your kids and grandkids that will keep it alive, not the "MORE POWER!" group.
It's not needed, it's just a "I want it because it feels good and I like it" demand.
Besides, the 4xe will handle the torque and power parts of the equation.

I'm just sittin' over here missing the days of carbureted engines, Muncie transmissions, and 2-60 a/c....
Come put my car back together and take it for a spin........sorry, no muncie, but dual quads might make you feel good when it goes sideways after you mash it.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Old timers like you (and perhaps, me) are the past. Jeep must rely on new customers, future customers - and they aren't begging for or demanding MORE POWER!
Who cares if it does the quarter mile in 4 seconds - where the heck are you going to use that?
They also must sell to a global audience, not a few in the US who demand more power.
Don't expect people in the UK are clamoring for bigger engines, and if you've been to some other places - LOL - might as well use your lawn mower engine for as fast as you can go in normal traffic. You can't get up to a decent speed at all.
Jeep must also comply with the EU, US/California and other rules and laws and regulations - show me a hemi equipped truck that will get the same mpg others can get.

Sorry, in this case, minority doesn't win, and can't win, if Jeep is to remain viable in the future. It's your kids and grandkids that will keep it alive, not the "MORE POWER!" group.
It's not needed, it's just a "I want it because it feels good and I like it" demand.

Come put my car back together and take it for a spin........sorry, no muncie, but dual quads might make you feel good when it goes sideways after you mash it.
Why are the biggest competitors unleashing these powerful new engines then? Toyota is a far more global brand than Jeep.

Sponsored

TigerInFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Mojave
Occupation
Design & Sell Inground Pools
who actually gives a crap about what England wants? i doubt they are a target market for the Gladiator with their tight ass parking spaces while they sit there and sip on the afternoon tea. they can continue to buy their Nissan Jukes that have a 1 liter engine and a ton of enviormental contraptions on them. can't even give them away here in the states and if you are seen driving or ridding in one, you are rideiculed for the rest of your entire life. they are actually worse than riding a moped.

no offense to any of my British brothers. my family, from what I can tell came from England. of course that all ended when we won the war.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I would venture to say Jeep doesn't give a F about the aftermarket companies anymore

I respectfully disagree. Jeep for years past and until current has give vehicles to aftermarket companies and builders as commissioned builds leaving the final designs to those people to showcase at events like Easter Jeep Safari and others. Main premise is to inspire customers of what is possible to achieve with their own builds.

Jeep knows that their Wrangler/Gladiator lineup is basically a grown mans "Barbie Doll" in that we like to play dress up and show our friends with our aftermarket add ons. Jeep knows aftermarket parts play a big role in why many if not most purchase the platform to begin with. That is why even at the JL launch, they offered the largest MOPAR accessory selection of any platform to date to capitalize on that.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff

Hear, hear!

Why are the biggest competitors unleashing these powerful new engines then? Toyota is a far more global brand than Jeep.
If you'll notice, they're doing it with hybrid turbo 4 cylinder engines, not bigger engines. A hybrid turbo can still achieve reasonable fuel economy if driven carefully.

Kevin

GobiExploring

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon
Occupation
U.S. Army
I’ve had my Rubicon a year now. I love it. It’s behind the times on interior gadgets and the lack of a truly powerful engine and inability to get factory 35s definitely hurt it’s sales.
The Ranger Raptor for power and the AT4/4x are definitely going to give Jeep and Toyota a run for their money. I don’t think the Tacoma nailed it either.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
I'd be very interested to see what Jeep engineers could do if they were allowed to design a truck from scratch that didn't rely on anything to do with the Wrangler.
You kiss your mother with that mouth?

And the ability to take the doors and roof off, is HUGE, not to be dismissed. Those features alone probably account for a ton of sales.
I wouldn'tve bought a Jeep if I couldn't do this. Most weekends the doors are off.

O' contraire. They owe an unpayable debt of gratitude for all the dishonored warranty claims because of aftermarket parts.
Sponsored

Last edited: