Sponsored

Is Jeep going to have to build a super Gladiator?

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Emphasized the exact issue with Jeep, and Jeep owner's tendency for apologism. Hear me out.

"Works just fine" is what I'd say buying a used car within a budget. That is not exciting. 16 mpg, 260 hp sucks. While my engine is reliable, my god it's slow, it's inefficient, and it doesn't make me smile to mash the gas. The 392 gets rave reviews because it has the Jeep soul, with commensurate power. Jeep needs a home run in this front.

Jeep is currently charging tomorrow's prices for yesterday's tech; they are. These are wildly overpriced for what they are. Then, let's look at the field. Who is INNOVATING these days? It isn't Jeep. Toyota's new Tacoma has a ton of nifty features. Same with the Bronco. Same with the Rivian. All these companies are taking the lead with innovation and improvement, while Jeep settles to the sea floor like a bloated whale. Who's dominating KOH and ultra4? Not Jeep. Portals on IFS cars are the future, just wait. Jeep needs to be aggressive, or they will be the next Honda after the 1990s.

I absolutely adore my gladiator. But it isn't alone in this segment, it has room to improve, and constructive criticism, and pushing Jeep to improve is what will make the brand better.
I understand your point of view. And respectfully disagree. Jeep is innovating. Who else continues to keep updating a solid front axle option? Factory rear and front lockers? It took Toyota decades to finally get a sway disco. And their entine/trans is still terrible. What about all the super cool little easter eggs Jeep continues to put forth on their vehicles. And also building a vehicle that they well know people will alter and upgrade. I don't see Toyota building their trucks so that people can easily slap on a set of 35's with no mods, or 37's with just a small lift.

For what options there are out here. Jeep has hit the ball out of the park way further than anyone else IMO. My JTR is the most comfortable, plush, quiet, powerful, capable vehicle than any other vehicle I have ever owned. Far better than my previous 25 year old diesel pickup.

But - these are all first world problems. I agree that the prices are pretty insane. But compared to other countries, we still have it very very very good. Just a good thing to keep in mind.
Sponsored

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
Out perform? How? On 33s? With a 2012 engine? No trail dig? No underbody cameras? The features on these new trucks make gladiators look like 1990s era tech. Absolutely nothing special to them technology wise. I say that like a father who wants his kids to simply be better, and call a spade a spade. Right now, Jeep is far and away the back of the pack, sharing space with the Nissan Frontier for relevance.

Of course, stand by for "BuT CaN IT TakE tHe DoOrs OfF?" crowd that's content with Jeep bringing up the rear.
I don't think the "give me more tech" crowd is the Jeep core market. There are plenty of good options for "the more complicated and un-fixable, the better" software driven folks and very few for the 'doors off, rugged and simple' crowd. Jeep needs to be who they are and target their market and not try to out-Tesla anybody.

OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I respectfully disagree. Jeep for years past and until current has give vehicles to aftermarket companies and builders as commissioned builds leaving the final designs to those people to showcase at events like Easter Jeep Safari and others. Main premise is to inspire customers of what is possible to achieve with their own builds.

Jeep knows that their Wrangler/Gladiator lineup is basically a grown mans "Barbie Doll" in that we like to play dress up and show our friends with our aftermarket add ons. Jeep knows aftermarket parts play a big role in why many if not most purchase the platform to begin with. That is why even at the JL launch, they offered the largest MOPAR accessory selection of any platform to date to capitalize on that.
That was also a way to get people to buy aftermarket parts from them rather than from the aftermarket

On the Modern Jeeper podcast just a week or two ago they were just talking about how Jeep released blueprints and plans when the JK was new, but wouldn't release anything for JT or JL

Chunky White

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
At the end of the day the JT is the better off road vehicle in my opinion and you have the option of losing doors and the whole roof. You can also put the JT on 37" plus tires which I cannot see any of the others doing without a huge build project or adding wider fiberglass fenders so thats a plus for the JT. For an everyday driver I would be just as happy and possibly happier with the GM twins or the Tacoma which all have a sunroof available that opens with the push of the button. I have not driven the new Frontier so I have no opinion of it but I did not like the Ranger when I drove one. I don't have the time to take the doors and roof on and off multiple times daily and daily drive mine to work 6-7 days per week with unpredictable weather conditions. So I get the use of the freedom tops which I have nowhere other than the back seat to store them on my drive home and the windows on warm days.

They all have their positives and negatives. I enjoy the Jeep and so does my family at times so it will hang around until I see whatever i want next sitting on a local dealers lot. I am missing the Hellcat Challenger already and it's only been five months since i had it. Maybe I need a TRX Ram

Sponsored

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Am I the only one satisfied with what I got? My truck is an awesome DD that will crawl through almost anything to get me to a trout stream or camping spot I want.

IDGAS about trail cameras, more power or anymore electronics. . .

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Am I the only one satisfied with what I got? My truck is an awesome DD that will crawl through almost anything to get me to a trout stream or camping spot I want.

IDGAS about trail cameras, more power or anymore electronics. . .
Oh, I’m satisfied with it, but I want more. I.e. Like when someone stuffed a Rolls-Royce Merlin in a P-51 Mustang. Great airframe with a lot of potentially, but originally an underpowered dog.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Mojave is already a Super Gladiator, only improvements it needs is to get rid of auto-stop/start, fix the inefficient rotary dial interior light control, and a few other minor things brought on by the Nanny State...Oh yea, and get that Nanny State Lady voice to calm down a bit :).

I am not one who has an issue with the engine, I keep wondering what the issue people speak of is all about every time I slam the accelerator. Plenty of power for all my needs...Maybe an issue comes when towing in the Rocky's or competing in an open desert (I'd like to do the latter, but do neither), but short of that I am amazed how well this 6 (my first 6 in 45 years) performs.

And the icing on the cake is the MO interior, it is a luxury vehicle inside compared to most of the other interiors in its space. Drop in the Sun-rider flip top, and it is just a great experience all around.

Lastly, the 4 wheeling capability obtained from MO is class leading for a stock vehicle. Having more ponies will not differentiate your performance in almost all off road scenarios, your skill to make the most of the technology in your truck will.

Last edited:

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I would like the Hurricane not just for power but for efficiency's sake. Accelerating to highway speed to merge or punching it to pass slower traffic is a bit daunting. Low end grunt on the diesel is a game changer on trails- I was in 4Lo grabbing and our friend in the oil burner barely shifted into 4Hi to do the same trail. A torquey straight 6 can do similar if tuned properly without the diesel tax.

You can keep the rest of the doodads, that's just more stuff to go wrong. More USB ports (like on the top of the dash) would be a huge add from the factory but not a deal breaker. But please, for the love of all that is good and right, design better seats. 400+ mile road trips are not exactly a cake walk.

MMMojave

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired LEO - Current College Professor
I think some just have to find issues with everything. I have had my Mojave Gladiator for about 4 weeks. I also own a Charger Hellcat and Durango RT. I could have bought just about any vehicle on the market and I have NEVER owned a Jeep.
I have to admit this Gladiator really makes me smile while driving it and I enjoy just looking at it while its in the driveway. The aftermarket support is just loaded with anything you could ever want to do. I am thoroughly happy with mine.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I don't think the "give me more tech" crowd is the Jeep core market. There are plenty of good options for "the more complicated and un-fixable, the better" software driven folks and very few for the 'doors off, rugged and simple' crowd. Jeep needs to be who they are and target their market and not try to out-Tesla anybody.
So you want a pre 2000's vehicle because cars haven't been that way for 15-20 years. Modern vehicles are run fully by electronics, sensors, and computers that can and will shut it down (diesel emissions system anyone?). The creature comforts on the other hand don't have any bearing on it running or not, perhaps something extra to fix but not making it any less reliable than it already is.

The fact that 40% of wranglers are now 4xe negates the jeep folk don't love tech argument. People love tech and modern jeep owners love tech. The majority of them drive to the soccer field, the grocery store, and road trips, not Moab windrock or mud holes. Even a large chunk of the ones that do do that and use it as a daily driver also have an expectation of it being equivalent to a modern car and not an outdated penalty box. If not they'd just buy an old jk and call it a day.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
So you want a pre 2000's vehicle because cars haven't been that way for 15-20 years. Modern vehicles are run fully by electronics, sensors, and computers that can and will shut it down (diesel emissions system anyone?). The creature comforts on the other hand don't have any bearing on it running or not, perhaps something extra to fix but not making it any less reliable than it already is.

The fact that 40% of wranglers are now 4xe negates the jeep folk don't love tech argument. People love tech and modern jeep owners love tech. The majority of them drive to the soccer field, the grocery store, and road trips, not Moab windrock or mud holes. Even a large chunk of the ones that do do that and use it as a daily driver also have an expectation of it being equivalent to a modern car and not an outdated penalty box. If not they'd just buy an old jk and call it a day.
Less than 25% of wranglers sold last year were 4Xe. That number would be a lot smaller if the $7,500 tax credit was removed.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Less than 25% of wranglers sold last year were 4Xe. That number would be a lot smaller if the $7,500 tax credit was removed.
First quarter of 2023 was 38%, it's only increasing even with the credit cut to 3750 because unlike the forums real average people like the idea of more power, better fuel economy.

"Total U.S. sales of the Jeep Cherokee increased 31% in the first quarter versus same quarter last year. The Jeep Wrangler 4xe total U.S. sales increased 72% over the same period last year. The Jeep Wrangler 4xe, the first-ever electrified Jeep Wrangler, remains *America’s best-selling plug-in hybrid vehicle, with 14,392 (38%) of total Jeep Wrangler sales in the first quarter of 2023."

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
First quarter of 2023 was 38%, it's only increasing even with the credit cut to 3750 because unlike the forums real average people like the idea of more power, better fuel economy.

"Total U.S. sales of the Jeep Cherokee increased 31% in the first quarter versus same quarter last year. The Jeep Wrangler 4xe total U.S. sales increased 72% over the same period last year. The Jeep Wrangler 4xe, the first-ever electrified Jeep Wrangler, remains *America’s best-selling plug-in hybrid vehicle, with 14,392 (38%) of total Jeep Wrangler sales in the first quarter of 2023."
I guess time will tell. I was tempted by the tax credit last year but decided to hold off. I think it’s telling that the Gladiator wasn’t even mentioned as a comparison in the Bison article, while the Tacoma and Ranger were. If Jeep puts the Hurricane or a 5.7 in the Gladiator, I’ll order a new one immediately. You listening Jeep??

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mohave, 2020 Porsche 911 Turbo
Occupation
Financial Retirement Planner
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, it's really difficult to compare the Gladiator to these other vehicles because of the intangible aspects of the JT. Any time I'm in my Mojave (or JK), no matter where I am going, it feels like some type of adventure. I don't know why. And, I'm in no particular rush to get whereever I'm going. I guess it's just a Jeep thing.

I kind of feel bad because I don't really use any of the Jeep-specific aspects of my JT (like removeable doors & top). It's really just a family truckster that sees an occasional dirt road. Because of this, and wanting a little more power, my plan right now is to get a Ranger Raptor during Summer 2024. But I'm already second-guessing this plan. I really like the JT's vibe.
I can see that. I think people buy Jeeps for a "lifestyle" meaning to go off road, camp, take off top, doors off, etc.... where 98% of all other vehicles cannot do this
Sponsored